Topic: Galaxies at War (The mod)  (Read 30471 times)

DarkMatrix

Re: Logo Concepts
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2003, 11:05:13 am »
yep np with that

DM

DarkMatrix

« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2003, 12:31:27 pm »
all welcome Karnak to the GAWtm Development team he is filling the Mission Scripter slot for us

DM

Karnak

« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2003, 12:40:05 pm »
Thanks DM,  I'm very impressed with the work y'all have started and glad to be here.  As some may know already I already have 14 combat missions in EEK v2.0 (http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/u/ruyger/Missions.htm)  that have been dyna-tested on two major SFC2 dyna this year (SG3 and SS2).  For this mod, I can expand it out to 25 missions that should encompass all the mission needs for the GAW mod.

Now, that we have a base mission pack for the mod that can interact properly with the modded shiplist then we can look into tweaking it to make some of the Tholian and Andros features come alive in every mission run in the GAW modded campaign and/or storyline.  Let me know what we need to do.  My first impression is that we should definitely try to get some kind of web caster weapon going for the Tholians and maybe plunk Phaser 4s on the Andros ships to simulate TR beams.  

DarkMatrix

« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2003, 12:46:23 pm »
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/starfade/GAWSIG2.jpg

Add to get the new logo for the lefthand side of your sig if you like it

DM

i really have to get ready for work lol

Karnak

« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2003, 12:54:31 pm »
Thanks DM.

I also put the GAW sigfile in my signature like Toasty0 did. I hope it's OK.  

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2003, 01:00:42 pm »
DarkMatrix, I'm on the forums and will chime in there tonight. Welcome aboard Karnak! I vote for a campaing version of SFC1's Repair Roundevous and at least one monster mission based on the SFC1 mission: The Quantum Factor (at Starfleet Universe). BTW: What is wrong with the blue TRB beams SFC: OP already uses?

KF  

Karnak

« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2003, 01:06:58 pm »
Quote:

DarkMatrix, I'm on the forums and will chime in there tonight. Welcome aboard Karnak! I vote for a campaing version of SFC1's Repair Roundevous and at least one monster mission based on the SFC1 mission: The Quantum Factor (at Starfleet Universe). BTW: What is wrong with the blue TRB beams SFC: OP already uses?

KF  

Sorry, I'm still too much in EAW mode. What is the weapon spec for TRB used in the shiplist.txt file?

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Karnak »

Rod O'neal

« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2003, 01:10:27 pm »
KF,
This is the order that I've used so far. If we move these I'll have to redo the work that I've already started.

OrionWyldeFire=Andromedan
OrionCamboro=WYN
OrionTigerHeart=LDR

Here's some thoughts on the others.

Tholians could be OrionOrion, OrionKorgath, or OrionPrime. They were located in SFB in an area that bordered all three races. Their actual location was Klingon space. They were partially allied with the Feds and the Feds shared technology with them, photons for example. I'm planning on giving them Plasma Snares. Putting them in Romulan space would keep them in the Plasma sector of the galaxy for technology purposes. OrionOrion would probably be the most Geographically correct as they seperated the Romulan and Klingon Empires. A very important fact in the history of the General War.

Seltorians could be OrionKorgath or OrionBeastRaiders. They actually settled in Klingon space and should probably go there. I would just put them there except you had mentioned wanting to keep an independent Klingon House in the game. So, we could put them in Hydran space, if you'd rather do it that way. They're "Beastly" things anyway. Of course, nothing stops us from putting a Klingon cartel in Hydran space. Except for the BeastRaider voices. Even Klingons don't sound that stupid. [humor alert]

Mirror Federation maybe could go OrionSyndicate, OrionPrime or OrionOrion. Since they're from an alternate universe they don't have to align with any particular location on the map. They just crossed some Universal portal or rift and could have ended up anywhere. If they're in Fed space they'd be in the middle of everyone and we could make them just generally aggressive to everyone. If they're in Gorn space their would be some limited access to Federation technology for repairs etc. Politically they remind me more of Romulans than any other race and I could imagine they could get aligned with them in an attempt to build their Empire here.

The two remaining pirate cartels could be a mix of all the technologies for the side of the galaxy that they're on. They both could have access to Fed tech but other than that would stick with the East/West Technology division. Mixing the two technologies indiscriminately can create balance issues.

Anyone else have input or preferences on where to put them and why they would like them there? I don't want to just choose and find out that someone else had a great idea that no one else thought of and we never heard it.

Yes KF. I'd appreciate any help on the spec files. If you would do the aastrings file that would be terrific.      

Rod O'neal

« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2003, 01:27:12 pm »
Quote:

Well, for one thing I just learnt about them, hehe.  I stand corrected. TRB on the Andros it is.  Sorry, I'm still too much in EAW mode.

That's actually great news cuz now  all I have worry about with weapons is the Tholian web-caster.

Hi Karnak. Welcome on. Scripts for the mod is the whipped cream, cherries, and nuts on top of the "mod parfait" Do you think Operation Unity is doable?

You mentioned webcasters. Do you have any ideas for them? I was just planning on using Plasma Snares. What do you think?  

Karnak

« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2003, 02:24:57 pm »
The scripts can control the spead of enemy target ships.  It's also easy to tie in the web-caster into a pre-existing interface like deep space scanners or firing a probe.  The only missing piece is catching the event of the weapons hitting the target. The more I think about I like the idea of using probes to catch the weapon's hit event  that uses a range algorithm to determine hit success and make the enemy stop for a while. Ergo, the web-caster effect. We can, of course, time the weapons to only fire for a set time period like every minute (ie. 2 combat turns).  We can even shut down the enemy ship's weapons (ie. put enemy at Yellow alert and keep them there for a set time period) when the web-caster hits.

What was your idea for the plasma snare?  I really need to read that OP manual and see if it's a pre-existing weapon, hehe.

BTW, I just talked to XC.  We have their full support to run a GAW dyna test server when the mod is ready for beta testing in case we want to take advantage of their T3 pipe and souped-up servers.  

3 MOOs for xenocorp.net!!

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2003, 04:32:08 pm »
Quote:

The scripts can control the spead of enemy target ships.  It's also easy to tie in the web-caster into a pre-existing interface like deep space scanners or firing a probe.  The only missing piece is catching the event of the weapons hitting the target. The more I think about I like the idea of using probes to catch the weapon's hit event  that uses a range algorithm to determine hit success and make the enemy stop for a while. Ergo, the web-caster effect. We can, of course, time the weapons to only fire for a set time period like every minute (ie. 2 combat turns).  We can even shut down the enemy ship's weapons (ie. put enemy at Yellow alert and keep them there for a set time period) when the web-caster hits.

What was your idea for the plasma snare?  I really need to read that OP manual and see if it's a pre-existing weapon, hehe.

BTW, I just talked to XC.  We have their full support to run a GAW dyna test server when the mod is ready for beta testing in case we want to take advantage of their T3 pipe and souped-up servers.  

3 MOOs for xenocorp.net!!

Karnak,

As you know by now the plasma E (snare) is a pre-exisiting SFC: OP weapon. Tracey Greenough mentioned using an algorythim to simulate the web effect in the Tholian Web script so I think you are on to something here. Perhaps she shoud be summoned into this project.

Rod O' Neal,

I'm in agreement with you on the Cartels but I need a NAME and SLOT for the Eastern and Western Pirate cartels.

KF

Toasty0

« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2003, 05:02:05 pm »
Quote:

yep np with that

DM  

Thanks.

btw, if you guys need bandwidth for this project just PM me. I have a whole site that I'm using for development so I use very little of the storage capacity. Need files hosted for GaW let me know.

Best,
Jerry  

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2003, 05:04:57 pm »
Proposed OrionCartel slots:

Orion = Unplayable NEUTRAL ones for Western Pirates

OrionOrion = Tholians (for location)

OrionKorgath = Keep as is

OrionPrime = Mirror Universe Imperials

OrionBeastRaiders = Seltorians

OrionSyndicate = Eastern Pirates (canon name)

OrionWyldeFire = Andromedan (for location)

Orion Camboro = WYN

OrionTigerHeart = LDR

If this is acceptable I will get the aastrings fixed appropriately and sent off.

KF
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 06:34:42 pm by Klingon Fanatic »

Rod O'neal

« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2003, 06:30:38 pm »
Works for me. What name do you plan on using for the Syndicate?
 Thanks, KF.  

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2003, 06:37:18 pm »
Quote:

Works for me. What name do you plan on using for the Syndicate?
 Thanks, KF.  

I would recommend a mix of FASA canon and non-canon Pirate ships for at least one cartel; the other could be filled by DarkMatrix's take on the STOCK PIRATES.

KF

Karnak

« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2003, 06:54:12 pm »
Quote:

Karnak,
All of that sounds really interesting. Actually, it sounds pretty amazing!!! Anyway to make the Andro SatShips a transportable object? (If you tell me yes. I'm gonna have to change my underwear!)

The plasma snare is a plasma torp that has the ability to slow the target temporarily as well as do 20pts of damage. The Webcaster has a direct fire mode that does damage or can cast web to catch/slow the target. If you can do the cast web trick through the API then we could give the Tholians Disruptors or something to use for the direct fire mode.

I want to hear more about what you can do with the API. This sounds really interesting. Maybe post it on the  GAW mod forum that Stylsy set up for us?  

Yes, I see what you are talking about with the Plasma Snare. That weapon is more suited to simulating the Web Snare weapon developed by the original Tholians after the Neo-Tholians arrived during the General War.    The web-castor developed by the Neo-Tholians is more of a direct fire weapon and  we need to block the enemy's weapons fire also to truly simulate the web effect.

I'll talk to you more on this in the GAW Development forum.

Desty_Nova

« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2003, 07:59:52 pm »
Quote:

Proposed OrionCartel slots:

Orion = Unplayable NEUTRAL ones for Western Pirates

OrionOrion = Tholians (for location)

OrionKorgath = Keep as is

OrionPrime = Mirror Universe Imperials

OrionBeastRaiders = Seltorians

OrionSyndicate = Eastern Pirates (canon name)

OrionWyldeFire = Andromedan (for location)

Orion Camboro = WYN

OrionTigerHeart = LDR

If this is acceptable I will get the aastrings fixed appropriately and sent off.

KF  

Excellent. I highly approve.

Potemkin

Re: Galaxies at War (The mod)
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2003, 08:23:39 pm »
YeeeeeeHaaaaaa!!!

Let's do this!!!

Po~  

Potemkin

Re: Galaxies at War
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2003, 08:29:23 pm »

Quote:

As for Andromedans, I would urge the use of implementing uniform Andromedan shield (Non-regenerative, no labs?) value in increments of 25 (e.g. 25 FF, 50 DD, 75 CL, 100 CA, etc..) IMHO, this would reflect some of the Andromedan ability to manage energy/power better than the galatic powers. If they are really the BORG of the TOS/TMP this makes them harder to defeat without more than one ship. As for TRBs we have light and heavy TRBs and the Displacement device can be 'simulated' via the improved cloak....  

Remember, the Andros were just about undefeatable.  In my experience, they were undefeatable - under a competent commander.  

TRLs should only be used on the smaller ships - DD and FF classes.  Not the HDD class.  

Just my opinion as an experienced SFB Andromedan player.

Po~  

Desty_Nova

Re: Galaxies at War
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2003, 08:33:48 pm »
What he said