Topic: Been a while, something I whipped up in the past few days.  (Read 16671 times)

Rogue

Re: Been a while, something I whipped up in the past few days.
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2003, 07:01:25 pm »
Quote:

I belive those are early sensor arrays not windows. I know thier placement doesnt make any sense. then again lots of things on TOS ships didnt make sense Still we put em on to retain the "classic" look of the TOS era ships  

Yet more sensors? Well, I suppose you have to have a broad spectrum of sensor devices to have as many senses as you can in deep space. I guess it's like sight, hearing, smell, touch... etc. Hmmm... Do starships smell? If so what do they smell like? Can you purchase the scent to get that new starship smell?  

Gosh, I'm sorry. This will be the last OT comment on my part. We now return you to a master at work...  

Atrahasis

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2003, 08:04:35 pm »
Some sources say they are hatches, but if they are what are they doing glowing?

anduril

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2003, 09:11:19 pm »
Yes sources do say that.  And actually only three of them are supposed glow since there was no lighting under the fourth.

Atrahasis

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2003, 11:22:52 am »
I say they could be reaction control thrusters. Yes, I know they don't in any way fire off to the sides to be proper reaction control thrusters, but it could be that the vectors are manipulated with force fields. Ever wonder how a ship like the Enterprise (any of the Enterprises) applies reverse-thrust with its impulse engines, when the only impulse engines it has are at the back and none at the front? The only......ONLY......way to be able to do this is if the impulse exhaust is re-vectored at some point outside of the ship so that it traces the path of a square bracket " [ " using force fields. If impulse exhaust can be re-vectored like that, I don't see why reaction control thrusters can't.  

anduril

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2003, 02:06:31 pm »
Going with the late TOS era and the probable mixture of TMP ships coming into action line of thought I added the Phase 2 bridge and a bit of Excelsior'ish detail around the b and c decks.

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2003, 02:27:19 pm »

Caesar approves. I feel sorry for the Gauls now...  

Desty_Nova

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2003, 06:54:28 pm »
LOL @ Lord Schtupp!

Looking great Anduril! I'm really looking forward to getting this one!

E_Look

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2003, 11:37:54 pm »
LS, um, did you make ol' Julie's eyes look like they're rolling or was it that way already??

Atrahasis

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2003, 08:45:20 am »
Bump for you, A. You da man.

Kaenyne

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2003, 08:50:39 am »
Swwwweet!

She'll be a great addition to either my TOS OR TMP fleet!

I'm looking forward to this beauty!

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2003, 06:20:05 am »
Too nice to be on page Two  

Pataflafla

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2003, 08:10:02 am »
WOW!!!! That's beautiful!!!!!!

Anthony_Scott

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2003, 10:28:02 am »
Quote:

Concur

Semper Fi, Carry On

Fire Blade

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2003, 12:16:36 pm »
BUMP for news  

Rogue

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2003, 01:23:24 pm »
Quote:

Yes it is, isn't it. Anyone expect less? Anduril always made good ships but start looking at his more recent texture maps. As good as anyones, IMHO.  

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2003, 03:05:16 pm »
Bump

Parislord

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2003, 10:59:33 pm »
Quote:

I say they could be reaction control thrusters. Yes, I know they don't in any way fire off to the sides to be proper reaction control thrusters, but it could be that the vectors are manipulated with force fields. Ever wonder how a ship like the Enterprise (any of the Enterprises) applies reverse-thrust with its impulse engines, when the only impulse engines it has are at the back and none at the front? The only......ONLY......way to be able to do this is if the impulse exhaust is re-vectored at some point outside of the ship so that it traces the path of a square bracket " [ " using force fields. If impulse exhaust can be re-vectored like that, I don't see why reaction control thrusters can't.  

This is called a "thrust-reverser" in aircraft engines.  Basically, it's a pair of clamshell-like bits that close aft of the nozzel, directing the thrust forward.  Good call, Atra!  A hard sci-fi answer to treknobable.

Your reaction control thrusters could also be imagined to be electronically-scanned like a phased-array radar antenna.

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2003, 11:57:26 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

This is called a "thrust-reverser" in aircraft engines.  Basically, it's a pair of clamshell-like bits that close aft of the nozzel, directing the thrust forward.  Good call, Atra!  A hard sci-fi answer to treknobable.

Your reaction control thrusters could also be imagined to be electronically-scanned like a phased-array radar antenna.  

The impulse engine "exhausts" become "intakes" during reverse operation, the entire unit tractoring or sucking the ship backwards.

Atrahasis

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2003, 12:08:22 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The impulse engine "exhausts" become "intakes" during reverse operation, the entire unit tractoring or sucking the ship backwards.

I'm sorry, but would that work well in space where there is very little to be sucked in?

Hmmmm might be possible though, I hadn't considered that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Atrahasis »

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2003, 12:52:45 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sorry, but would that work well in space where there is very little to be sucked in?

Hmmmm might be possible though, I hadn't considered that.  

Ah yes I thought you might ask that..

The Schtupp Suck Theory of Reverse Impulse Propulsion (or SUCKRIP):

The impulse coils act as attractor plates for interstellar hydrogen (and in later impulse technology subspace anti-neutrons) sucked in at near lightspeed, where Newtonian two-body physics explain the relative movement between the ship and the hydrogen nuclei. Impulse engines glow blue during reverse operation.

Heck- SUCKRIP works so good, they shoulda' put the engines in front...