Topic: Note: Any Chris Jones Mod and the Patch  (Read 4735 times)

Chris Jones

Note: Any Chris Jones Mod and the Patch
« on: February 25, 2003, 06:08:47 am »
It appears that Modified gf files, as in replacements for the original ships -- Akira, Galaxy, Sov, etc..    cause the patch to hang up and not install.

Solution..   new install of SFC3, install patch, and wait for the mod update.   Here's why.

The SFC3 mods in current form will not work with the patch - because I did a lot of mixed tech on the races, and the patch does not allow race tech mixing. There is a gf file I can change, but I will need time to do the updates.  

I plan to take the 3 parts of the TNG Mega Mod off line -- and replace them with one big mod the works with the patch, which means time.

The Mods change most of the stock ships to different models.

I'm posting now because I will get questions about this.

Never had this problem with EAW or OP. All I had to do was change to the right spec files before I installed a new patch.
Those days are gone, I spose.  

Rod O'neal

Re: Note: Any Chris Jones Mod and the Patch
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2003, 09:13:16 am »
Will you be able to do a "patch" for the mod or will the whole thing need to be DL'd again? We shouldn't need to DL the models again too I imagine.

Vichama

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 12:00:56 am »
If this patch is the same beta patch that was up for dl awhile back then I think you might just need to change the following file.

- !!!ATTENTION!!! - If you have installed any patches (including the beta patch) for SFC3 then you will need to edit the "ItemRules.gf" file in the Activition\Sfc3\Assets\CommonSettings folder.

Just change this...

Name = "ItemRules"
[Mixing]
MixRacialTech = 0

...to this.  Save, then close the file, and enjoy the mod! =)

Name = "ItemRules"
[Mixing]
MixRacialTech = 1

If anyone who has cj's mod trys this post a reply and tell us if it worked.    Also can someone tell me what the build is on the patch that activision has on its site?  

The_Pelican

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 01:30:28 pm »
I'm running my own mod, which works on the same principles as Chris Jone's mod, and all I had to do was reinstall SF3, install the beta patch, install my mod, then edit the "ItemRules.gf" file as you said, so far it has worked perfectly.

They still haven't fixed the most annoying bug on the game though, where the Stardate will not progress if you've loaded a saved game.

Chris Jones

TNG Mega-Mod bug
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 01:57:05 pm »
The TNG Mega-Mod is having a bug.

I did a re-install of the game, patched it,  and copied in the agt folder, the batch files, and all the models from  the 1.00 game.

Now,  every time the player's ship dies, just before the explosion, I get either a runtime error or an Unhandled exception error.  Every time.  FYI the AI ships explode just fine, no problems there.

When runnnig original patch files it is fine.. I was on the D3 last night with the beta patch -- worked fine.

I'll be digging into the files to see what is up.. but if you guys have any ideas that would be great.. and thanks for any help.

Chris Jones  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Chris Jones »

The_Pelican

Re: TNG Mega-Mod bug
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 04:21:33 pm »
Solved it, it's the strings.txt file, they've changed it in the beta patch. And your overwriting it with your mod, it's looking for something in the strings file, and it's not where it's supposed to be, or not there at all, and it just crashes.

I sent you an e-mail, just in case you didn't check the board.

Chris Jones

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2003, 04:59:57 pm »
Damn good work..

just got home.. I'll fire it up after dinner!

thanks man!

The_Pelican

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2003, 05:14:26 pm »
Needed to work it out for my own mod, I just went through all the original files that would get overwritten, and then put them back 1 by 1, as soon as the strings file went in, everything worked again. As soon as I put an old one there, back to the exception errors.

Gotta love trial and error.

Chris Jones

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2003, 08:05:08 am »
Pelican --

using the mod can you check out the Wolf 359 option in single player..

The Cube does not show up for me.. and it does with un-modded specs.
I put the original, much bigger pre-patch cube in - no luck.

I am thinking the cube needs to have a certain loadout, as in the original,  to work properly with that Wolf 359 script.. have not had time to test it..

My plan is to put you in the mod credits as a beta tester..

thanks mucho for your help..

Chris

The_Pelican

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2003, 10:17:55 am »
Easy one this one, look in the original DefaultLoadOut file(1.01), in the Borg section, right near the end you'll see a ship with the SubName "Cube W359".

Copy that line, and add it to your own DefaultLoadOut file, then rewrite as you see fit, as long as the SubName is always "Cube W359", then it will load up in the Wolf 359 skirmish battle.