Topic: Do You Like Odd Plants and Trees?  (Read 5561 times)

Stormbringer

Do You Like Odd Plants and Trees?
« on: March 22, 2004, 08:49:12 pm »
Coffee, tequila, mahogony bananas, Ginkos, any weird plant you could name. I'm bringing this up because I was thinking about the yard for my new house and want to put some really odd trees and plants out there and this is one of the best I've found for rare and not so rare plants and trees.

D'oh!!  here is the URL:  Strange trees and stuff
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 09:29:29 pm by Stormbringer »

Stormbringer

Re: Do You Like Odd Plants and Trees?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 09:34:35 pm »
The URL is there now BUMP!

Tremok

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 10:43:00 pm »
 Why, I can even get the seeds to a tree I've always wanted: a California Redwood. It will do nicely in my backyard, I think.

<snicker>  

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Tremok »

Stormbringer

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 11:13:36 pm »
Why not? If you can get the darned thing to grow you'd be the envy of your neighbors.   unless you live in northern Cali that is. I just like the challenge of growing exotics.

Tremok

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 11:35:09 pm »
 Well, considering I live in a neighborhood of big but tightly packed houses with relatively little yards I think the emotion most of my neighbors will be feeling towards me when the tree really begins to grow will not so much be "envy" as much as "intense hatred."

Also, that the tree is picky about it's climate and that it requires several hundred years to mature might pose small problems.

In all honesty, I would like to someday plant and nurture a tree that will grow as I grow. My father did such. Had a very nice pecan tree. A pity it was cut down by the family that bought the house after we moved out. (Dad was not at all happy when he learned that happen. Not all all.)  

Stormbringer

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 11:47:58 pm »
You're not immorta? If they get uppity threaten to cut it down. It might "accidenetally" fall in thier direction. That tree only germinats a couple out of every thousand seeds. So it has a low germination rate. As to it being climate picky the zone is within two planting zones of my area. Gardeners often try growing out of zone as a personal challenge.  

TB613

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 05:37:06 am »
Tropical plants, well I guess I can forget that being that Duluth is in zone 4 only because the lake keeps us warm (a relative thing) in the winter.    

Sirgod

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 11:11:11 am »
I'll have to get you in touch with My friends Mike's Parents. they practicly live in a forest up IN NE OK. Plenty of Moon Flowers, and a Cherry tree that  Grows and looks like a Weeping willow.

The moon flowers are pretty Cool, white blossoms, that open as It get's dark. It also seems to be able to grow in just about any Oklahoma Soil.

If I may suggest, Make sure you get a soil sample test from Various locations around your property, as this might help you to decide what trees/plants to put where.

stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 11:17:39 am »
Yep Eastern OK is a completely different nature from the dust bowl areas. In fact, those redwoods would probably grow there in the eastern mountain ranges around Beaver's bend and broken bow. I will test the soil but I am not above completely amending the soil to get the environment I need.  

Stormbringer

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 08:49:12 pm »
Coffee, tequila, mahogony bananas, Ginkos, any weird plant you could name. I'm bringing this up because I was thinking about the yard for my new house and want to put some really odd trees and plants out there and this is one of the best I've found for rare and not so rare plants and trees.

Stormbringer

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 09:34:35 pm »

Tremok

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 10:43:00 pm »
 Why, I can even get the seeds to a tree I've always wanted: a California Redwood. It will do nicely in my backyard, I think.

<snicker>  

Stormbringer

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2004, 11:13:36 pm »
Why not? If you can get the darned thing to grow you'd be the envy of your neighbors.   unless you live in northern Cali that is. I just like the challenge of growing exotics.

Tremok

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 11:35:09 pm »
 Well, considering I live in a neighborhood of big but tightly packed houses with relatively little yards I think the emotion most of my neighbors will be feeling towards me when the tree really begins to grow will not so much be "envy" as much as "intense hatred."

Also, that the tree is picky about it's climate and that it requires several hundred years to mature might pose small problems.

In all honesty, I would like to someday plant and nurture a tree that will grow as I grow. My father did such. Had a very nice pecan tree. A pity it was cut down by the family that bought the house after we moved out. (Dad was not at all happy when he learned that happen. Not all all.)  

Stormbringer

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2004, 11:47:58 pm »
You're not immorta? If they get uppity threaten to cut it down. It might "accidenetally" fall in thier direction. That tree only germinats a couple out of every thousand seeds. So it has a low germination rate. As to it being climate picky the zone is within two planting zones of my area. Gardeners often try growing out of zone as a personal challenge.  

TB613

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2004, 05:37:06 am »
Tropical plants, well I guess I can forget that being that Duluth is in zone 4 only because the lake keeps us warm (a relative thing) in the winter.    

Sirgod

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2004, 11:11:11 am »
I'll have to get you in touch with My friends Mike's Parents. they practicly live in a forest up IN NE OK. Plenty of Moon Flowers, and a Cherry tree that  Grows and looks like a Weeping willow.

The moon flowers are pretty Cool, white blossoms, that open as It get's dark. It also seems to be able to grow in just about any Oklahoma Soil.

If I may suggest, Make sure you get a soil sample test from Various locations around your property, as this might help you to decide what trees/plants to put where.

stephen

Stormbringer

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2004, 11:17:39 am »
Yep Eastern OK is a completely different nature from the dust bowl areas. In fact, those redwoods would probably grow there in the eastern mountain ranges around Beaver's bend and broken bow. I will test the soil but I am not above completely amending the soil to get the environment I need.  

Stormbringer

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2004, 08:49:12 pm »

Stormbringer

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2004, 09:34:35 pm »