Topic: Just an Idea...  (Read 2259 times)

Merlinfmct87

Just an Idea...
« on: June 06, 2004, 02:31:44 pm »
I just re-installed Half-Life. I had some free Hard Drive space and decided that HL was a good way to spend it(SFC, EAW and OP are already installed).

I also came across a mod for Half-Life that got my mind going. It's called Spirit of Half Life, and it's not for players. It's for Modders who want to try new tools and toys. How it does this is it adds to the Half Life API/SDK, adding new libraries to the kit.

The whole point of the mod is to expand and complete the tools a modder has available to him...HL never had boats that could go across water before...now it does, not to mention(from what I'm told) you can jump off the boat and swim around in 3-D.

I also keep hearing how many features of SFB are not avalable in SFC--Scout Ships, Command Cruisers, all these shp classes are rendered moot.

So what I'm asking is this: Is it possible to take the SFC OP API and add "Scout Functions?" I would envision this as an interface in the Communication Panel so you can give advanced orders to your crew...sort of like a directory tree.

I.E., you click on the "Sensor" button and click "Loan ECM to Target" and boom, ECM loaned, and the menu is reset to home.

This idea has already seen use in the SFB_OP mod, what with Andromedan DIsplacement Devices and Tholian Webs.

Once the API is done, the scripts in EAW and OP would be Re-Compiled with the new features...sort of along the lines of Re-Compiling the EAW campaign missions for OP.

So what I'm asking is this: TracyG, Karnak, Centauri Vaughan, all the Scripting Gods, can this be done, and would you do it? Can you look over the SFB rules(assuming you haven't already) and add what's missing?

I hope I didn't stomp in it or ask for something that's impossible or has been requested 10 times over.

Merlin