Topic: Can Anyone Tell Me Why an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton...  (Read 2573 times)

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
Can Anyone Tell Me Why an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton...
« on: January 13, 2005, 11:53:31 pm »
... costs so the heck much MORE, now than eight or nine months ago??

I had built pretty nice rig for my older one, a green Raidmax with plexiglass side and two green LED glowey fans, revolving around a DFI NForce 2 Ultra 400 mobo, said CPU chip, and the ATI Radeon 9500 (no "L", alas) vid card.  That Barton 2500+ was a very nice, fast AND AFFORDABLE chip.  That's why I got it.

Now, the other one may soon need his cut of the PC action, so I started to collect parts again, you know, the way most of you do, in sales, specials, using coupons, etc.

But I can't find the same CPU (retail boxed, the way I like 'em [mainly for the 3 year warranty]) at a decent price!

Why is it that Athlon XPs with faster clock speeds are even cheaper??

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 12:24:23 am »
Probably no longer made, and as a good chip is still in demand - looks like basic supply and demand. Good products never stay in production long, its bad capitalism. As soon as an excess in product quality is detected any self respecting profit monger will immediately reduce the quality of the product and increase the price... ;)

Compare a 2.8GHz Celeron to a 1000MHz Tualatin PIII - the Tualatin PIII wins hands down, beats many P4 chips too...

Try pricing a 32 pin SIMM RAM module now... or better yet a 16 pin... the cost is shocking for such old and small memory.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Why an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton...
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 01:02:49 am »
Probably no longer made, ...

Uh oh...

... Try pricing a 32 pin SIMM RAM module now... or better yet a 16 pin... the cost is shocking for such old and small memory.

I heard about that one.  I remember chuckling then... not now!

Ah, well, time to research other cost effective chips.