Topic: 10 minutes of Batman  (Read 8202 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
10 minutes of Batman
« on: May 31, 2005, 03:08:40 pm »
http://www.alldumb.com/item/11885/

Kinda cool. From the new movie of course.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
Re: 10 minutes of Batman
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 03:42:43 pm »
Seems cool, but ignores alot of things continuity wise, at least from what I've come to learn about batman.  Definately ignores alot of things about the previous movies.
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 03:51:01 pm »
That's because it is a restart, not a prequel.  It's an alternate universe, like how many tried to label Enterprise as when they didn't like it for this or that reason (myself included, especially around summer of 2001 before it began).

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 09:33:47 pm »
Yeah.  The worst things I've heard about the new one are that it's 'nothing like the other movies' when in fact it's not intended to be.  Honestly, the Batman comic book canon was never quite adhered to in those on the most sketchy level, so I don't see how that's going to be an issue with this one...trying to piece together a 'timeline' or 'what really happened with Character Z' with DC comics is nearly impossible to begin with.  I think that might be why it was easier to make a Superman or Batman movie that worked as opposed to some of the Marvel titles, which have only recently been done well...there's a lot more room to breathe for the writers and the directors doing DC stuff.

In any case, the cast, concept and other such from this one looks good to me.  I read a bit on IMDB that said the director sat the cast down to watch 'Blade Runner' then said 'that's how we're making Batman'.

That sounds like how it ought to be done.  At least we won't be getting another neon-lit Schumacher nightmare.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 09:58:57 am »
Yeah.  The worst things I've heard about the new one are that it's 'nothing like the other movies' when in fact it's not intended to be.  Honestly, the Batman comic book canon was never quite adhered to in those on the most sketchy level, so I don't see how that's going to be an issue with this one...trying to piece together a 'timeline' or 'what really happened with Character Z' with DC comics is nearly impossible to begin with.  I think that might be why it was easier to make a Superman or Batman movie that worked as opposed to some of the Marvel titles, which have only recently been done well...there's a lot more room to breathe for the writers and the directors doing DC stuff.

In any case, the cast, concept and other such from this one looks good to me.  I read a bit on IMDB that said the director sat the cast down to watch 'Blade Runner' then said 'that's how we're making Batman'.

That sounds like how it ought to be done.  At least we won't be getting another neon-lit Schumacher nightmare.

Very good points Bro, also If you look at how many times DC comics have combined alternate Earths etc. It can get confusing. Crises on Infinite earths comes to mind. Then again It had It's moments like when they killed off the Flash and super-Girl.

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 12:25:44 pm »

:o :o :o

Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies.  It was also a flop.  (Then 10 years later the re-release a director's cut to the theaters, and it flopped too.)

Maybe I better plan to see this Batman movie on opening weekend?

At least we won't be getting another neon-lit Schumacher nightmare.

Amen to that!

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 12:34:47 pm »

:o :o :o

Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies.  It was also a flop.  (Then 10 years later the re-release a director's cut to the theaters, and it flopped too.)

Maybe I better plan to see this Batman movie on opening weekend?

At least we won't be getting another neon-lit Schumacher nightmare.

Amen to that!

-S'Cipio

Borther Skippy, there where also three Follow up Books to Blade Runner that where Pretty good also. I'll have to look for them, But If I find them I'll send them your way.

Stephen

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 01:14:15 pm »

Borther Skippy, there where also three Follow up Books to Blade Runner that where Pretty good also. I'll have to look for them, But If I find them I'll send them your way.

Stephen

Were there really?  I had no idea!  Thanks Stephen!

I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep years ago, after seeing Blade Runner, but had no idea there were sequels.  It was a good book, I thought, though as different from the movie in many ways as were the two titles.

If you find the sequels, I'd love to see them!

-S'Cipio 
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 01:26:57 pm »
You bet Bro. I'm still unpacking Books, and will probably buy a few more Book cases this week, But I'll try to find them as fast as I can and send them your way.

They basicly deal with ford's character possibly being a Replicant himself. They where a great read though, as He so much want's to save the love of his life.

Stephen

Offline Tirus

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Got Cloak?
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 09:33:06 pm »
I've always been a huge Batman fan. No supernatural powers...just good old brains, brawn, gadgets and a ton of cash. When I was a kid I used to visit my Grandfather's house and look through his comics from the 1940's. I now have them and they are almost all in perfect condition. Not bad for a 10 cent initial investment.

(I have this one only mine's in perfect condition Batman #44, 1948)

Blade Runner is one of my top ten favorite movies so if that is the template they are using for this Batman movie I'll be pleased. I always felt Burton's vision of Batman was closer to the mark but as with almost all of Burton's movies there is something just not perfect enough to make it a classic. Then there are Burton's abysmal failures like the remake of Planet of the Apes. The people who picked Schumacher to direct should forever hang their heads in shame. What a debacle he turned out to be as director for Batman.

I'm looking forward to the new movie. Christopher Nolan may be perfect for the role. Perhaps this time they will get it right.

Here's a great site if you are interested in the Golden Age of Batman, Detective & World's Finest comics:
http://www.goldenagebatman.com

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 10:41:48 am »
As an aside Tirus, On this day June 2, 1938: The first argument breaks out as to whether Superman could take Flash Gordon. See yesterday marked Action Comics #1 release, the first comic book featuring Superman created by Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel.

Stephen

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 03:14:17 pm »
You bet Bro. I'm still unpacking Books, and will probably buy a few more Book cases this week, But I'll try to find them as fast as I can and send them your way.

They basicly deal with ford's character possibly being a Replicant himself. They where a great read though, as He so much want's to save the love of his life.

Stephen

Actually, can you post the titles of them here if you find them?
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 03:20:36 pm »
You bet Brother Dash, I'd be more then happy to.

Stephen

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Lord High Master of Justice
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 03:25:56 pm »

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 03:27:32 pm »
http://www.philipkdick.com/

and there you go Gentlemen, Ben was thinking the same thing I was.

Damn, I must be Pissic or something.  ;) what, isn't that how Psychic is pronounced?  ;D

Stephen

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 03:29:28 pm »
I think we've both imbibed the same amount of liquid intelligence today.

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 03:37:11 pm »
I think we've both imbibed the same amount of liquid intelligence today.

I'll have you Know good sir, My liquid is Liquid Bravery/ Courage. There is no Intelligence about It. Uhm hang on, what I just type?

;) ;) ;) ;)

Stephen

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 03:37:57 pm »
MGDing it today.  Wheeee.....

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2005, 03:42:06 pm »
Man that scares me, as I'm like the only Okie in these parts who likes MGD.

Stephen

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2005, 03:51:18 pm »
Wife drinks Bud Ice, I only drink MGD.  So, we buy his and her beer. Besides, after watching a show on TV the other night and discovering what Noodling is, I can understand the shortage of Okies with taste.  Don't ya'll have fishing poles?;D