Taldrenites > Dynaverse 3 Experiences

Dynaverse/Multiplayer Connection Suggestions

(1/6) > >>

SPMaverick:
Updated 12/02/2009 - Mav
Here's a post I made over on AltB awhile back. I hope it will help.

Since there has been so much confusion about how to get the Dynaverse/Multiplayer connection working, I decided to start this thread and consolidate the info I've found from various sources. It took me a while to figure out and/or find all this info when I was trying to get connected. I'd be interested in hearing other peoples suggestions. I'm always looking for new tricks. As always, your judgment is best when making changes to your system.

My setup:
Windows XP Pro SP3 with all patches
Norton Internet Security 2009. Firewall is enabled.
Linksys router with its hardware firewall enabled.

You can play multi-player behind your router with it's firewall enabled (without putting your PC in the DMZ) and with a software firewall enabled. I do everyday. I don't put my PC in the DMZ since that bypasses the hardware firewall built into most routers and greatly reduces your security. Not that I'm paranoid. ;D

Here's what you need to do: (5 steps to happiness ) :)

1) Install the game and all required patches for the Mod you want to play.

2) Install the Access Server Patch by Dynaverse.net.
    http://starfleetcommand3.filefront.com/file/SFC3_Access_Server_Patch;85299

3) Make sure you've opened the ports listed in the network readme.

I use Port Forwarding, however you might be able to use Port Triggering (but I haven't tried it myself). There is an "Applications and Gaming" tab on my router's setup where I setup my Port Forwarding as specified below.

Application        Port        Protocol        IP Address
SFC3               6073          UDP           192.168.1.x
SFC3          2302-2303      TCP           192.168.1.x

Application = Text for your memory ;D
Port = port or range of ports to open
Protocol which protocol(s) to allow
IP Address is usually 192.168.1.x where x is the final octet of the IP address of your PC.

4) Depending on your software firewall (if you have one), set it to allow SFC3 and Microsoft DirectPlay8 to have network access, if it doesn't do so automatically (mine does).

Here's the obscure part...

5) Either disable Universal Plug and Play on your router (on the Administration tab) or in Windows services. Either way works. FYI, if you do it in Windows services, make sure it is DISABLED, not just STOPPED. Also, if you disable the Windows service it may affect the operation of some of your other software.

Until I did the fifth step above, the DirectPlay Test would always fail.

Additional Suggestions - 2 More Steps - Trust me :)

1) Right click on the desktop icon and choose Properties. Select the Compatibility tab then check the box to "Disable visual themes" and click OK.

2) You can place the following line in your SFC.ini file at the end under the META section. If you're using Network Address Translation (most people behind routers are) then it will greatly speed up the DirectPlay Test as it will check your external IP address first.

The following will keep you from having to update your IP address in the ini file, since most people's addresses are dynamically assigned by the ISP and can change anytime.

BehindNAT=1

It has been brought to my attention that BehindNAT doesn't work for everyone. In this case, replace it with the following, where xxx is your external IP address.

IP_ADDRESS=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

IMPORTANT: If you use the IP_ADDRESS entry, you will have to update it when your ISP changes your IP address.

Note: You can usually only play on one PC behind a router at a time due to NAT translation.

Some routers may also have more sophisticated built-in firewalls than mine. Yours might require that you grant Starfleet Command 3 and Microsoft DirectPlay8 access like a software firewall.

Hope this helps.

KBF MalaK:
someone's gotta stick this !!!

great info

KBF-Crim:
Done.

GFL Offkey:
There is a typo in your post. 2033-2303 should read 2303-2303

SPMaverick:

--- Quote from: GFL Offkey on December 04, 2005, 08:11:13 am ---There is a typo in your post. 2033-2303 should read 2303-2303

--- End quote ---

Really? I got that range from the network readme file distributed with the game. It is under the section titled Linksys BEFSR41 v.1 since that was what I had at the time. Here's the excerpt:

5.   On the next available line under Server Port Range enter 2033 ~ 2303, under Protocol select TCP, and under IP Address enter the IP address of the computer on which you will be playing SFC3.

So, I guess my question is: Are you able to play opening only port 2303 instead of the range? I just assumed the readme was correct, especially since it worked for me. Please let me know so I can update my post on other forums as well.

Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version