Topic: Microsoft offering Windows source code  (Read 10542 times)

Offline prometheus

• Hot and Spicy
  • Commander
Re: Microsoft offering Windows source code
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2006, 06:53:43 pm »
I understand what you're saying, but that's an entirely different matter altogether.  You can't fight Microsoft on a moral basis because too many people sell their morals everyday.  I agree that many of Microsoft's actions are evil, but the only ones we have the ability to combat are the illegal ones.  You will be very hard-pressed to find a company that hasn't committed something that could easily be labeled an evil act, whether or not it was legal.

You can say "Microsoft is evil" and give every reason for it all day long, but it won't do anything.  Microsoft is so big and powerful now that the only way to get it's attention is through legal means.  I agree with you about Microsoft's complete lack of ethics, but unless their doing something against the law, the only way to do anything is to change the law, and not only is that difficult, it could have ramifications beyond what you indended to accomplish, and could possibly backfire.  The best solution is to use the law as it presently is since Microsoft has breached it on countless occasions and will no doubt continue to do so until the US and the EU finally decide that they've had enough.

There is another way...  If serious computer users and businesses refused to buy into their draconian lisencing activites...  I'm with you, the only reason I'm not using Linux is because all the best sound recording stuff is written for Windows or MACS...  Also, trying to get Linux to speak to a lot of non standard hardware can be a nightmare...  The time will come, and from what I've seen of recent Linux releases it could be coming very soon, where Linux will be as simple to install and easy to use as windows...  if computer retail outlets started to ship Linux instead of Windows, and Businesses started to switch to Linux (as many in Europe are doing) Microsoft would be forced to toe the line...

but it's never going to happen if people take the attitude that provided Western Law isn't violated, no harm, no foul...

To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the Universe!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2006, 07:49:52 pm »
Once upon a time each year was pronounced by the media to be the year of the network.  It never was.  One day however people forgot the whole concept because the network had crept up on us a little at a time, no sudden predicted surge.  One day the network was ubiquitous.  No year just day by day gaining ground.

Linux has had the year of Linux pronounced over and over.  It hasn't happened and I don't think it will.  I think it is going to just continue to creep up a little more common each day until it just is everywhere, just like the network. 

The only way it could be stopped is through legal manipulation (software patents).  It has been somewhat slowed by the FUD spread by The SCO Group with their lawsuits (partially funded by MS or course) and campaigns like Microsofts "get the facts" campaign but it keeps coming. 

It is better to debunk the FUD and present unequivocal truths backed with facts than to rant against Microsoft.  Let Microsoft be the one convicted of false advertising.  Let Microsoft be convicted of telling lies about competitors.  Better to be the side with demonstrated integrity and let Microsoft have the low ground.  Step by step Microsoft is digging its own grave.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2006, 08:13:15 pm »

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2006, 08:20:19 pm »
He knows too much.  Must put a contract on Punisher.  Hey Pun what is your price to kill yourself?
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2006, 08:39:09 pm »
10 grand.

That's why I keep the clones around.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2006, 09:37:13 pm »

This means I'll have to step up my timetable for getting Texas to secede from the M$ Empire.  Don't worry, it can be done.  It's in our state constitution  ;D

edit:
PHASE 1:  Get Texans to use Linux
This ought to do the trick.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 10:45:26 pm by Mr_Tricorder »

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2006, 11:35:17 pm »
Here's something that I forgot was on my computer until recently that I think goes well with this thread.

Offline MrCue

• Site Designer
  • Lt.
  • Proud Father
    • Battleclinic
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2006, 12:27:00 am »

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2006, 10:22:07 am »
Hahahahaha! MS sticks it to Norton:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/30/vista_security_allchin/

I love it. Beautiful move.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/10/eu_probes_ms_security_plans/

I'd bet a million dollars (if I had it) that if Microsoft was based in the EU this crap would not be happening at all. I see it as creative international business tax.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2006, 04:09:45 pm »
Microsoft is planning a new version of Windows to take the best features of its best prior versions

Link