Topic: PBEM set up thanks to Raven!  (Read 54727 times)

Offline GE-Raven

• Lord God Emperor for Life of the Taldren SETI Group
  • D.Net VIP
  • Commander
  • The cause of AND solution to life's problems
    • Raven's Nest
Re: PBEM set up thanks to Raven!
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2006, 10:50:58 am »
What's the hold-up?

I hate to sound impatient, but it's been two days since we got this started and I haven't even taken my first turn yet.  I've been checking my email like crazy.  Did someone kill me off in the first turn without telling me about it?

I believe Ferret is quite a bit of time-zone away from us.  Last I knew of Stephen sent to him.

BTW once you send please post the next players leaders Identity... so we can easily know who is who.

GE-Raven

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2006, 11:40:13 am »
That begs the question, should there be a time limit before your turn is played by the computer or something?
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline GE-Raven

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2006, 12:37:47 pm »
That begs the question, should there be a time limit before your turn is played by the computer or something?

Not sure how that is done.  I think once you "automate" a player it is a one way trip.  Early on it wouldn't be a big deal and I could just have the player "re-email" the file to me, I would judiciously "plunk" the first city down at the begining site and start building a warrior (Or scout for those civs) as suggested by the AI.

I am fine with 3 days.. hard part is it is hard to judge who has the file.

GE-Raven

762_XC

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2006, 12:43:26 pm »
Ferret is in the USN. I'm not sure if he's on ship right now or on leave. If he's on deployment he might be a while.

I think we do need some kind of limit, or this thing will die pretty quick.

Offline GE-Raven

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2006, 12:53:45 pm »
Well let's say if Lt. Q doesn't have the file by Noon Central time tomorrow I will have Sirgod send it on to me.

Everyone ok with that?

GE-Raven

762_XC

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2006, 12:54:33 pm »
Sure.

I think as the game develops and alliances start being made, we will probably each want to designate an alternate for us to take our move if one of us will be afk for any length of time.

If ferret declares war on Raven later, he probably won't want him taking his move any more. <snicker>

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2006, 02:27:43 pm »
Well let's say if Lt. Q doesn't have the file by Noon Central time tomorrow I will have Sirgod send it on to me.

Everyone ok with that?

GE-Raven

I'm ok with that.  IMHO if he knew that he might not be able to play for several days, he shouldn't have signed up for the game (I don't know if that's the case, but if it is that's my opinion).

Sure.

I think as the game develops and alliances start being made, we will probably each want to designate an alternate for us to take our move if one of us will be afk for any length of time.

If ferret declares war on Raven later, he probably won't want him taking his move any more. <snicker>

Personally, I would be hesitant to let any other player, even an ally, play for me in my stead.  Hopefully I won't have to since I don't plan on being in that situation as I don't plan on being away from my computer for days at a time.  I may let my roommate play for me if I have to be absent for a couple of days, although he and I have greatly different strategies and preferences when it comes to just about any Civ game.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 02:32:44 pm »
Sounds good to me...honestly, the logistics behind this kind of game are a bit mind-boggling.  Even if we can get two turns a day done, which I doubt, the game will take almost a year to complete (If it goes into the Modern Era).  I wonder how many of us are going to be able to keep up that kind of commitment.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2006, 02:36:21 pm »
Sounds good to me...honestly, the logistics behind this kind of game are a bit mind-boggling.  Even if we can get two turns a day done, which I doubt, the game will take almost a year to complete (If it goes into the Modern Era).  I wonder how many of us are going to be able to keep up that kind of commitment.
Maybe we should try a "Quick" game instead.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2006, 03:26:48 pm »
I'll give Ferrit a call later on tonight. I know he's only 6 hours or so differance.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2006, 06:11:38 pm »
Maybe we should appoint an extra player to act as a referee and play any missed turns.. for all players.  That way he'd have no interest in cheating.   Maybe set limits like:  Can't declare war on another player, etc.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2006, 07:06:30 pm »
That's a good Idea Dracho.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Ferretlxix_XC

• Methane Breathing Weasel Capt. & Halo/RvB fanatic
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
  • Hydran Capt Xeno Corp, XC clan overlord Halo 2
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2006, 10:01:51 pm »
Genga-Ferret just sent to Napolea-Q
Sorry about the delay, been really busy.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2006, 10:15:18 pm »
I'm ready to send this on...but I have what could be a very...uh...stupid Question...how do I find out what email address I'm supposed to send this to?
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2006, 10:51:56 pm »
I'm sending it off to 762 aka Hyuana Capac, via his address listed on the board.  If he has another place it was supposed to go, I apologize, but I wasn't about to go to bed without shipping it off to him.

Napoleon Q. Bonaparte  ;D

Offline Ferretlxix_XC

• XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2006, 11:26:40 pm »
don't forget to tuck that hand in when you sign off. ;D

Offline GE-Raven

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2006, 07:52:59 am »
I'm ready to send this on...but I have what could be a very...uh...stupid Question...how do I find out what email address I'm supposed to send this to?
You should have received an 3-mail from me with 762's e-mail.

YOU ALL should have the e-mails you need now.  Please let me know if this isn't correct.

GE-Raven

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2006, 08:59:14 am »
I have not received such an email.  And, shouldn't we have the email of all the players involved so we can have a diplomacy part to the game?  :)

Offline GE-Raven

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2006, 11:33:48 am »
I have not received such an email.  And, shouldn't we have the email of all the players involved so we can have a diplomacy part to the game?  :)
That would be up to the individuals wishes, you can pm them and ask, however I will not be publishing anyone's e-mail with out expressed written permission.

I will re send your e-mail

Offline Ferretlxix_XC

• XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2006, 12:25:25 pm »
That would be up to the individuals wishes, you can pm them and ask, however I will not be publishing anyone's e-mail with out expressed written permission.

I will re send your e-mail

My e-mail is fair game for everyone if they want to do this.