Topic: 'Migrate to the Penguin' $300 million ad campaign.  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
'Migrate to the Penguin' $300 million ad campaign.
« on: March 31, 2006, 10:13:23 pm »
Link to first article

ARMONK, NY -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 03/30/06 -- With IBM's Linux-based email and other collaboration software growing at more than 200% year-to-year, the company today announced a new initiative to help customers move from Microsoft Exchange to IBM Lotus Notes and Domino on Linux quickly and easily.

The new 'Migrate to the Penguin' initiative is an expansion of IBM's Move2Lotus program, which now includes more than 100 IBM Business Partners helping customers migrate to Lotus Notes and Domino and developing migration tools to help customers make the transition.

Link to 2nd article

"People are confused, and that's why we are going into that campaign," Harreld, who also took control of marketing in January, said in an interview at IBM's Armonk, N.Y., headquarters. "We're really trying to get at this problem."

The ads, debuting in April, break with IBM tradition by including a theme song, "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" by 1960s British rock group The Kinks, and by painting the logo across a Manhattan helipad.

IBM Linux related revenue 2005 = $16,000,000,000.  I think that IBM is willing to fight for $16 billion (projected to grow to $50 billion)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 02:12:05 pm by IKV Nemesis »
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: 'Migrate to the Penguin' $300 million ad campaing.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 06:39:30 am »
This is a good sign for Linux, hopefully the "new initiative" will a more unified and easier to install distro.