Topic: Wireless Internet Connection Problems  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Deflector

• Ensign
Wireless Internet Connection Problems
« on: July 26, 2006, 12:36:11 pm »
I have a cable modem, no router, desktop computer (not portable).  Everything about my computer and internet connection is normal, except for one thing.  I live in a high-rise, where cable internet is not available, but the cable company has provided me with an antenna up on the roof, and a cable modem, and I get my internet signal that way.

Someone in the community told me that you cannot connect to the dynaverse 3 with this kind of connection.  were they right?  Also, I do not have a public IP.  Could that be the problem?

Thanks

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: Wireless Internet Connection Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 10:03:51 pm »
I have a cable modem, no router, desktop computer (not portable).  Everything about my computer and internet connection is normal, except for one thing.  I live in a high-rise, where cable internet is not available, but the cable company has provided me with an antenna up on the roof, and a cable modem, and I get my internet signal that way.

Someone in the community told me that you cannot connect to the dynaverse 3 with this kind of connection.  were they right?  Also, I do not have a public IP.  Could that be the problem?

Thanks

Correct, if you are on a private IP address you will have to get your ISP to either forward the SFC3 ports (2302,2303,6073 UDP) to your LAN IP  or provide you with a public IP address. We had another player in a similar situation and their ISP was able to forward the ports to them. Though beware of drops from mission on a wireless connection as UDP is a stateless protocol (used for gaming becasue of its low overhead).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240429  (DirectX 7 ports are for EAW and OP and DirectX 8 ports are for SFC3)