Topic: Theories on Evolution Could be Quite Wrong  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Theories on Evolution Could be Quite Wrong
« on: August 16, 2006, 10:09:55 am »
Er.. Evolution of star and galaxy formation

Astronomers puzzle over heavy hydrogen
Satellite’s findings run counter to theories on star and galaxy formation

WASHINGTON - A heavy form of hydrogen created just moments after the Big Bang has been found in larger quantities than expected in the Milky Way, a finding that could radically alter theories about star and galaxy formation, researchers said Monday.

This form of hydrogen, called deuterium, has apparently been hiding out in interstellar dust grains, changing from an easily detectable gaseous form to a harder-to-see solid form, the French and U.S. team of astrophysicists said.

Writing in the Aug. 20 issue of the Astrophysical Journal, the researchers said they used NASA's Far Ultraviolet Spectroscopic Explorer, or FUSE, to ferret out the hidden hydrogen.

Deuterium — a form of hydrogen with not only a proton but also a neutron in its nucleus — produces a telltale spectral fingerprint in the ultraviolet light range, which the FUSE satellite can see.

Jeffrey Linsky of the University of Colorado, who led the study, said scientists had assumed that at least a third of the primordial deuterium present in the Milky Way was destroyed over time as it cycled through the stars.

But FUSE found that deuterium exists in amounts less than 15 percent below what was there originally. And it is not distributed evenly.

"Where there are high concentrations of interstellar dust in the galaxy, we see lower concentrations of deuterium gas with FUSE," Linsky said in a statement. "And where there is less interstellar dust, we are measuring higher levels of deuterium gas."

So something in the theory is wrong, Linsky said.

"This implies that either significantly less material has been converted to helium and heavier elements in stars or that much more primordial gas has rained down onto the galaxy over its lifetime than had been thought," he said.

"In either case, our models of the chemical evolution of the Milky Way will have to be revised significantly to explain this important new result."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14353521
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
Re: Theories on Evolution Could be Quite Wrong
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 01:30:31 pm »
Tease...

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 05:39:35 am »
So, scientists have proven that the Enterprise could replenish it's deuterium tanks by just flying around and scooping it up, right? That was the real purpose behind the study, and you know it. :D

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 01:01:59 pm »
That does make sense when you think about it. I mean astronomy is probably where you'll find the biggest collection of Star Trek nerds...that and comic con's.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline RazalYllib

• Imperial Romulan Information Service-senior advisor
  • Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 05:42:51 pm »
Now where did I put my plans for the intersteller Ramjet?
Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 07:45:49 pm »
Now where did I put my plans for the intersteller Ramjet?

In your other pants?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 08:05:42 pm »
Solid deuterium?  Theoretically a superb rocket fuel (5x the thrust of Liquid hydrogen) and a metallic superconductor at room temperatures.  Quite valuable stuff if it were to be found near enough to "mine".
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 10:15:16 pm »
Solid deuterium?  Theoretically a superb rocket fuel (5x the thrust of Liquid hydrogen) and a metallic superconductor at room temperatures.  Quite valuable stuff if it were to be found near enough to "mine".

Remember, it's only 'solid' because it's frozen at cryogenic temps.

You'd have to mine, refine, and on-load it from a space-based or you'd loose more than you'd gain.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 12:39:35 am »
Wonder if that's what caused the Big Bang?  Some fool species finding deuterium, and then someone lights a match and BAM.. the whole universe blows up.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 02:12:36 pm »
Deuterium is heavy water. It's not flameable as far as I'm aware.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 09:23:16 pm »
Deuterium is heavy water. It's not flameable as far as I'm aware.

Deuterium is an isotope of hydrogen.  Hydrogen is 1 proton and 1 electron.  Deuterium adds a neutron.  Chemically it reacts as hydrogen with oxygen to form water.  Heavy water is just water with one deuterium isotope replacing a hydrogen atom.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 09:25:45 pm »

Remember, it's only 'solid' because it's frozen at cryogenic temps.

You'd have to mine, refine, and on-load it from a space-based or you'd loose more than you'd gain.

Cryongenic temperatures alone are not enough to solidify hydrogen (and by extension the deuterium isotope of hydrogen).  It also takes pressure.  Once formed metallic hydrogen (and therefore deuterium) is supposed to be stable at room temperatures and normal pressure.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 09:50:50 am »
Link to full article

The basic idea is that the chemical bond between carbon atoms and deuterium atoms in the interstellar medium is slightly stronger, due to that extra neutron, than the chemical bond between carbon and hydrogen atoms. Over time then, deuterium atoms replace hydrogen atoms in dust grains made primarily of carbon. This process occurs when dust grains are very cold and undisturbed, which is typical in the interstellar medium.

So its not solid deuterium. It is deuterium preferentially used in a chemical reaction that results in a molecule that then solidifies.

Ravok

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 12:23:41 pm »
Wonder if that's what caused the Big Bang?  Some fool species finding deuterium, and then someone lights a match and BAM.. the whole universe blows up.

Hey I told you it was not my fault. I was drunk at the time.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 02:55:10 pm »

Hey I told you it was not my fault. I was drunk at the time.

I am torn between this and Khalee's theory that the Big Bang is the by-product of a particularly virulent Tex-Mex combo platter.

Offline The Bar-Abbas Anomaly

• Alpha Dog
  • Commander
  • I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid...
    • Alpha Dog Technical Services LLC
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 03:26:20 pm »

But then, where did that deuterium come from?  Or that fool species?  Or the match...?  Or...  Or...   :-[

Alpha Dog is in the HOUSE!!!  (But he needs to go out...)