Taldrenites > Starfleet Command Fan Fiction

Lunatic Fringe

(1/12) > >>

Commander La'ra:
Took a while to get this one posted, for I needed to edit it for content  If anyone here remembers 'The Grim Necessities' (a story of mine, not Grim Reaper's shopping list ;D), the protagonist here was a nuisance-style supporting character in that one.

Oddly, she turned out to be one of my more compelling creations and this tale is a result.  It has little physical action, and it's largely a character development/internal type story, which is a first for me, I think.

Note that Andy has promised to post the uneditted version (largely the same save for the opening scene, which is much more risque) on his website eventually.  Once he does that, I'd love some input on which opening is better.  Also, for those who'd like a refresher, the story Almondine originally appeared in is here.

--------

Lunatic Fringe

Three days of decadence hadn’t put an end to my malaise. 

At first I’d blamed the environment. There are few places more dreadfully prudish than a Federation-flagged ‘pleasure’ liner. Still, I’d managed to find willing partners.  One was even a Marlovian, renowned throughout the galaxy for both energetic wrestling and fierce copulation.  I’d saved her for the third night and can now attest that their reputations are quite accurate.  It wasn’t enough.

“Argent.” I said. “I’m bored.”

My dearest love, my own brother, turned from admiring his own body in the mirror and gave me quite a look.

“After her?” He said, indicating the Marlovian, who’d worked herself to exhaustion and now lay sprawled across the width of the bed.

I glanced at my sleeping playmate and sighed.

“Yes.”  I said.  Absently, I stretched out my arm and stroked the Marlovian’s blue skin.

Argent gave me his concerned face.  He sat down on the bed.  He didn’t say anything.  I looked at his sleek form, which had always excited me before.

“I can’t feel anything.”  I said to brother dear.

“You’ve had a stressful time, my ‘Dina.” He comforted, using his pet name for me.  I knew the next strategy he would employ.  Quite honestly I had faked many a bout of depression for the way he would treat me when I was in ill humor.  “I did record the performance.”

Even in my sorry state, I felt a twinge of excitement.  There are things you miss when participating in a good romp, thus my fondness for holos and videos and such.  My eagerness should’ve been a flood.

It was more like a trickle.  I frowned.

“Thank you.” I said.  “But not right now.” 

I merely wanted to save the holo for when I could properly enjoy it.  Watching myself being dominated by the Marlovian would be a priceless treat.  I don’t think Argent understood my motive, for he frowned.

“It’s him again, isn’t it?”  Argent asked.  I looked at him earnestly.

He was, of course, referring to my most terrible failure.  Seven feet of Klingon that I knew wanted me, yet would not feast.

I had had failures before him.  As alluring as I am, there are all manner of tastes, and there are also beings too prudish to appreciate what I offer them.  But there had been the illusion that if I had truly applied myself, no one could say no.  I had truly applied myself with Commander La’ra.  He had held my brother’s life in his hands, and I’d known that I could barter my body for Argent’s safety.  The thought had naturally aroused me.  But he’d refused me.

At first I had been livid that he couldn’t fathom what I would give him.  I’d also been terrified for Argent; I had believed that the Klingon would be the death of him...and me.  We’d survived, which amazed us.  The man the Klingon had saved us from had been a Mirak and not a creature I’d thought could be overcome. 

Argent had come to fear the Klingon as he’d feared the Mirak before.  One had simply replaced the other.  I had different feelings. 

“It hasn’t been him, my love.”  I answered honestly.  That made my brother frown.  He could understand that I might be lamenting my failure.

He was partially correct. I wanted Commander La’ra quite badly, but Argent’s jealousy, while delectable, was misplaced.  I wanted many people I hadn’t yet had.

I doubted that he could understand what I was truly feeling even if I could’ve conveyed my emotions with words.  I’d been quite determined to save Argent when I’d approached the Klingon.  My determination had awoken something within me but the phantom inside had vanished soon after.  I wanted it back.

I smiled at my brother.

“I need fresh air. I’ll feel less ghastly when we get to a world I can stroll around in.” I said, and knew I was lying.  I do not like lying to Argent but not doing so would worry him.

He stroked my hair.  I was still stroking the Marlovian, who was showing signs of life.  I pulled my hand away and rose from the bed.

“Enjoy her, darling.”  I told Argent.  “I need to take a walk.”

His eyes lit.  By the time I was dressed he was being used terribly.  I was happy for him, yet I did not feel like watching.

Governor Ronjar:
Them...

You know how I feel about them...

Though this one struck me better than the first tale. They just annoyed me the first time.

I liked this.

--thu guv!

CaptJosh:
Personally, I'm merely confused by it. Good writing, but what the devil is actually going on, ya know? It is intriguing, though. It's not a "I don't get this I'm not reading it any further." It's more, "ok, what the hell. Where's the rest of this so I can figure it out?"

BTW, once I get a copy of Star Trek: The Motionless Picture, I'll have a new chapter of When the Going Gets Tough... up. (I can't believe I'm getting this movie. But I need the power up and departure sequence of the Enterprise to give me the imagery to get the Howard Hughes' departure sequence right.)

Commander La'ra:

--- Quote from: CaptJosh on September 27, 2006, 12:26:16 am ---Personally, I'm merely confused by it. Good writing, but what the devil is actually going on, ya know? It is intriguing, though. It's not a "I don't get this I'm not reading it any further." It's more, "ok, what the hell. Where's the rest of this so I can figure it out?"

--- End quote ---

I think that's a good sign, since that's kinda what 'Dina's going through and I was trying to convey that.

Grim Reaper:
You what is bugging me? That I still don't know what is bugging her!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version