Topic: Problem with refresh rates  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Matti

• Lt. Junior Grade
Problem with refresh rates
« on: October 21, 2006, 03:33:53 am »
It seems that whenever I start game on my old computer, which uses full screen mode, refresh rate drops to 60 herz. If I watch monitor with such low refresh rate, I get headache in less than 10 minutes + my eyes start itching. Hardware & software as follows:

K6-2 400 MHz
Windows 98 Second Edition
Radeon 7000
Catalyst version 06.2
Graphic adapter driver version 8.03.98.5-060124a-030314E
DirectX 9.0b

Games I have played recently:
Jagged Alliance 2
Starfleet Command 2: Orion Pirates
Diablo 2
System Shock CD
MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries
MegaMek & MekWars

Obviously I have no problem with MegaMek and MekWars becouse they work as part of Windows desktop. MW2:MERCS uses some less than usual resolution with 70 or 75 refresh rate. All other games just stick on 60 Hz. I have got used to this stubbornness with DOS games and nowadays I play those mostly with my new PC with DOSBox. But what's wrong with Windows games?

I'm whole week away from my new PC and there is no way I'm going to play on The Forge with only 60 Hz refresh rate. So PLEASE help me!
"Maneuver? Aye! We can wallow like garbage scowl against warp driven starship!" - Scotty

Offline Matti

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Problem with refresh rates
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 06:32:46 am »
I got help on IRC. HZ Tool does trick
http://hem.spray.se/doxx
"Maneuver? Aye! We can wallow like garbage scowl against warp driven starship!" - Scotty

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Problem with refresh rates
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 12:14:43 pm »
Sorry I missed this post, But glad that you it all worked out. Nemesis, might want to add that hz proggy to your Free software list.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War