Topic: New Laptop Time  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Musashi NCC-BR549

• Grand High Mufti ...(NCC Fatwa Advisor)
  • Commodore
  • Well, that settles that!
New Laptop Time
« on: March 07, 2007, 04:28:36 pm »
Bran's growing up and it's gettin' kinda obvious that this house is one computer short.

I've got 2 Dells ....an Inspiron 9300 and a Inspiron 8200  ....  but I've been thinkin' about getting a maxed out version of one of these:

http://www.alienware.com/configurator_pages/aurora_m9700.aspx?syscode=PC-LT-AURORA-M-9700&subcode=SKU-DEFAULT

So, anybody got an Alien?   Got any horror stories?

I'd love to hear 'em.
"America is all about speed.  Hot, nasty, bad a** speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: New Laptop Time
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 04:43:15 pm »
They are way overpriced, but I tell ya what, you won't be happier if you that route.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 07:36:18 pm »
If you have the money you might get an alien...BUT...and it's a mighty big BUT...

I would hold off on buying ANY new laptop or computer unless you design it yourself and install your own OS in the next year.  Right now they have bug central city because all the computers are coming out with Vista...and that will SCREW someone over big time.

ON the otherhand, it does appear you can get an alien without Vista still...a good sign.  Just make sure they give you the authorization codes and a restore disk if you don't already have a copy of XP yourself for that computer.

And since you are splurging on an Alien, I'd say upgrade everything to the max, and give it to yourself, and the older ones give to the kids.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Musashi NCC-BR549

• Grand High Mufti ...(NCC Fatwa Advisor)
  • Commodore
  • Well, that settles that!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 09:14:06 pm »
That's the plan, "-".    :thumbsup:

I'm not in a big hurry.  I doubt if I'll make a move for few weeks.  Thanks for the advice, amigos.   ;D
"America is all about speed.  Hot, nasty, bad a** speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 08:24:10 pm »
I see a lot of savvy college kids with Sonys.  Does that mean anything??

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 05:17:51 pm »
I see a lot more smarter looking college kids with Apples :P
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Elvis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 05:12:58 am »
A couple quick notes:

Since Delll bouight Alienware not too long ago, isn't Alienware just a Dell these days.

I am an AMD guy myself but I feel that I made a mistake when I bought my wife an AMD laptop. Its an HP and it runs hot evidence by periodic shutdowns after its been on awhile, and it is hot to the touch, uncomfortable hot.

With Core2Duos out there I wouldn't even bother with an AMD system especially if I was going top of the line. 

If you want to go boutique these days I've heard good things about these guys http://www.velocitymicro.com/index.php.

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 09:49:37 am »
Believe it or not, you can beat those prices with a Mac running Boot Camp and get similar performance.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.