Topic: The cause of high blood pressure?  (Read 881 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
The cause of high blood pressure?
« on: April 16, 2007, 09:27:58 pm »
Link to full story

Dr. Hidefumi Waki, working in a research group led by Professor Julian Paton, has found a novel role for the protein, JAM-1 (junctional adhesion molecule-1), which is located in the walls of blood vessels in the brain.

JAM-1 traps white blood cells called leukocytes which, once trapped, can cause inflammation and may obstruct blood flow, resulting in poor oxygen supply to the brain. This has led to the idea that high blood pressure -- hypertension -- is an inflammatory vascular disease of the brain.

One in three people in the UK are likely to develop hypertension, and with 600 million people affected world wide, it is of pandemic proportions. The alarming statistic that nearly 60 per cent of patients remain hypertensive, even though they are taking drugs to alleviate the condition, emphasises the urgency of looking for new mechanisms by which the body controls blood pressure, and finding new therapeutic targets to drive fresh drug development.

Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
Re: The cause of high blood pressure?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 10:50:06 pm »
And I thought the answer was marriage.  I know a major contributing factor is the IRS. 
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.