Topic: Bonk?  (Read 4783 times)

Offline Farfarer

• Lt. Junior Grade
Bonk?
« on: January 20, 2008, 11:21:30 am »
I get the Firewalll message ( all firewalls etc. are of course turned off my machine). IPCONFIG shows "Connection specific DNS Suffix" as " soulutionip.com", with normal numbers in IP Address, Sybnet, Default Gateway.

Does this mean I need to call up the IT guys and ask for a private IP and or forward the proper ports ?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: Bonk?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 11:45:21 am »
I get the Firewalll message ( all firewalls etc. are of course turned off my machine). IPCONFIG shows "Connection specific DNS Suffix" as " soulutionip.com", with normal numbers in IP Address, Sybnet, Default Gateway.

Does this mean I need to call up the IT guys and ask for a private IP and or forward the proper ports ?

Open a command prompt, maximise it, type "ipconfig /all" at the command prompt (no quotes), right click the blue bar at the top of the command window, select edit...mark, then select all the output text, then right click the blue bar again and select edit..copy, then paste it into a PM to me and I'll let you know.

Or just take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network and if none of your IP addresses are public then you will need to either get one or forward ports from the router that does.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 12:08:41 pm »
Got your PM. Yup, all you have there is one private IP address. If you are not the network admin then you'll need to get them to forward the directplay ports:

If you are behind a router you will need to forward ports 2300-2400 TCP&UDP and 47624 TCP to login. (allow pings from the WAN) Port forwarding applies to a static LAN IP.

(that's for EAW/OP, the SFC3 ports are posted elsewhere, I ferget right now, 2302,2303,6073 udp I think?)

Or you could get a public IP address, though if this is a work environment, I doubt your IT guys will be willing to do either for you (unless its a small shop or you're the boss...).

Offline Farfarer

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 01:20:48 pm »
Thanks.  Will try!

Offline Farfarer

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 08:27:33 pm »
The powers that be have acted upon the received wisdom from Bonk and I now have connectivity to the dyna.  I suspect the IT guys are gamers as explaining "why" in person seems to have generated the positive result.  ;D