Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
Re: XP SP3 delay
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 09:05:09 pm »
Knowing Microsoft they'll wait till 11:59:59PM tonight to put it up if they havent delayed it, otherwise, looks like were going to be waiting a few more days at least
Just checked the MS forums:
In the last few days, we have uncovered a compatibility issue between Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System (RMS) and both Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1). In order to make sure customers have the best possible experience, we have decided to delay releasing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) to the web.

To help protect customers, we plan to put filtering in place shortly to prevent Windows Update from offering both service packs to systems running Microsoft Dynamics RMS.  Once filtering is in place, we expect to release Windows XP SP3 to the web.

We are also testing a fix, and will make it available once that process is complete.  Once they have installed the fix, Microsoft Dynamics RMS customers should be able to run both service packs.

Until then, we advise Microsoft Dynamics RMS customers to not install either service pack.  Microsoft Dynamics RMS customers running Windows XP SP3 or Windows Vista SP1 should contact Microsoft Customer Support Services for additional information.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3262170&SiteID=17
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 09:15:57 pm by SrCpt_SFHQ_XC »
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 07:49:49 am »
It's ready to download now as an update on my computer. Is it safe or should I hold back until we see how many computers it screws up?
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 08:44:15 am »
It's ready to download now as an update on my computer. Is it safe or should I hold back until we see how many computers it screws up?

Maybe holding back for a bit and seeing how it screws up others systems might be smart.  I'll be one of the first and take the hit, but on my test drive.  :-D
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 09:13:07 am »
XPSP 3 is safe except for those running Microsoft Dynamic Retail Management System.. If you do not have this on your computer.. XPSP 3 is perfectly safe.

For those with MSDRMS on their computer, Microsoft is making a patch for MSDRMS so that XPSP 3 can be applied..

XPSP 3 is final and is not going to change.

This is the IT Full Install version of the service package that you would use to make a slipstream installation disk, or to get a complete update for your currently installed operating system:

English version :

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/svpk/2008/04/windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu_c81472f7eeea2eca421e116cd4c03e2300ebfde4.exe

German Version :

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/svpk/2008/04/windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-deu_f2dcd2211384a78df215c696a7fd1a7949dc794b.exe

Other languages will have to wait for Technet or MSDN to release.

Also as a note, If XPSP 3 is showing up in the Microsoft Update page, then that means Microsoft has already made the MSRDMS patch which will download and install prior to XPSP 3 installation to ensure that the system does not break.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 09:26:40 am by Pestalence_XC »
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 09:14:37 am »
I have been running XPSP 3 for over a week now.. no ill effects and some programs run a bit smoother..

I would also recommend re-installing DirectX full install package (DirectX Redistributable) that was released March 8 2007 (Not the web installer).. the package is 69.5 MB

To install the DirectX, run the exe and extract to an empty folder, then go into that folder and run the DirectX Setup.exe to install. Even though the DirectX does not state to restart your system, it is recommended for the DirectX *.DLL files to take effect.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 03:09:19 pm »
Do you really need to reinstall direct X over again as mine isn't MSDRMS?

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 04:39:15 pm »
No, it is a suggestion.. If you already have the March 2008 DirectX installed, you should be fine.. XPSP 3 does not contain DirectX acording to the whitesheet.. however XPSP 2 did have DirectX 9.0b in it.. and XPSP 3 is an accumulation of the previous service pack plus all updates (minus Framework service packs and IE 7) up to March 27th, 2008. Any updates after March 2008 will have to be added by Wimdows Update..

I suggest to reinstall DirectX March 8, 2008 Redistributable as it will make sure your DirectX is clean (the 69.6 Mb package will reinstall DirextX completely) and the registry entries are correct in the event that the XPSP 3 accidentally alters it.. It is a precaution, not a necessity.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 02:54:56 pm »
I installed it yesterday. I DL'd the redistributable. It was a long install process as it appeared to overwrite everything in the install package. The windows update, I believe, only installs the missing/new components.

When I clicked on the installer (which I had DL'd to my desktop) it unpacked to my "F" (outboard) drive. It must look for the drive with the most space. Any of my drives have 100's of Gigs of free space, as my PC is new. The slowed the install a bit because it's a slower drive. No biggie though.

My only real issue is that 161meg of install files were left on my "F" drive. I've deleted them, but not emptied my recycle bin, just in case they are needed. I'll run for a few days to see if there are any issues. I hope not. as I don't want to have part of my OS on my outboard drive.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 03:31:58 pm »
The files on the outboard drive ws just the file cache that XPSP 3 used to install.. I had the same thing in my Temp files in Documents and Settings.. I had to manually remove them.. no ill effects.. I just wish that they had a better clean up utility that ran at the end of the install to do the manual part for you.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 12:55:01 am »
That's what I figured, Pestalence. I thought that I'd play it safe though and not empty the recycle bin for a bit. I wish they had installed to a temp directory for me. If I hadn't been paying attention to the install I would've had no idea about them. Bad enough how big the windows folder gets after a while. Never mind them throwing extraneous files around other drives. Like you said, "I just wish that they had a better cleanup utility...".

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 09:37:30 pm »
So, any issues with SP3? Should I get it? Not get it yet? No difference?
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 09:48:23 pm »
I haven't had any trouble with it.  However, the other day I did a google search and I noticed that there were a number of articles about people having issues with it.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 10:29:22 pm »
So, any issues with SP3? Should I get it? Not get it yet? No difference?

XPSP 3 is pretty good, I have had no issues with it. I have installed it both with a Slipstream XP disk and by tiself. it works just fine.

It will speed up your system a little bit, almost getting Vista speeds.

I have had no stability issues on any program.

I was irritated that the service package does not clean itself up when using the IT install.. I don't know if the Windows Update version leaves trash on the system or not, but you may want to keep an eye on your temp files.

Other than that. so far so good.. I've had it on my system since April 29, 2008.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 11:48:22 pm »
I've had no problems. Just pay attention to where the installer unpacks to (if you DL the redistributable, which would be my advice) so you can cleanup after it.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 06:27:17 am »
I've been running SP3 for several days now on several hard drives, and I see no difference in performance or stability.  No problems or errors either.

But I'm gonna integrate SP3 into my XP Home and Pro discs either way.  It'll make me feel better in the long run.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 03:29:44 pm »
I am not able to DL and install this whole thing don't know why.

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
  • Sfc3files Dept Site Admin
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 06:23:46 pm »
It's a piece of garbage, that's why... :P

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 02:48:13 am »

Very true.  :-p

Hey Age, have you tried downloading the whole setup file from Microsoft's catalogue site?

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 03:59:21 pm »

Very true. :-p

Hey Age, have you tried downloading the whole setup file from Microsoft's catalogue site?

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

No not from that link only the one Pestalence provided will try that when I get home.