Topic: The M.A.C. gun  (Read 18654 times)

Offline Spartan-039

• Master of the Tau Empire sept, Vor'kan
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Re: The M.A.C. gun
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 02:55:04 pm »
I don't want that Nobel Peace prize, that is something I don't want, I just like to make weaponry.
The Greater Good can not be stopped, it can only be delayed. Submit to it and be free.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 03:07:43 pm »
Come up with a rail gun capable of downing a deer, that's as light as a normal rifle and you'll be onto a winner.

The problem with percussion weapons is that gunsmiths and ballistics scientists reckon that 6,900 Feet per Second is about the maximum velocity attainable, due to the laws of physics. The current most powerful rifle is the Styer Manlicher M2000 anti-attack helicoptor rifle at 6,800 Feet per Second.

A rail gun, however, isn't limited by the laws of physics regarding explosive gas expansion in a gun barrel, so much higher velocities are possible.... which is why the various millitaries show such a great interest.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 03:20:47 pm »
Thanks, I've been thinking about making one, you know, for hunting. But I'm postponening any testing until winter.
The Greater Good can not be stopped, it can only be delayed. Submit to it and be free.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 03:40:20 pm »
Try bunching the "breech" end coils closer together with increasing spacing as you move towards the muzzle end and you should see an improvement.

How are you chronographing the velocities??

One way is to measure the impact on a target. Using a "pendulum" type target at a set distance will allow you to guage various improvents or modifications that you make.

The target is simply a pivoted "spoon" type object with a pencil attached that will mark on a suitably positioned piece of paper to give a recordable reference.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 03:45:52 pm »
I'm waiting for any real testing with real prototype until winter for testing on deer. But I'm going to be making some hand-held versions.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 03:55:56 pm »
This fellow has been at it for a number of years now:

Sam Barros' PowerLabs!

I like his dremel+CD and microwave experiments, creative and entertaining fellow.

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 04:00:46 pm »
I've been thinking of getting some styrofoam and gas to make some natural nalpalm, I've been itching to do this and I'm a huge pyro.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 04:09:28 pm »
Myself, If I were to tinker with weapons research and had the money, I'd be looking at benchtop (ultimately handheld) antiparticle storage. Most of the radioisotopes required would require licensing, but I find a strange attraction to building a storage device that can never be tuned off without devastating effects. A deadman switch of sorts. In a large version it has incredible potential for devastation, energy storage and manipulation. I have some theories on energy storage, gravity, the "missing matter" of the universe, interstellar communication and extraterrestrial intelligence.

The energy corresponding to the mass defect of nuclear reactions pales in comparison to the total conversion of mass to energy in antiparticle annihilation events.

It's probably a good thing I do not have the budget and resources. Though it could also be the key to stepping out of the loop of the "human condition".

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008, 04:16:33 pm »
I prefer weapons, not something that stoes antiparticle that can destroy the world as we know it.

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2008, 04:17:14 pm »
Myself, If I were to tinker with weapons research and had the money, I'd be looking at benchtop (ultimately handheld) antiparticle storage. Most of the radioisotopes required would require licensing, but I find a strange attraction to building a storage device that can never be tuned off without devastating effects. A deadman switch of sorts. In a large version it has incredible potential for devastation, energy storage and manipulation. I have some theories on energy storage, gravity, the "missing matter" of the universe, interstellar communication and extraterrestrial intelligence.

The energy corresponding to the mass defect of nuclear reactions pales in comparison to the total conversion of mass to energy in antiparticle annihilation events.

It's probably a good thing I do not have the budget and resources. Though it could also be the key to stepping out of the loop of the "human condition".

If I gave you a hundred bucks and the resources of an army of evil felines, would you build me such a device??  Purely for a hobby you know.

:angel:
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2008, 04:20:58 pm »
Make it two-hundred and you have a deal. *gives a very evikl smirk*

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2008, 04:36:59 pm »
Make it two-hundred and you have a deal. *gives a very evikl smirk*

*pats Spartan's head and takes the crayon drawing he made*  That's very nice.  Now go on and play and leave the big boy stuff to the grown-ups.

;D
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2008, 04:39:15 pm »
Crayon drawing................  you're starting to really piss me off. I'm capable of doing it.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2008, 04:42:10 pm »
Crayon drawing................  you're starting to really piss me off. I'm capable of doing it.

Whether or not you can is irrelevant to me, to be perfectly honest.  Also whether or not you actually will is also irrelevant to me.

However, as far as this thread goes, I find the concept and technology of the M.A.C. gun very interesting.

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2008, 04:51:01 pm »

You'll just have to understand our very reasonable doubt that you can do it.

I suggest you either present proof of such accomplishment, or just slink off and admit defeat.

Think of it this way: A lot of great things have been accomplished by people who were told by nay-sayers that they just couldn't do it.

Just think of us as your motivation.

Prove us wrong.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2008, 04:55:19 pm »
I intend to. Don't doubt me for a nomal teenager who don't give a flip for anything,  I want to get this done, perhaps even be remembered after I die for it.

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2008, 04:56:29 pm »
Good.

Get to work.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2008, 04:58:44 pm »
I can't today, I'm sick and i can't do much right now, but tomorrow, I'll get cracking.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2008, 05:04:22 pm »
I can't today, I'm sick and i can't do much right now, but tomorrow, I'll get cracking.

Did some mild ailment keep the Manhattan Project from being done?  NO!!!!

Did the sniffles keep the boys at Iwo Jima from doing what needed to be done?  NO!!!

Did being underage prevent tons of young men from joining the military in defense of their country?  NO!!!

Now get to work and prove us wrong!!!!

See, I can do this motivational stuff too!!!

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2008, 05:15:14 pm »
Don't you think I know those things, but the tools I need are outside and I can't walk to far today. I have a hard time moving myself, much less trying to work on that antiparticle storage device.