Topic: I need a ship class  (Read 12214 times)

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
Re: I need a ship class
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 01:55:08 am »
Thanks all.  Your input was very valueable.
this sig was eaten by a grue

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2008, 07:31:52 pm »
Based on Ship of the Line I took a Soyuz to be typically used in the role of Border Patrol Cutter. A police ship more than a line ship. This, however, may simply be a case of that happened to be Captain Morgan Bateson's assignment with the U.S.S. Bozeman.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 01:12:19 pm »
The Soyuz Class is a Fire Support Frigate (FAS), according to several books, hence the Mega Turrets in place of Torpedoes and extended engineering deck to power it all.

For cutters, corvettes, clippers, etc. check out spins offs from the Oberth Class.

Star Fleet wouldn't waste a frigate hull as a cutter, especially a large frigate hull.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 03:58:05 pm »
Neither your information nor mine is Canon, Panzer. Considering what Bateson was supposedly up against, Klingons or Romulans, for example, who knows what the Federation would use for border patrol.
CaptJosh

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 11:19:26 am »
If you calculate some of the weapons power demands against the available power on a hull type, in SFB terms, some hull designs in some diagrams, such as the New Hampshire Class, have serious problems.

I actually modelled a New Hampshire Class for friends to play in LAN games, just to prove the point.... all those Ph4 turrets just suck all the power right up..... and then there's all that maas screwing up the turn mode.

It's a shame that there isn't a package that allows warp profiles to be displayed and even the maximum speed to be shown for a design.... a sort of "Starship Envelope" package, similar to those used by aitrcraft designers.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2008, 11:23:51 am »
The turrets don't soak anything up. It's the phaser capacitor for them. Change your charge rate.
CaptJosh

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 12:06:24 pm »
The Phaser Capacitor still needs power to charge up and a Ph4 Capacitor is a very hungry beast.

I've modelled a New Hampshire Class (8 x Ph4 on a Soyuz Hull) and although it is possible to run at low speed, at the start of the game, and Charge all the 6 x Ph1 and 8 x Ph4 weapons, this isn't always convinent or wise when caught up in the thick of a battle. At in the increased mass and maneuverability penaties that result from this.

The design is just an example where the firepower to power generation balance isn't right and makes for a probematic ship to play in any Star Trek game, especially SFC.

However, it should appeal to tactically niave kids and the like.

Basically the Starfleet equivalent of the 1930's Soviet 5 turreted "Landbattleship" T35 tank which saw all 64 units either destroyed or captured by the Axis invasion of Russia in 1941.... though they did (and still do), look impressive on 1930's Mayday Parade filmstock.

I have a couple of 1:76 Scale models lying around here.

I'm just pointing out that ships (and stations) obviously need a viable role (or roles) as a reason to exist.

These roles can be comercial or millitary, depending on racial modus operandi, as SFB rulebooks point out.

The Klingons, for example, only have two exploration cruisers.... just to seek out new races to pick (and win a fight) with.

There is also the need for diversity in any Navy, as if the enemy finds an Achille's Heel in, say your frigate design, if that is your only frigate design then you have problems.

Frigates and Destroyers make up the bulk of today's naval fleets, yet totting up the vessels available on Blattleclinic, most races seem to have a dearth of cruisers and larger vessels. In fact, I can count the number of Klingon Destroyers available on my fingers.... with a few left over.

As for Klingon Frigates, not counting the tedious numbers of BOP models available, are also pretty paltry in number.

Science vessels, etc. are also in short supply, especially notable for the Federation to carry out its primary goals of exploration.

So, if anyone wants subject matter for a new model project, then come up with a novel (i.e. NOT another pimped BOP hull please :() frigate or destroyer model that looks viable and cool,

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 12:44:10 am »
Ack.  My thread got away.
this sig was eaten by a grue

Offline JHauck

• Ensign
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 05:49:47 pm »
(TMP) Wanderer-Class CoE Support Tender

Offline JHauck

• Ensign
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009, 06:01:44 pm »

Pandora-Class Freighter by Kaden and Suricata from "Star Trek: The Breen War" RPG