Topic: Stargate: Loose ends  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Stargate: Loose ends
« on: November 19, 2008, 09:51:34 pm »
I was recently reading an SG-A novel and it got me thinking about SG-1 and what openings you could use to write a novel or base further series on.  It caused me to think of some of the loose ends that are left hanging at present (ignoring SG-A)

1/ Replicators - how can they be sure that there is not even one Replicator somewhere just waiting to be found?

2/ Goa'uld - Continuum states that all the System Lords are dead, how can they be sure?  Anubis was thought dead and had merely fled.  Osiris, Hathor and Queen Egeria were supposedly dead but were merely in long term prisons.  How many more are out there just waiting to be released?  How many emulated Ba'al and had doubles and hidden hideaways for if things went bad?  So long as there is one Jaffa with a symbiote there are further Goa'uld waiting to take hosts.  All that ignores the home world of the Unas which has lakes full of the symbiont's.

3/ Priors - In Ark of Truth the Priors and others in the Ori galaxy were "deprogrammed" and no longer believe in the Book of Origin.  Why is it just assumed that they will no longer be a threat?  They are still immensely powerful, with vast knowledge and control of fleets of warships that could conquer the Milky Way. 

4/ Aschen - The Aschen seemed rather paranoid to me.  Would they be likely to test the gate addresses on the laptop from their homeworld or from a gate (of their own creation) in deepspace?  If their homeworld survived then they are still a threat and might deduce valid addresses from the dangerous ones on the list or could reach a world with a DHD at any time.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Stargate: Loose ends
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 12:11:33 am »
The addresses on the Aschen laptop were the blackhole, the super-hot world where the DHD froze and couldn't dial out, the water world where the water wasn't really water, and I think a couple other nasty ones.  They might have even included the Goa'uld home worlds.  The Ashen weren't terribly friendly if you'll recall.  If they *did* survive any/all of those encounters, the planet would be damaged to the point they'd have to repair it or leave in a hurry.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 02:00:09 pm »
The first on the list was the black hole. SG-1 managed to handle that while not being able to design let alone build a gate, the Aschen build their own gates and presumably have a better understanding of "failure modes" and could manage to disengage better than SG-1 did.  If they survived the black hole (fairly likely I think) then they would almost certainly have used an "expendable gate" when testing the other addresses. 

I also pointed out that the Aschen are more paranoid (reasonably so as they know how they treat other races and likely assume others will do the same) and might well test using a gate of their own construction in deep space, they do have starships after all, just slow ones.  I think that they would ask themselves "If we had the suspicions that they had of us would we have handed a valid usable list over on the laptop or would the laptop have been a trap?" and assume a trap.

We know from the 2010 episode that they can handle the Goa'uld so linking to them would not be a problem.

The water world wasn't a threat to Earth just to the explorers, presumably the same applies to the Aschen.

The "Hot world" was only a problem for the team on the world, again no threat to the Achen and presumably they could build a cooling system if needed.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 03:50:19 pm »
That last Stargate Atlantis I have saw was when Atlantis was leaving  the  panet  they  were on and  went in to space.What  happened  to it?

Thanks.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 07:29:36 pm »
That last Stargate Atlantis I have saw was when Atlantis was leaving  the  panet  they  were on and  went in to space.What  happened  to it?

Thanks.

That was the end of Season 3. 

The hyperdrive cut off early due to power loss caused by the Asuran energy weapon attack that damaged the central tower leaving Atlantis low on power and drifting in space. 

Dr. Weir was dieing due to injuries suffered in the attack on the tower but they reactivated the Asuran nano machines and they replaced the damaged part of her brain. 

They then took Weir and a hyperdrive equipped (experimental) puddlejumper to the Asuran home world and stole a ZPM.  In the process McKay used the nano agents in Weir to help block the perceptions of the Asurans and help them upload (another) patch to the Asurans OS that restored the Anti-Wraith agression.  Weir was captured by the Asurans.

With the ZPM they went to a world (not known to Weir) with a large ocean and no stargate and established themselves there.