Off Topic > Engineering

Windows (all versions) Tips.

(1/6) > >>

toasty0:
How to change IE Security Zone settings in IE 7

To protect against an IE 7 Zero-Day attack, you can set the security zone settings for Internet and Local Intranet to "high." To do so, follow these steps:
1.   Click Tools and select Internet Options.
2.   Click the Security tab, and click Internet in the zones box at the top.
3.   Move the slider to the "high" position.
4.   Click the Apply button
5.   Click Local Intranet in the zones box at the top.
6.   Move the slider to the "high" position.
7.   Click Apply and OK.

How to Disable Active Scripting in IE 7

Another way to protect your computer from attack through IE is to disable Active Scripting. Here's how:
1.   Click Tools and select Internet Options.
2.   Click the Security tab, and again, click Internet in the zones box.
3.   Click the Custom Level button.
4.   In the dialog box, scroll down to the Scripting section. Under Active Scripting, click the Disable option button.
5.   Click OK.

Note: Edit was only of the subject line to make it match the extended purpose of this thread.

Sirgod:
Hey Jerry, I think it was you, but do you remember an old Registry trick, to remove that small flicker delay, when Opening a new window?

Like when you click on start, program files, there is that slight pause.

stephen

toasty0:
Sorry, that wasn't me.

Nemesis:
I'll leave this one "stickied" for a while and see what additions people make to it.  If it looks like people are actively using and adding to it I'll leave it.  It could be broadened to include other versions of Windows of course.

toasty0:
User Account Control (UAC) can help you prevent unauthorized changes to your computer. It works by prompting you for permission when a task requires administrative rights, such as installing software or changing settings that affect other users.

We don't recommend turning User Account Control off. If you do turn it off, you should turn it back on as soon as possible.

1.  Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain), and then clicking User Accounts.

2.  Click Turn User Account Control on or off.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.  Select the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer check box to turn on UAC, or clear the check box to turn off UAC, and then click OK.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version