Taldrenites > Dynaverse 3 Experiences

Dynaverse 3 behind a router.

(1/1)

Bonk:
This post will evolve, however, I think this alone is sticky worthy:

If you are tying to connect to the Dynaverse 3 from behind a router, you will need to make the following entry in your SFC.ini file:

--- Quote from: Cptn_Pestalence_XC on September 05, 2004, 08:01:45 pm ---for a connection to the dynaverse.. you will need to open the ports on your firewall according to the

C:\Program Files\Activision\Sfc3\Docs\Help\network_readme.rtf

file (default location).

also you may want to go into your

C:\Program Files\Activision\Sfc3\sfc.ini

file (default location) and find the [Meta] section and add

IPAddress=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your external IP address (the one that the internet sees)...

Make sure XP firewall is turned off... make sure that you do not have Windows or MSN messenger starting up with your system or any other unnecessary software (as found in MSCONFIG in the start up tab, read first posting on this)...

as for

Disable Visual Themes

right click on your desktop SFC 3 icon and select properties, click compatibility tab, then check the box next to "Disable Visual Themes" and click OK (XP only).

that's about it.. also as a precaution for Gamespy Arcade and Gamespy Arcade account validation for Dynaverse, go to Gamespy Arcade and look under their firewall configurations for ports (routers and firewalls.. same thing) in their help section... Make sure your firewall has these ports enabled as well.

Hope that this helps.

--- End quote ---

Yes, that does help. Thank you once again Pestalence! :thumbsup:

Added note: if your public IP address is dynamic (which it probably is) you will have to keep an eye on it and update your SFC.ini file as needed.

Actually, read this post:
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163362630.0.html

But disregard the part about BehindNAT=1 and use the IPAddress= line instead. Otherwise, sound advice.

SPMaverick:

--- Quote from: Bonk on November 09, 2009, 05:58:41 pm ---Added note: if your public IP address is dynamic (which it probably is) you will have to keep an eye on it and update your SFC.ini file as needed.

Actually, read this post:
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163362630.0.html

But disregard the part about BehindNAT=1 and use the IPAddress= line instead. Otherwise, sound advice.

--- End quote ---

Hi Bonk,

It's been quite a while since I logged in. I was just wondering why you recommend using the actual IP address since it's a pain to keep updated, as opposed to the BehindNAT=1 which has continued to work for me even after a cross-country/ISP move?

Thanks,
Mav

Bonk:
Because it does not work for everybody, whereas the IP address line seems to always work. (as long as it is the correct IP address)

I have tried the BehindNAT line from a number of ISPs from Atlantic to Central Canada in my travels and it has never worked for me.  :huh:  (also on several PCs, and two routers, both linksys, one the old standby BEFSR41 and also on a newer one with wireless that is disabled - using only the wired connection).

I always disable UPnP on my routers, but the BehindNAT line has never worked for me.

SPMaverick:
Ah, good to know. Specifying the IP address line certainly works, it just has to be kept updated, which is why I had recommended the BehindNAT setting.

Maybe it's the differences of ISPs and/or routers, but the BehindNAT setting has always worked for me. I'm using an old Linksys WRT54G with UPnP disabled.

I'll update my post with a note about this potential problem.

Thanks!

Coolboard:
your public IP address checked by consulting http://checkmyip.com/

you could replace IP address by DNS name if you have an account like no-ip or other, much useful for those they have IP address changing every time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version