Topic: Andrew Koenig missing.  (Read 5122 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Andrew Koenig missing.
« on: February 22, 2010, 08:44:40 am »
Actor, producer, director, writer, editor, photographer....

Andrew Koenig - Walter's 41 year old son - has been missing since February 14th

Andrew Koenig was last seen on Valentine's Day, February 14, 2010, in Vancover, British Columbia. Andrew Koenig never boarded his flight back to the US, on 2/16 and he hasn't heard from since.

Andrew was last seen at a bakery in the Stanley Park area of Vancouver.

If you've seen Andrew since February 14th, PLEASE contact Detective Raymond Payette of the Vancouver PD at 604-717-2534.

Andrew, best know as "Boner" from "Growing Pains", is a funny, caring, gifted and passionate multi-talented young man.

Andrew performs at The Improv and is a camera operator for Never Not Funny, and has had roles in the movies NonSeNse, InAlienable, The Theory of Everything, Batman: Dead End, and on television in "Star Trek:Deep Space Nine",. "G.I. Joe", "My Two Dads", "21 Jump Street", "My Sister Sam", and "Adam-12". He's edited over a dozen films and directed, produced, and written many others.

Andrew has been an activist his entire life and most recently has been working on behalf of the people of Burma, and was arrested during the 2008 Rose Bowl parade for protesting American involvement in China's Olympics.

Andrew was suffering from depression at the time of his disappearance. The last time the Koenigs heard from Andrew was on February 9. His cell phone is turned off and the last time his phone received a text was on February 16 in Vancouver.

The Koenigs plan to fly up to Vancouver in the next few days.

Walter said of the Vancouver police and their efforts to find his son, "They have been kind, sensitive, generous and just extraordinary. Two of their investigators are working tirelessly today on their day off. They have been wonderful and I ask people to call the number from the Vancouver Police department ... if you have any information."

That police department number is 604-717-2534.

In defense of any rumors that might surface in the future, Walter added, "So many times when these kinds of reports about behavior and habits come out, there are insinuations that are untrue. Andrew has no narcotic habit."

While he greatly appreciates your thoughts, prayers, and encouragement... Please DO NOT contact Walter at this time unless it is an emergency.

------------------

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Andrew Koenig missing.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 06:28:04 pm »
Looks like he has passed away.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/25/entertainment/main6244127.shtml

(CBS)   Vancouver police said they discovered a body in an urban park that they believe is the remains of missing American actor Andrew Koenig, USA Today reported Thursday evening.

USA Today reports police said the body was discovered about noon Thursday in Stanley Park, a location police have been searching for days since Koenig was reported missing Feb. 18 after he failed to return to California.

Family members have previously expressed concern that Koenig may harmed himself.

Koenig, a co-star in the '80s sitcom "Growing Pains" and son of Walter Koenig, who played Chekov in the original "Star Trek," was last seen in Vancouver, Canada on Valentine's Day.

Walter Koenig went to Vancouver Tuesday to help look for his son, who left his Venice, Calif. home Feb. 4 after selling off all his possessions.

"He had a garage sale for several weeks, and whatever he didn't sell he put out to give away, and the public took whatever he left because he put a sign up, 'Free," ' says neighbor Arthur Luna.

Andrew struggled in his acting career after "Growing Pains" ended, reports "Early Show" national correspondent Hattie Kauffman, adding that he hoped to follow in his father's footsteps.

Walter observes that Andrew has "been depressed. You know, he's trying to get ahead in this business and he's been working at it a long time."

Kauffman points to online reports that Andrew, 41, has been despondent, turning down recent job offers.

A teary Walter Koenig says Andrew went to Vancouver "to see his friends. He has some very close friends up there, and Vancouver is the place that he really felt most comfortable at."

Steven Holyhead, another neighbor of Andrew's, says there "were times when he was happy-go-lucky and other times when, you know, I felt like I should reach out to him more."

Koenig's sister, Danielle Koenig, told "Early Show" co-anchor Maggie Rodriguez Wednesday the last ten days have been "sort of excruciating" for her family. "Very confusing. Surreal. I don't quite have my head wrapped around it yet. We just miss him so terribly and just desperately want to find him."

Danielle says she last saw her brother Jan. 31. "He was at my house for my birthday. We celebrated early, because he was gonna be gone in Vancouver, and so he came over.'

Did she notice anything particularly amiss?

"It's not that specific day," Danielle responded. "My brother has battled depression for quite a while. So, it's not like one incident. He has been sort of down lately, but he certainly was in an OK mood when I saw him. He was playing with my young son. That always brings a smile to his face."

Asked by Rodriguez whether she fears Andrew "could hurt himself," Danielle replied, "Yes. I do. We're all very concerned that -- obviously, that's the worst case scenario. We're hoping that he just maybe wanted to get lost for a little bit and, if he should somehow see this, I just want him to know that we're all desperately missing him, and we love him so much. I don't know if he knows just how much I love and admire him and respect him and, as you can imagine, this is quite devastating."

"If anyone sees him," Danielle continued, "if you think you see him, go up to him and ask if it's him and report it to the Vancouver police. … You just have to call (them). They're very well aware of it. Everyone has been searching for him."

Actor Alan Thicke, one of Andrew Koenig's co-stars on "Growing Pains," had similar words for Andrew, telling CBS News he'd tell Andrew, " call your dad, your dad wants to hear from you. Your dad wants to know you're OK. If you're hiding out for a bit or want to get elements of your life together, that's OK, but let your dad know you're alright."

Andrew "certainly created a memorable character," Thicke continued, "and I think that his absence these few days has proven how beloved and remembered he has been by friends and family and co-stars, fans."

Thicke considered Andrew part of the "Growing Pains" TV family, says Kauffman.

"My first reaction is, as a parent," Thicke says, "feeling for Walter, just the fact of not knowing where your child is at the moment.

"I'm hoping that he's seeing us, or seeing someone and taking all of that to heart and recognizing how beloved he has been and how badly we all want to hear from him."

----------------------

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline EE

• In a constant state of Misery
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Andrew Koenig Body found
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 07:10:23 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/25/growing.pains.actor.dead/index.html?hpt=T1

(CNN) -- Actor Andrew Koenig, missing since February 14, was found dead in Vancouver, British Colombia, Thursday, a source close to the family told CNN.

The body of the former "Growing Pains" star was found in a park, according to the source, who spoke to Koenig's father after Koenig was informed of the discovery.

The source asked not to be named because of the sensitivity of the matter.

Koenig, 41, was reported missing by his parents after he did not board a flight to Los Angeles from Vancouver last week.

Vancouver police confirmed a body was found in Stanley Park around noon Thursday, but said only that it was "believed to be that of Andrew Koenig."

A police news conference, with his parents expected to attend, was set for 5 p.m. local time (8 p.m. ET) in the park to discuss the case.

Walter Koenig -- himself an actor, known for his role as Pavel Chekov in the "Star Trek" series -- flew to Vancouver with his wife, Judy, on Tuesday to help with the search.

The Koenigs said they received a letter from him last week in which their son wrote in a "despondent tone."

He had stopped taking medication for depression about a year ago, his father said.

Unknown to his parents at the time, Andrew Koenig sold or gave away many of his possessions and moved out of his apartment in Venice, California, before traveling to Canada, the family said.

Koenig fell in love with Vancouver in 1988 when he first visited to film an episode of the TV show "21 Jump Street," his father said.

Koenig appeared in 25 episodes of "Growing Pains" from 1985 to 1989, playing Richard "Boner" Stabone, according to a filmography posted on the Internet Movie Database Web site. He also appeared in episodes of several other television shows.

He is described as "a gifted and passionate multitalented young man" on his father's Web site.

He performed at The Improv and had roles in movies that included "NonSeNse," "InAlienable," "The Theory of Everything" and "Batman: Dead End." He also acted on television in "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine," "G.I. Joe," "My Two Dads," "21 Jump Street," "My Sister Sam" and "Adam-12," the Web site said, and edited, directed, produced and wrote a number of films.

Koenig was an activist interested in many causes, his father's Web site says. He was arrested at the Rose Bowl in 2008 while protesting U.S. involvement in the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in China. He opposed U.S. participation because of China's support for a repressive regime in Myanmar, also known as Burma, the Web site says.
I came, I saw, I came again

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 05:33:18 am »
Oh this is sad, I feel for the family. Depression kills. This motivates me to do something. This shouldn't happen.  :'(

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 09:07:14 am »
I know what you mean Bonk. It seems like such a senseless death. Of course my prayers go out to Walter and his family.

Stephen

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 09:26:23 am »
Valentines day claims yet another victim...

My thoughts and prayers are with Walter and his family.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 04:35:28 am »
Marie Osmond loses 18 year old son.

And of course it is not just famous people that are affected.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/ArtsLife/1170169.html

I wonder what I could do? I've got minimal people skills. I suppose I could donate money or muscle to a worthy project already underway?

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 10:35:29 am »
It's a sad thing Bonk. I read yesterday, where one of the "Axe men's" Kids got mauled to death by there pet dog.

The Axe men is a show out here on one of the discovery channels that shows how Loggers work.

It's a catch .22 also Bonk on the charity. The longer I work with the volunteer Fire Dept. the more I realize just how idiotic people can be. So you always have to guard yourself , and be prepared for that kind of emotion within you. But doing any kind of project like that is worth it in the end I believe.

Stephen