Topic: =/\= the threat of fact free science. moon cave, denmark geninoid  (Read 2589 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
this first article is some of the scariest stuff out there for me. i have a half brother that falls into every conspiracy theory out there it seems and gets really upset when confronted by "real" science. i come from a science background. my father is a ph.D and i know scientific method and everything. this is just frightening. you can just make up what you want. fact free science movement... sigh
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/27/magazine/27FOB-WWLN-t.html?_r=1

so it seems that the moons has at least one cave system that has just been found. indian scientists have found the new cave with Chandrayaan-1. a base has been proposed for the site. i think that is a good idea. use the surroundings and live off the land idea.
http://www.siliconindia.com/shownews/ISRO_finds_cave_in_moon_can_be_used_as_base_station_for_astronauts-nid-79567.html

and here is the latest geminoid (super-realistic) robot out of japan, and it looks like a denmark professor and not a japanese native :) it is also the first bearded geminoid. articles and video here: http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/humanoids/latest-geminoid-is-disturbingly-realistic

finally something fun! you know you secretly watch the late night paid advertising. here is the latest "wild girls" video...
http://starfleetacademystore.com/products/105971-orion-slaves-gone-wild-t-shirt
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Re: =/\= the threat of fact free science. moon cave, denmark geninoid
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 01:43:34 pm »
Meh, the fact free science thing is a hack piece.  They are saying that those who don't agree with them are wrong.  Even tho the same data set can support more then one conclusion (as they mainly centered on global warming).  As the main stand against the end of the world global warming people basically say, sure temperatures change, but man hasn't done it.  Looking at the data the raise in temp for the last 100 years is not out of the norm if you look at the history as far back as we can figure.

It isn't that there is no facts, they don't want to accept you can have multiple possibilities with the same data.  All can be right, but I think the non-man made one is more likely as the changes haven't really gotten out of sync with history.  But history has had times we don't want to go back through as they are not that great weather wise, but as it is the climate of the planet we really can't stop it.  Just adapt like living creatures have done for all history.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 04:05:54 pm »
No life form on earth has ever made as much cement as man, it is continuous, gargantuan, and will not stop. Where will it take us? I cannot afford to care anymore. I have concluded its discussion and debate are moot. We will not stop. I know what I know, but that makes no difference. No difference whatsover. Water of life? Water of death. The irony is beautiful in its perfection. So on with the party. :drinkinsong:

Fact free science goes way deeper than most would imagine. Climate change is the tip of the iceberg (pun intended). I have worked in enough regulatory labs to know. It is disgusting. Comically sad.

I prefer now to stand outside and look in, or rather, look away. I used to be offended, but I am no longer associated, they're on their own. It always boils down to the wife, the kids, the dog, the car, the house and washing machines. Nobody comprehends what it is to really work anymore. It is not about understanding anything. It is about salaries and tax rates. So dry. So boring. Repulsive.

I heard on the radio today about a local native reservation with an 80% unemployment rate. It got me to thinking about the word employment; the concept, its meaning, or lack thereof and the implications of that in a cultural context.

I feel like listening to The Alan Parsons Project.

Moon base in a cave? That sounds cool.  8) I get images of the Genesis Project from Wrath of Khan. Go India! :thumbsup:

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 04:10:53 pm »
In order to have Fact proof science, we need to remove all governmental involvement. 

Politics and research should always be at odds with each other, and they make horrible bed partners.

It is the prime reason I never went for my doctorate .

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 04:18:36 pm »
The motivation for scientific advancement needs to be pure thirst for knowledge. Nothing else. Nothing else.  Odds? Pretty much zero. So, on with the show.

I hereby grant Sirgod an Honorary Doctorate in um... Forumology!  ;D There. Now it's Dr. Sirgod!  ;D

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 04:28:12 pm »
I have an honorary DDS (Doctorate in Druidic studies)  It was research for research sake.  ;D
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 04:38:28 pm »
That is a hoot! It's cool just because it's druidic studies. I'm sure Stoney will approve.  :coolsmiley:

edit: oh wait, the irony of your programming style, in light of this, is not lost on me. ;)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 04:50:35 pm »
LOL Dr. Sirgod, I like that. Sounds menacing like Doc Doom.

Druids are cool also.

But any who, I agree, Bonk. It should be for pure intellectual pursuits. Human nature is too succumbs to easily to bias, or even pay, from outside sources. Science must be upheld to the highest Scrutiny, and any experimentation must be repeatable over and over again.  Anything else is just mental masturbation.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 06:14:55 pm »
i have a doctorate of divinity. shamanism has been my calling in life. but more deeply i feel that spirituality and science can find common ground if done properly. i firmly believe that psychedelics are the key. water of life indeed bonk. :)

BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-