Topic: =/\= going, going, going, gone....  (Read 4725 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
=/\= going, going, going, gone....
« on: July 08, 2011, 05:53:59 pm »
sts-135 finally launched today after many delays and weather issues. the last (really this time ;) i checked) it makes me sad to see the end of an era. obama told nasa that new breakthroughs need to be discovered and a new challenge targeted. i would say that is great and i  agree but how about some funding? how about kill that non-winnable, money draining project know as the war on drugs and shift the wasted funds to space exploration? you know, the continued existence of humans by reaching into space? we do need a new goal. i think manned mission to mars is probably everyone's first thought. i would like to see a lunar station. now is the time to write congressmen and push for more space exploration. now is the time when the memory is fresh and a successful shuttle program is remembered.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/launch/launch_blog.html
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
Re: =/\= going, going, going, gone....
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 06:13:51 pm »
How about giving drug dealers the executions they deserve, and stop spending money on incarcerating them instead.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, without some sort of compelling need, long term space projects are impossible.  Whenever we have a change in presidency, the new guy will always cut all of the existing projects, and then in a few years when he wants a legacy, he'll start a bunch of new projects which have no chance of reaching fruition before the next guy comes in and scraps them.

Offline stoneyface

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 08:05:06 am »
as long as the right drug dealers are dealt with that way. american needs to end the prohibition on marijuana and go after the REAL drugs, like meth, heroin, etc...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 11:30:03 am »
Good luck with that though. We have a Government who really believes it is their job to tell us what kind of light bulbs to use, who to sleep with, what a person can eat, what you can own, that they can take your property regardless of the constitution etc. etc.

One would stand a better chance of making a man made island off the coast somewhere.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 11:36:45 am »
  ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 05:36:24 pm by marstone »
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline 762_XC

• t00l
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 03:06:52 pm »
Let's keep the politics in H&S please.  :)
Fleet Vice Admiral 762
Director of Strategy and Tactics -Xenocorp
Quality Assurance Lead - SFC Community Edition (Beta)
--------------------------------

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 07:09:58 pm »
Your absolutely correct 762, my apologies. I get easily distracted these days, while I sit pondering the great questions of my life;

Such as, which came first, Daisy Dukes or the Girls in the Nair commercials wearing short shorts.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 07:35:42 pm »
Maybe NASA should have put a hand in on all that stimulus money being thrown around earlier in this administration.

Offline stoneyface

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 01:37:02 pm »
daisy dukes.... i need a moment ;)

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 07:39:08 pm »
Haha, I'm glad some one picked up on that. :D

Stephen

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 11:15:52 pm »
sts-135 finally launched today after many delays and weather issues. the last (really this time ;) i checked) it makes me sad to see the end of an era. obama told nasa that new breakthroughs need to be discovered and a new challenge targeted. i would say that is great and i  agree but how about some funding? how about kill that non-winnable, money draining project know as the war on drugs and shift the wasted funds to space exploration? you know, the continued existence of humans by reaching into space? we do need a new goal. i think manned mission to mars is probably everyone's first thought. i would like to see a lunar station. now is the time to write congressmen and push for more space exploration. now is the time when the memory is fresh and a successful shuttle program is remembered.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/launch/launch_blog.html

This is real sad is the tech really out dated to end the program or is it all $$$$$  X prise crap ?????????
I know my thoughts belong in hot and spicey but i dont have access to it.  Most of the Fedaral goverment is worthless as there is a State goverment agency that declairs federal is not right for them in one way or another.  Think about the saveings if the public did not have to pay 2 times for the same thing.??????????   Ohh jobs well hell let those that have a federal redundant paying job pay for it all then. Cost saveings = 50k to over 150k Fedearal jobs each person a year.  I in my entire life has never made more that 25k a year and i make things !!!! Take away that redundant worthlesness and saves BIG $.  Sorry fed workers but you should know better your work is paied by taxpayers and never has produced ANY profit ever!  Federal jobs can make a profit but so far i dont see any results from them.  :soap:
Time for life!

Offline stoneyface

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 12:25:16 pm »
here some great pics of the very last spacewalk on the shuttle missions. sigh... this all makes me very sad...

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/179012/20110713/last-nasa-spacewalk-marks-end-of-era.htm

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 02:06:39 pm »
This isn't as great as some of the other videos out there, but this is what I shot of last week's launch!

STS135 3

This was my first launch of any sort; I'd been talking about seeing one all my life, so I'm glad I finally got to see one. Interesting experience - we were over 12 miles away, so Atlantis was lost in the clouds before we heard it. We were also right on the water, and the locals hosting us told us that because of that and the heat, the infamous "rumble" that you can feel went right over our heads. Still pretty damn impressive, and I'm glad my kids got to see one.

Offline stoneyface

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 06:44:11 pm »
wow. just wow. i must admit i had a tear in my eye watching that..

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 11:39:18 pm »
Sad  day I hope the public continues  space travel.  I wish and wonder  :(
Time for life!

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 12:58:16 am »
Since Apollo, our space program has been steadily degraded.  NASA should have at least a half dozen major projects going:  Mars, Moon, Europa, ect.  A replacement for the shuttle should have been a priority, back when the Challenger blew up.  Until people start talking about coughing up the money to pay for a space program, I don't take anything seriously.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 01:09:35 am »
Since Apollo, our space program has been steadily degraded.  NASA should have at least a half dozen major projects going:  Mars, Moon, Europa, ect.  A replacement for the shuttle should have been a priority, back when the Challenger blew up.  Until people start talking about coughing up the money to pay for a space program, I don't take anything seriously.

Taxes and spending are the issues of the days  :P $14 trillion and counting 15 with intrest by the end of this year. Nasa and Many other goverment programs MUST go if this country we call USA must continue. I say each state as own but thats evil talk so  :-X
Time for life!

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 10:47:52 pm »

Taxes and spending are the issues of the days  :P $14 trillion and counting 15 with intrest by the end of this year. Nasa and Many other goverment programs MUST go if this country we call USA must continue. I say each state as own but thats evil talk so  :-X

You said it.  The space program is the legacy of a high tax era.  As we paid off the WWII debt, the government was raking in so much money that JFK couldn't cut taxes or spend it fast enough.  We don't have that problem any more.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 12:31:12 pm »
The US citizens now enjoy the lowest tax burden since 1958. I read that in that ultra-liberal rag, USA Today.   ::)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/taxes/2011-05-05-tax-cut-record-low_n.htm