Topic: Properly installing new graphics drivers.  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Properly installing new graphics drivers.
« on: January 02, 2013, 02:19:28 pm »
What is the proper way of installing your nvidea drivers?I was told just to install over the current one.

I did this for a few drivers and got display adaptor stopped working and has recovered.This happened a few times.When I went to boot up in the morning I got a brown screen and couldn't get rid of it.I had to unstall all of the drivers and software and reinstall from disk.

What does installing over a another driver do?Do you need to uninstall the drivers first thne install the new drivers.

thanks.

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Properly installing new graphics drivers.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 03:53:23 pm »
The 'proper' way is to remove the old ones in "Add Remove Programs" or "Programs and Features", and then install the new ones.

The reason is that nVidia and AMD will often have other programs and files that have to be updated in conjunction with drivers. I have seen rarely where the driver updated fine, but the other programs and files did not. Uninstalling via "Programs and Features" and then installing the new ones fixed it.

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 04:01:04 pm »
Nividia drivers are easy. Check the little box that says "Perform a clean installation" to have the install do all that work for you. Not uninstalling first or using the clean install option leaves possible residual references to the old drivers or calls on drivers leading to unexpected results. Drivers have gotten better over the years about that but it still is the safest bet.
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 04:54:24 pm »
Thanks all both suggestions worked.