Topic: R.I.P. Harryhausen  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
R.I.P. Harryhausen
« on: May 07, 2013, 07:02:17 pm »
Link to full article

Visual effects master Ray Harryhausen, whose stop-motion wizardry graced such films as Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans, has died aged 92.

The American made his models by hand and painstakingly shot them frame by frame to create some of the best-known animated sequences in cinema.

His death in London was confirmed to the BBC by a family representative.

"Harryhausen's genius was in being able to bring his models alive," said an official statement from his foundation.

"Whether they were prehistoric dinosaurs or mythological creatures, in Ray's hands they were no longer puppets but became instead characters in their own right."
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
Re: R.I.P. Harryhausen
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:02:44 pm »
His special effects were better 40 years ago than anything since. RIP
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 11:03:44 pm »
I loved his old work. RIP to the master of his craft.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 12:15:42 am »
He definitely left his mark on many young lads (and ladies I'm sure) as we were growing up.  The Sinbad Movies, Jason and the Argonauts, Clash Of The Titans (the original, not the recent remake), One Million Years BC...

Truly a movie icon!  RIP Ray!