Off Topic > Engineering

How badly has Windows 8 flopped?

(1/10) > >>

Nemesis:
Link to full article

--- Quote ---Microsoft is currently experimenting with a free version of Windows 8.1 that could boost the number of people using the operating system. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the company is building "Windows 8.1 with Bing," a version that will bundle key Microsoft apps and services. While early versions of the software have leaked online, we understand that Windows 8.1 with Bing is an experimental project that aims to bring a low-cost version of Windows to consumers. ZDNet first reported some Windows 8.1 with Bing details earlier this week.
--- End quote ---

Nemesis:
Win Phone 8 for free.  Nokia (remember Microsoft is in the process of buying them) releasing Android phones.  Barnes and Noble cancel their Win 8 Metro app.  Firefox for Metro canceled.  Almost forgot to add this, apparently MS is adding the ability to run Android apps to WinPhone 8.

Sounds like a flop to me.

Times like this I miss Toasty to tell me how none of this is bad for Microsoft and Windows.  :(

Brush Wolf:
At least PC wise W8 isn't a bad OS but the touch centric "features" are the problem. They should have had a optional mouse centric UI instead of the clunkyness of the current one.

Nemesis:
The free Windows 8 (not WinPhone 8 ) with Bing seems aimed at the Google ChromeBook like the one I'm posting from now.  Of course I'm using KDE rather than the Chrome OE and browsing with Firefox.

The two companies are both apparently fighting against dual boot Win8 and Chrome OS on tablets and I guess netbooks/laptops.  Microsoft has to be careful on that score with prior rulings concerning BeOS in that situation. 

Nemesis:
Now they are trying to bribe you to leave XP. 

--- Quote ---In an attempt to lure people off its 13-year-old Windows XP operating system, Microsoft will pay $100 to XP users who upgrade to a new Windows 8 PC.

The promotion, run via the Microsoft Store website, is open to users who ditch their Windows XP systems and buy new machines.

The money-off offer applies to PCs costing $699 or more that are bought from Redmond's online shop. The deal – which throws in 90 days of tech support and a download of software to migrate files all for free – will run through 15 June, nine weeks after official support for Windows XP is set to expire on April 8.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version