Topic: Lost and found  (Read 3565 times)

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
Lost and found
« on: March 20, 2014, 11:52:57 am »
So a couple weeks back I was up at my parents' place in search of my old bow. Nothing special, an old Bear Alaskan compound with only like 20% let off. BUT the GFs boy recently got a bow for xmas, so I figured I could track mine down and maybe he and I could sling some arrows together.

I was having horrible luck until I got to the back corner in the basement, behind a stack of boxes and spotted the case to my bow. Yay, but what really excited me was another long leather case leaned up in front of it. I pulled both out, focusing on the leather one, opened it up and sure enough..

I hadn't seen it in years, but inside in pristine condition was my dad's old recurve- a custom hand made Black Widow bow with a still clear as glass finish which was purchased new in 1965.  I took both in to be serviced. The Bear will be done today or tomorrow, but the Black Widow had mixed news. It is in mint condition, and lookes like it could be restrung without trouble, but to do so would likely crack and ruin the glossy finish.

The last time I saw this this strung I couldn't even draw it two inches back. Sadly, unless I want to ruin it I will likely never have the opportunity to fire it.
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Lost and found
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 03:02:22 pm »
It's funny you mentioned this, I have an old Long bow, of Stormblades here, that I got out the other day, but the fleching on the arrows, where worn out very thin, so I improvised.

Guys, you can make fletching from Duct tape.

Hey , I got your email bro, and will try and respond soon, Just been hectic , as my Gmaw is now with hospice, and trying to take care of her, takes up a lot of my time.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 06:13:06 pm »
I've still got 3 bows in my closet.  Haven't been used since High School.  The mediation technique I taught myself for archery back then has been useful over the years. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 02:14:10 pm »
I've still got 3 bows in my closet.  Haven't been used since High School.  The mediation technique I taught myself for archery back then has been useful over the years.

What technique is that?
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 03:46:18 pm »
Scotch!

Stephen <snickers>
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 07:04:15 pm »

What technique is that?

It doesn't have a name and I wouldn't know how to teach it.  In essence I achieve a state of concentration where my awareness is limited to the bow and arrow and the bulls eye. When achieving that state I never missed.  Couldn't always get into it though. 

I used it later on while bowling and people would get mad when I would walk away without waiting for the ball to hit and when they questioned me I'd tell them I don't need to watch because it is a strike.  They'd tell me you can't know that and as they said it the ball would hit and I'd say without looking its a strike.  Whenever I achieved "the state" a strike was guaranteed. 

I've also used it to substitute for missing sleep on occasion.  At least once my coworkers seeing me apparently conk out at break times and end the night shift fresh when I was pretty wiped on arrival thought I was using drugs but I wasn't. 

Unfortunately repeated injuries to my right hand preclude archery and bowling in the future. 

Scotch!

Stephen <snickers>

You know I don't drink.   decided quite early that berserkers should drink or do drugs. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 09:46:58 pm »
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 07:10:48 am »
I can't really describe it.  It is a level of concentration and focused awareness that goes beyond the norm.  In archery for example the focus was so tight that after I shot the arrow I was no longer aware of it even when it was sticking out of the bullseye that I could otherwise see clearly.  You achieve a state where only what you are focused on is part of your awareness.  Attracting your attention is very difficult without blocking your view of what you are focused on. 

I never used it on moving targets so can't say if it would be as effective.  I have wondered due to a few casual references I've seen if it is similar to the techniques used by zen archery but never really looked into it.

Unfortunately the injuries to the hand include the wrist (sliced through the artery and other damage).  The wrist damage also seems to link into damage to one of the fingers and thumb which I have some exercises to moderate it but limits such things as mouse use.  I use a trackball on the desktop to limit the issues.  The mouse I use with the laptop uses fairly small motions to move so it is less of an issue.  Using a squeeze bottle like I do with some lab tests hurts but is tolerable.  Day to day it doesn't cause much trouble unless I need to squeeze tightly or put sustained force in use.  I did over do it once before I learned the exercises (self taught) and put the right had right out of commission for a few days as any pressure on thumb or the injured fingers would cause spasms (even holding a pen).   

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 09:35:13 am »
Dang man, and this happened to your masturbating hand no less?

Dang.
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 11:24:29 am »
It can handle a lot but not sustained pressure or weight.  I can do bench presses because the weight isn't sustained for example, the pause between each one is enough if I don't try to do more than 20 or 30 at once.  In the back swing for bowling the weight is too great for my grip to be reliable and people don't like uncontrolled bowling balls flying back at them for some reason. 

My grip keeps improving (the last injury was about 2 years ago), when the last injury happened I couldn't put the pressure on to snap my fingers because of the pain.  Now I can but can't get the same "snap" I used to have.  If it continues I might be able to do the bowling again barring further injuries.  The pull on the wrist from archery is higher and steadier so I doubt I could ever go back to it as that injury is more than 20 years old and isn't likely to improve.  It might still block the bowling though. 

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 11:35:04 am »
Well, you could always do bullseye:

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/

:-)
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 12:10:55 pm »
I'm a city dweller these days and don't drive.  Just getting anywhere such shooting would be legal is a major effort.  That was the original reason I got out of archery, my family moved and I had no where to shoot that I could get to.  I'm not even sure what the current regulations are for gun ownership around here.