Topic: Starfleet Command 1 on GOG.com  (Read 6482 times)

Offline USS Mariner

• Heavy Cruiser, NCC-1712
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Starfleet Command 1 on GOG.com
« on: June 02, 2015, 05:12:09 am »
http://www.gog.com/game/star_trek_starfleet_command_gold_edition

What exactly does this mean for SFC2 and OP still being sold on Dynaverse.net, if anything?
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan

Steam: Mariner1712

Offline Oceankhayne

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Starfleet Command 1 on GOG.com
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 09:01:05 pm »
Nothing, I would think. Unless they just wanted to stop hosting it here when 2 and OP inevitably go up on gog.  The other Star Trek games showed up on Steam as well, so it's not an exclusive deal.  GOG would be a much better option anyway, as it would reach more people, and maybe revitalize the community a bit.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 09:43:59 pm »
I wonder how they are getting around the install issues with Win 8 let alone explaining how Dyna doesn't work.

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 11:42:46 pm »
I wonder how they are getting around the install issues with Win 8 let alone explaining how Dyna doesn't work.

I should probably try to install SFCI on my Windows 8 laptop just to see what happens.

I'm more curious as to know if they did any Win8 optimizations for SFC1.  GOG titles do occasionally have under the hood optimizations to go along with the DRM Free...

I'm currently running the GOG versions of  Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 on my Win 8 laptop (with the recommended patches).  It was a pretty painless install, and has been working OK.  Not sure what the CD version would be like, as I didn't own BG1&2  before now.

Mainly, I'm more interested in the DRM Free/No CD in drive required stuff.  I'd love to see SFC2 EAW/OP end up on GOG, but who knows if that'll happen.

What has me more interested is what deal had to be struck with ADB to re-release SFC.  I seem to remember there was some bad blood - If I recall the random comments correctly, SVC was saying something about not getting paid what he thought he was supposed to get in the SFC licensing deal.  I'm sure those better in the know than me might remember what this was about (like Frey, for instance...).

Did SFC1 even have a Dyna?  It's been a while, and I've never played any of the SFC series online.

Oh, and
YAY GOG!

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 12:24:43 am »
Well it works on win 7, make sure to turn of DSR for geforce cards, it will screw with the game!
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Still Building Models Nobody Wants ...
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 10:36:51 am »
It also works on the current version of WINE on LinuxMint. Just be sure to use Software Mode in the configuration.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 08:59:11 am »
Can you do multi-player internet games with it?

Thinking about getting it since I'm on Win-7.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 02:26:12 pm »
Just as an aside, As me as the go between with Gog and Frey, we are starting talks about having the later series on there also. It is very preliminary, in that I am working on finding a good video of the SFC CE for them to show case the game.

Like I said, it is very early to tell anything, but we are working on it. just a lot of paper work and such.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 03:43:40 pm »
I just want to be able to play any edition reliably with other people. It helps that the sfc 1 campaign was a blast.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 11:53:14 am »
I still have it on a few computers here, along with backup copies of the master CD (it's too precious to risk actually being used!!)

I can still remember my son showing his friend why Star Trek Legacy sucks when we played a one off LAN game on SFC 1.

It was AI (Gorn) versus them (Lyran) versus me (Klingon), which I obviously won being the superior race with the best looking ship (SFB C7).

I performed a high speed hit and run in my forst pass, nailing their transporter and a few other systems, before making good distance to recharge the disrupters. However whilst they were watching me the AI Gorn CA performed a drive by shooting..... it looked devestatingly effective from my view of it.

From the next room, through the wall, I could hear panic and, "OH MY GOD!! HE'S TURNING FOR ANOTHER PASS!! ", followed by, "TURN THE WEAPONS OFF!!",....., "ARE YOU SERIOUS!!",....., "YES!! DIVERT EVERYTHING TO SHIELDS!!".

My son managed to tractor the Gorn CA and push it into an asteroid which they had limped next to. According to my probe scan they had just about everything buggered, so I went in and finished them off.

SFC 1 still is and always will be a brilliant game to play.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Kzinbane

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 01:10:28 pm »
I've been playing SFC1 from GOG on a windows 8.1 Dell all-in-one.  I had issues at first and had to play with the video display options to get one that wouldn't crash.  Other than that, I do get a very occasional crash. 
The funniest thing was  - having not played any SFC for what, 10 years now - my muscle memory remembered many of the hot keys.  I had no idea what they were, but my hands did.

I'm anxiously hoping that SFC2, OP and Empires at war come along.

I just wish I could find the models I used to use - some of the mods were really good.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 01:20:03 pm »
I just want to be able to play any edition reliably with other people. It helps that the sfc 1 campaign was a blast.

I'm not sure getting Dyna to work is possible at all.   IP games sure, but that works fine as it is now.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .