Topic: Hex Grid  (Read 4549 times)

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
Hex Grid
« on: January 24, 2016, 08:04:44 pm »
Any ideas on the km one hex grid should encompass, and the size in km for combat.

Or maybe an octagon?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:16:47 pm by [UFP]Exeter »

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
Re: Hex Grid
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 10:55:43 pm »
Tactical or Strategic?

Hex Grids are a must for board games, don't really need them in a computer game.  In a computer game, the X,Y,Z  coordinate system works best.  I think, what you are asking is what kind of numbers do we want to deal with.

Meters are definately too small, Kilometers probably are too.  I'm torn between hundred kilometers and thousand kilometers.  At a thousand kilometers, that's a huge gap between two ships at range 1.  Even at hundred kilometers its still a big gap, but it adds the next problem,  Transporter range is several thousand kilometers.  Do we really want people beaming 40 units away?  I think thousand kilometers is best, but that's a lot of detail lost, and the ships would be huge compared to what they really are, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see them, even at range 1.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 09:57:41 am »
strategic as tactical will be meters

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 10:23:44 am »
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 10:26:50 am »
subject to change,

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 08:38:30 pm »
Ok... strategically speaking... I guess the question is how big are the "Maps" that tactical fights take place on?  And are they static?  Changeable based on events and actions, but otherwise the same?  If they aren't static, and generated the exact same way they are generated in SFC2, then the Hex grid should be large.  If they are static, it should be small.

Static: 1 Square Light Year.  (Large enough for a planetary system and it's immediate surrounding space, but not large enough for more than one)

Nonstatic: 1 Sector (20x20 Light Years, or 400 Square Light Years), large enough for several star systems.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 02:27:26 pm »
I was thinking a large (huge) static map to allow interaction and players their private region