Taldrenites > Starfleet Command Mods

SFC:III accessing the Componet and Driver files.

(1/5) > >>

AlDaja:
Greetings everyone.  Looking to see if anyone knows how to access the Components and Driver files for Starfleet Command III.  We currently have one mod SFC:III - Typhon Pact out (working on another) and would like to make both mods even better by customizing them specific to the mod universe we've created.  Specifically, we'd like to be able to change/correct the movement of the Borg or assign races to the 'blank' AI's that Taldren left open, but did not finish.  We are hoping once we get into these files we can change the game logic and potentially add UI to the open 4 race slots. i.e. Species 8472, Cardassians...

We would appreciate anyone who can help us fully maximize our mod(s) and make them an integral part of the SFC:III gaming experience.

TarMinyatur:
Download IDA 6.8. Very few of us in the SFC Community have learned how to hex edit these games. Currently we are able to do simple things -- adjust weapon damage tables, fix range-checking bugs, and move variables to sfc.ini. Complicated stuff like filling in Taldren's incomplete features is not easy.

JanB was working on SFC3. The more people that get a disassembler, the faster that features can be modified or added.   

AlDaja:

--- Quote from: TarMinyatur on February 24, 2017, 07:21:40 pm ---Download IDA 6.8. Very few of us in the SFC Community have learned how to hex edit these games. Currently we are able to do simple things -- adjust weapon damage tables, fix range-checking bugs, and move variables to sfc.ini. Complicated stuff like filling in Taldren's incomplete features is not easy.

JanB was working on SFC3. The more people that get a disassembler, the faster that features can be modified or added.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your reply.  I appreciate the tip.  I think my programmer might already have this editor, if not, where can I download it?  Yup, JanB is my go-to-guy.  I currently have a pending query with him and hoping he might have an idea or know of someone who has figured it out. 

EDIT:  We were able to find an IDA 5.0 free version, so we will see what we can do. 

d4v1ks:

--- Quote from: AlDaja on February 24, 2017, 01:50:33 pm ---(...) would like to make both mods even better by customizing them specific to the mod universe we've created.  Specifically, we'd like to (...) assign races to the 'blank' AI's that Taldren left open, but did not finish.  We are hoping once we get into these files we can change the game logic and potentially add UI to the open 4 race slots. i.e. Species 8472, Cardassians (...)

--- End quote ---

I took a look in your ideia today, and, related to the UI specifically, you would need a lot of assembly code changed, and massive modifications to the sprites.q3, to give UIs to all the 'blank' races.
Even so, these would be the easiest modifications of all. Because, the game calls almost every UI by name. And those names can be searched easily.
The game seems harcoded to 4 races almost everywhere i looked. And they didnt left any code to handle those extra 4 races. It would need to be created.
In the end, if we were sucessful at this task, there isnt any reason to think that the game would 'see' those changes, because the UI is just a part of the game logic.
Just this part looks almost impossible. And i like this ideia alot.
My 10 cents..

AlDaja:

--- Quote from: d4v1ks on February 26, 2017, 09:04:17 am ---
--- Quote from: AlDaja on February 24, 2017, 01:50:33 pm ---(...) would like to make both mods even better by customizing them specific to the mod universe we've created.  Specifically, we'd like to (...) assign races to the 'blank' AI's that Taldren left open, but did not finish.  We are hoping once we get into these files we can change the game logic and potentially add UI to the open 4 race slots. i.e. Species 8472, Cardassians (...)

--- End quote ---

I took a look in your ideia today, and, related to the UI specifically, you would need a lot of assembly code changed, and massive modifications to the sprites.q3, to give UIs to all the 'blank' races.
Even so, these would be the easiest modifications of all. Because, the game calls almost every UI by name. And those names can be searched easily.
The game seems harcoded to 4 races almost everywhere i looked. And they didnt left any code to handle those extra 4 races. It would need to be created.
In the end, if we were sucessful at this task, there isnt any reason to think that the game would 'see' those changes, because the UI is just a part of the game logic.
Just this part looks almost impossible. And i like this ideia alot.
My 10 cents..

--- End quote ---

This is AlDaja 's programmer Amro.  Thanks for the reply.  If we could get a q3 and the related files with the UI opened  for the other races (excluding the Ferengi) we could make the game work with all races. When we were experimenting with adding 8 races  for our mod SFC:III - Typhon Pact, we found that we had inadvertently made the other four race slots playable.  They were operating correctly, however, they were missing some of the race specific UI elements. Therefore, I think with us changing the game as much as we have for our mod, I believe we have already recoded much of the game to work with 8 playable races.  Wherever AlDaja saw any coding for only 4 races, he added the coding for the full 8 presuming that was necessary for our mod.  Adding to that I have enough control over the mission scripts to add scripts for all 8 races. I honestly think that if you could add the UI elements or could tell me how to do it myself,  I would have a working knowledge with what we have on our side and could have a full and complete 8-race playable SFC3 that then can be released to the larger SFC III community.

If we can achieve this it will undoubtedly inspire new mods.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version