Off Topic > Engineering

Picked up a new laptop.

(1/7) > >>

Nemesis:
For the first while I'm "burning it in" and have to use the installed OS.  After 10 years of mostly Linux it is very frustrating dealing without the many better ways I'm used to.  Not a happy camper :(

All the nonsense you can't uninstall or even remove from the start menus.  I'm NEVER going to use some of this stuff and it is occupying prime real estate on menu and that is the end of it.  Why can't they remember a very simple key fact IT IS MY COMPUTER and MY COPY of Windows NOT THEIRS. 

Javora:
Not like you can't dual boot.  But I understand what you are saying.  Hope you like your new computer.

Nemesis:
The computer is fine.  The OS is annoying. 

Over night it did an update, then this morning I wanted to check the Weather Network to decide how to dress for the E-Bike ride to work and the update wouldn't let me use any of the active programs UNTIL I dealt with the update and rebooted.  No time for that so I ended up over dressed for the temps. 

Once I've burned in for a few weeks I'll install Linux.  I just don't want to change the OS until the burn in period is over to avoid warranty issues if it fails (no you broke it by not using the preinstalled OS nonsense).  Mostly such electronics either last for years or fail in the first month so I'm running SETI@Home on it to stress it.  It is a MSI i7 at 2.8ghz gaming notebook 17.3 inches. 

Brush Wolf:
Is it that Linux is really so much better or that you are used to how things are done in Linux, I would be completely lost in Linux. As Javora mentions you can dual boot.

Nemesis:
For years I had both side by side and used Windows almost exclusively then in early Sept 2007 I had a problem with the Linux machine and had to use Windows to look up the solution and realized the situation had reversed and I hadn't booted into the Windows machine in over a month and found the ease of use of the Windows machine was decreased by the lack of the extras I'd gotten used to that were on Linux and still not on Windows.  For me Linux works better even though when that transition point occurred I knew Windows far better.  I still don't know Linux as well as I knew Windows because I haven't been forced to learn as much due to the lack of problems.  This is for my personal use at work I use 3 program on Win 10 but nothing fancy so it doesn't bother me as much as on my own machines where I do more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version