Topic: Mod Guide? SFB Minor Races?  (Read 9059 times)

Offline jimmyjimjam

• Ensign
Mod Guide? SFB Minor Races?
« on: October 12, 2018, 12:16:07 pm »
Hi everyone.  I was just wondering if there was a comprehensive guide to all the mods for Starfleet Command out there.  I see people talking about things that I can't find on my own.  Also, there are no mods that incorporate minor SFB races like the LDR, WYNs, Frax, etc. correct?  Thanks.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
Re: Mod Guide? SFB Minor Races?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 12:53:37 am »
Orion Pirates has LDR ships as part of the Lyran interface. The WYN ships are part of the Mirak (Kzinti) interface. Tholians were added to a mod by Brezgonne long ago. Never seen Paravian, Seltorian, Jindarian, Frax, or Omega stuff in SFC yet.

It's possible to mod the weaponry in OP 2.564 with the SFC Editor to create approximations of Particle Cannons, Plasma bolts, etc. Nobody has done so in two years, except an unreleased WIP by Adam.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 09:38:15 am »
I've added the following into my SFC 1 game:

Kzinti
Wyn
Cardassians
LDR
Talarians
Pakleds
Eln
ISC

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 07:30:06 pm »
I recently acquired a copy of the SFB 1991 Captain's Module P1 and I'm in the middle of creating & adding in the Frax fleet.

I liked the "Last Day Of The Bounty Hunters" Klingon 701st PF Flotilla versus a Kzinti Q-Ship trap scenario, so I spent over an hour on Friday afternoon scripting it into my enhanced version of SFC 1 using FMSE. Most of the time was translating hex starting coordinates into FMSE grid coordinates.

I played it 4 times and it is as difficult as the original module scenario suggests.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 10:05:45 am by Panzergranate »
The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 08:51:27 am »
I have finally added the SFB Frax minor race into my SFC 1 game as an AI opponent / playable neutral option!!

I spent 3 hours (Sunday 8th November 2020) translating the Frax SSDs into SFC 1's SFBSFC13.TXT file using Eagle Eye Software's Ship Edit V2.0 tool. There's a lot of ships in their navy. I used Hydran UI's. I used Q as the race identifier in the shiplist file under the Neutral section.

Q-FF
Q-DW
Q-DWD
Q-DWE
Q-DWA
Q-DWM
Q-DWS
Q-CA
Q-CWV
Q-DN

I then spent another 3 hours creating the models using the M6 V2.0 SFC 1 / SFC 2 3D modelling & kit bashing tool.

I then spent 20 minutes creating a couple of 1 on 1 skirmish mission, for SFC 1, using Eagle Eye Software's FMSE tool. Tried out a F-FFD versus Q-FF & F-DDG versus a Q-DW.

All I can say is that the unusual weapons firing arcs are interesting, as are the equal #2, #3, #4, #5 & #6 shield layouts.

The Captain's Module P1 has an SFB scenario called "Form A Line Of Battle" which is a any race player selectable 1405 BPV fleet action against a defined Frax battle fleet. I'm planning to script this today.

Obviously to be certain of winning players are recommended to play as the Gorns!!

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 08:35:57 am »
Added in the Frax War Corvette, from an ADB SSD I found online. I finished the model at 2 AM on 12th November.

I also added my own design for a Frax Battlecruiser.

Pretty much ready for download, once I've had fun playtesting them and the skirmish scripts I've written for them.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 09:05:43 am »
I always liked the Frax but my SFB play group wouldn't let me try them.  I did put some into OP myself and found them interesting to fly against and to fly. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 09:43:50 am »
I've found that the War Destroyer seems to be like fighting against a Heavy Cruiser when it comes to incoming direct fire weapons. Their broadside firepower, on all ships, potential is frightening as all their direct fire weapons cover FX & RX arcs.

The Heavy Cruiser is more like fighting a Battlecruiser, the Corvette is more like fighting a Fleet Frigate and the Dreadnaught is more like fighting a Battleship.

The War Cruiser is more or less equal to a Heavy Cruiser in most of the major SFB / SFC races.

Fed ships don't fare well against them and are rapidly overwhelmed, then destroyed. Klingon ships are able to cripple the Frax ships reasonably quickly, due to good firepower. I usually swamp the Frax ship with a Drone salvo, so that they discharge their aft Phaser banks, then close in close for a passing Phaser & Disrupter shot, then make distance again.

Gorn ships just kill them without much too much bother.

They don't take internal damage very well though, so a good salvo hit is very effective up chewing up their innards, especially from a Gorn fly by Plasma shooting (my son's favourite tactic!!).

I have them with pre Y175 single Drone B rack reloads. Two reload racks after Y175.

I'm still writing SFC 1 Skirmish scripts for them, now that I've finished the models. I'll post them for download at sometime in the future.

If anyone wants them for SFC 2 I'll have to convert them from SFC 1 in my usual way.