Topic: The Ghosts of Battleclinic...  (Read 3431 times)

Offline jayvt3

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
The Ghosts of Battleclinic...
« on: November 12, 2018, 05:53:24 pm »
Many, many years ago I started collecting models made by some of the greats, not so greats, flash in the pan and few of ill repute.  Some were truly works of art and others not so much.

Well a few years back my desktop suffered a whopper of a Windows update.  The hard drive was dead and the infection spread into my one and only external drive.  Years and gigabytes of pictures, music, movies and models were gone before you could say "Damn you Bill and the pox on Melinda's boyfriend".

I searched for data recovery programs and services.  The programs were crap and the services wanted, literally, thousands of dollars for recovery. 

Well I'm a patient man.  I figured that data recovery would be a boon field and that prices would reflect market value but it was still too high for me to afford.  So I did the next best thing.  I learned to do it myself.

So the good news is that of pictures I was able to recover 90% of the total but 100% of the ones that meant the most to me.
Of the movies, music and ebooks I was able to recover 13% of the total but I was able to find online all that I had lost and so much more.
Now of the models?
99.97%.

I now have a grand total of 122+ gigabytes in 20,090 folders of ship models...Base models, asteroid models, planet models...I got models of models of models that they're coming out of my nose.  Yo dawg, I heard you like models...

Bad News...the files are not named, just numbered. :banghead:
I did the math.  If I do one file every three minutes for 3 hours a day for 3 days.  call in sick only twice a month.  forgo bathing regularly and cut down my grocery shopping to just Mountain Dew, ramen noodles and Doritos...I'll be able to get the Fed, Klink and Roms done before I need a quadruple bypass or loose my legs to Type II Diabeetus.

Wish me luck or somebody go start a GoFundMe or a Patreon account.  If I die the one who guessed the closest to number of completed files gets the pot.  If I live long enough to finish all of them and still have all my appendages...I want half  :knuppel2: :knuppel2: and the rest can go to a worthy charity like St. Jude's Childrens Hospital.

I'll keep y'all posted.  Goodnight and GOD Bless

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
Re: The Ghosts of Battleclinic...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 07:39:00 pm »
 ;D

Truly a worthy endeavor.

Qapla!!

HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 11:01:56 pm »
Will name a starship after you  ;D

I would say a solar system but... the SFC maps don’t work that way.
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 09:25:25 pm »
You do the work of the angels.

Still not convinced I've found all my hoarded models.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 08:26:47 am »
Don't run win 10, its a scam! full of bug, well I mean full of windows since all windows are made of bugs that patch make it worst.

Data recovery do all the same, they gave you back the stuff but not like it was. So in a way you lost part of what it was call.

The best thing to do is having backup outside the computer, like on USB key or a external HD to store all.

Offline jayvt3

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Update 1, day 3.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 01:54:08 am »
today I got two teeth pulled.

but I got some really good pain meds and a whole bottle of scotch.

I got over 300 models done only because I didn't pass out due to blood loss or the pain and that they were mostly copies of copies.

Offline SonicJordan

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 02:54:53 pm »
I would love to download these models again.

Offline jayvt3

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 04:08:22 am »
as soon as I am able i'll upload.  I just need to find a reliable site.  also many are missing the original read me files and a tremendous amount have been, for lack of a better term, plagiarized.

the sites that I was able to pull them from were just crap when it came to verifying authenticity.  luckily they're all dead sites now.

if you have a certain model that you're looking for, let me know and i'll keep an eye out for it.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 07:49:07 am »
Some people are using Dropbox with some success.  Hope this helps...