Taldrenites > General Starfleet Command Forum

I played my first SFB game since the early 1980's today..

(1/7) > >>

Panzergranate:
Today, at the South Dorset Military Society's monthly meeting (at Entoyment, Alpha Business Centre, Fleets Bridge, Poole, Dorset, England), I played my first Star Fleet Battles game since 1982.

It was a Cadet 16 impulses per turn, basic rules, introduction with a friend who's always wanted to play SFB, but didn't know anybody who had the game or any ship models. I use Micro Machine models kit bashed into Federation DD, BC, CL & Tug & Klingon C7 kit bashed from a D7.

In the scenario he played a Fed CA versus my D7. I wasn't allowed to use drones, to make it easier as my friend is a newbie..... and he wiped the floor with me, after 6 turns.

He's now hooked on SFB and wants the next game to include the 32 impulses per game turn movement, with the full rules in play.

Nemesis:
You need to use your maneuverability and those 60o firing arcs.  Also don't forget you don't have to arm every weapon every pass. 

Starfox1701:
Saber dance man saber dance

Nemesis:
I just realized he said cadet rules.  I never used them so it is hard to say how much of the strategy of the full rules and full ships applies to the cadet cruisers.

Panzergranate:
Cadet rules = 16 impulses per turn, all turn mode A, no lock-ons, no shield reinforcement, no damage control repairs, no shuttles, no ECM or ECCM, no overloads, no transporter use, no transporter bombs or mines, no shield cost, no life support cost, no mutiny, no HET, no tractor use, etc.

The energy allocation form is very simple. Just fly, manoeuvre & shoot.

What's annoying is that I had a perfect Alpha strike shot, at range 2 hexes, into his number 2 shield...... and threw 3 x 6's (Disrupters) & lots of 4's and 5's with the phaser 2's.

It went downhill rapidly from there.

The Cadet rules F-CA SSD has aft Ph-1, the SFC one doesn't. I didn't notice this until he used them after I'd manoeuvred my D7 for a shot into his aft shield with my aft facing Ph-2's.. 

The SFB F-CA is OP compared to the K-D7.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version