Dynaverse.net

Taldrenites => Starfleet Command Models => Topic started by: Adonis on August 21, 2007, 06:25:23 am

Title: Joshua class v2.0 (your usual WIP revisit™®© thread)
Post by: Adonis on August 21, 2007, 06:25:23 am
OK, so, I was never quite satisfied with the way the Joshuas turned out *ducks from incoming fire due to not releasing the original pack in the first place*.

So, I've added another sideproject to keep my coffee consumption up besides the Excels.

TMP basic version textures 99.99% done:
Title: Re: Joshua class v2.0 (your usual WIP revisit™®© thread)
Post by: Scottish Andy on August 21, 2007, 07:34:46 am
Never been that hung up on the Joshua (why the smeg would a destroyer design be listed as a command cruiser?) but this is a beautiful rendering if the design.

So beautiful, in fact, I may actually want to get it as an Excelsior or Ambassador-Era destroyer.

Brilliant job, mate! :thumbsup:
Title: Re: Joshua class v2.0 (your usual WIP revisit™®© thread)
Post by: Adonis on August 22, 2007, 06:59:55 am
Never been that hung up on the Joshua (why the smeg would a destroyer design be listed as a command cruiser?) but this is a beautiful rendering if the design.

So beautiful, in fact, I may actually want to get it as an Excelsior or Ambassador-Era destroyer.

Brilliant job, mate! :thumbsup:

The Joshua class is the best Command Cruiser design I saw. Mostly because of the fact that the command room is both visible on the orthos and in the cutaway. Oh, and don't forget the fact that she has transwarp engines according to the schematics.

Ok, finished the Loki and Scout, the TNG left to do, and their texturing.
Title: Re: Joshua class v2.0 (your usual WIP revisit™®© thread)
Post by: Vipre on August 22, 2007, 08:03:22 am
These ships are hot. Incredible work really and this comes from someone who personally hates this starship hull configuration. Never liked Saladins or Akulas either.

Is there a Connie in this style anywhere?
Title: Re: Joshua class v2.0 (your usual WIP revisit™®© thread)
Post by: Centurus on August 22, 2007, 08:24:37 am
These ships are hot. Incredible work really and this comes from someone who personally hates this starship hull configuration. Never liked Saladins or Akulas either.

Is there a Connie in this style anywhere?

Something tells me he can whip one up.  Although he's supposed to help me redo the Resurrection.  :-p  Well, show me how to do the work myself from the ground up anyway.
Title: Re: Joshua class v2.0 (your usual WIP revisit™®© thread)
Post by: Scottish Andy on August 22, 2007, 08:32:05 am
Quote
The Joshua class is the best Command Cruiser design I saw. Mostly because of the fact that the command room is both visible on the orthos and in the cutaway.


A command room is just that: a room. You could have, for example, a 'Generations'-style stellar cartography room as the command and control room. Make a bigger control pedestal in the centre and you can make it a CIC or Flag Bridge with a full admiral's staff.

Or are we seeing this as an Air Force One/E4B-style ship that is a civilian authority, rather than military?

Quote
Oh, and don't forget the fact that she has transwarp engines according to the schematics.

According to canon, the UFP doesn't have a viable transwarp engine even by the 2370s. While it would be a must-have for a command ship if it existed, an Excelsior/Ambassador era ship wouldn't.
Title: Re: Joshua class v2.0 (your usual WIP revisit™®© thread)
Post by: FoaS_XC on August 22, 2007, 12:53:04 pm
According to canon, the UFP doesn't have a viable transwarp engine even by the 2370s. While it would be a must-have for a command ship if it existed, an Excelsior/Ambassador era ship wouldn't.

Trek is a Salad Bar. Take what you want, leave the rest.
Title: Re: Joshua class v2.0 (your usual WIP revisit™®© thread)
Post by: Chris Johnson on August 22, 2007, 01:01:11 pm
It seems like a smack of a TNG-era combination of the Excelsior-class and Galaxy-class starships (and maybe with a hint of the Constitution refit considering the torp bay), yet set closer to around Post-TMP/Pre-TNG.  She's a wonderful-looking design, but the two design traits just somewhat confuse me, especially with the smack of Galaxy-class design.  Although I guess it shouldn't with more TNG-era markings, part of me is given the low registry number...

Ugh, I guess I should just throw out my fanboy-ness and just enjoy the aesthetics.
Title: Re: Joshua class v2.0 (your usual WIP revisit™®© thread)
Post by: Adonis on August 22, 2007, 03:50:03 pm
OK, texture-wise, the TNG version is done too. Now, I based her paint scheme off the Ambassador orthos from Ex-Astris Scientia, it's a color scheme I like a lot, despite the crappy Jein design of that ship  :P And I don't really care what others think about the coloring.
Title: Re: Joshua class v2.0 (your usual WIP revisit™®© thread)
Post by: admiral horton on August 22, 2007, 11:42:00 pm
i like the tng one and i hope you'll post an orthographic view of the very nicely done design
Title: Re: Joshua class v2.0 (your usual WIP revisit™®© thread)
Post by: Vipre on August 23, 2007, 05:47:32 am
Ditto. I think those colors work nicely.
Title: Re: Joshua class v2.0 (your usual WIP revisit™®© thread)
Post by: Scottish Andy on August 23, 2007, 11:38:04 am
I think it just looks Galaxy-esque because of the "cobra-headed" design. With all the other Trek ship design elements being retconned into all the different eras, I have no problem with an Excelsior-era version of it, since the Excelsior neck is so thick it doesn't lend itself well to these "lollipop-style" destroyer configurations.

Either way, the ship looks friggin' beautiful, Adonis. Personally, I do prefer the TMP paint scheme you have at the top. Will you be releasing her with both teture sets?

Anyone know what the size stats on this ship are?
Title: Re: Joshua class v2.0 (your usual WIP revisit™®© thread)
Post by: Adonis on August 23, 2007, 01:24:44 pm
I think it just looks Galaxy-esque because of the "cobra-headed" design. With all the other Trek ship design elements being retconned into all the different eras, I have no problem with an Excelsior-era version of it, since the Excelsior neck is so thick it doesn't lend itself well to these "lollipop-style" destroyer configurations.

Either way, the ship looks friggin' beautiful, Adonis. Personally, I do prefer the TMP paint scheme you have at the top. Will you be releasing her with both teture sets?

Anyone know what the size stats on this ship are?

I did 3 texture sets. A TMP, Lost Era and the TNG version from the last pix.

Specs: Length: 347.9m, (base) 7 dual phaser banks, 2 fore/1 aft torp tube, (Loki) 7 dual phaser banks, 2 fore mega phasers, 2 fore/1 aft torp tube, Scout: 7 dual phaser banks, 2 fore torp tubes.

I have hardpointed them in BC to have port/starboard warp coils.

Pix of Lost Era texture set (Note: white regs with black outlines depict my personal ships):
Title: Re: Joshua class v2.0 (your usual WIP revisit™®© thread)
Post by: Scottish Andy on August 24, 2007, 12:33:13 pm
Looking good, Adonis. What's the release date looking like? I didn't see them on Battleclinic this morning.

I've come around to the idea of this hull type as a command ship - not a cruiser, but a ship - after examining exactly what it is a command ship is supposed to do - stay out of the battle to let the Admirals direct it. All you really need is C3I systems and sensors, the techs to work and repair them, and good engines to get to the battle - or get out of Dodge - in a hurry. Strong shields would be an idea too, as would good manoeuvrability.

I am thinking of this kind of ship as an E4 NEACP though, not a fleet flagship.
Title: Re: Joshua class v2.0 (your usual WIP revisit™®© thread)
Post by: KOTH-KieranXC, Ret. on August 27, 2007, 12:06:15 am
As I was telling Andy over IM the other day, I'd always thought this design was ridiculously dumb, but this model has softened that perception. I still think along the same lines Andy does as far as the idiocy of the classification of the ship, but I have to tell you, Adonis, it is a beautiful model. Those first two renders look like actual physical models, not CG images.