Dynaverse.net

Off Topic => Ten Forward => Topic started by: IndyShark on April 11, 2010, 10:10:57 am

Title: A strange dollar bill?
Post by: IndyShark on April 11, 2010, 10:10:57 am
I recently received a very strange looking dollar bill for change from Quiznos. I didn't pay a lot of attention to it until I got home. I looked at it and thought it might be a  counterfeit. When I compared it to another dollar, I noticed it was very, very different. For one, it was a "silver certificate". The color was different, the layout was different and it was printed in 1935! I've never seen anything like it before.

Does anyone know anything about this? I wonder if it is worth anything.
Title: Re: A strange dollar bill?
Post by: knightstorm on April 11, 2010, 12:38:49 pm
Yeah, I've gotten one of those before.  Its ridiculous what you sometimes get in circulation.  I also got a buffalo nickel in change from the supermarket once.
Title: Re: A strange dollar bill?
Post by: stoneyface on April 11, 2010, 12:40:08 pm
dude that is worth a lot more than a $1 these days.

it used to be you could turn in those silver certificates in for $1 of pure silver. the same with the really old gold certificates. they are collectible now and are worth more than their face value
Title: Re: A strange dollar bill?
Post by: Nemesis on April 11, 2010, 03:59:01 pm
It is amazing what people will spend without realizing its true value.  My mother for example has 2 U.S. silver dollars which I believe she acquired that way - 1877 issue.  I suspect them to be worth much more than $1 each.
Title: Re: A strange dollar bill?
Post by: Kreeargh on April 12, 2010, 12:52:35 am
The feel of the paper/cloth its printed on alone will let you know if its fake or not!
Title: Re: A strange dollar bill?
Post by: Corbomite on April 12, 2010, 07:01:52 am
If you ever find a dollar with a red treasury seal and serial numbers and was printed in 1928 its worth a lot. Other red seal notes can be worth some money too. You will mainly see those in $5 bills.
Title: Re: A strange dollar bill?
Post by: Starfox1701 on April 12, 2010, 11:13:46 am
Well 1935 was the first year of federal reserve notes which is what we tend to think of as money but at that time both Treasurey Notes and  Silver Certificates where both still in print and circulation. The bill should have a title at the top. Pluse there is the color of some of the writing and the seal. Federal reserve notes have green as we all know. Treasurey Notes have red writing. Silver Certificates have blue. Notes before 1933 might also come in the flavor of Gold Certificates which also have red ink.
Title: Re: A strange dollar bill?
Post by: Sirgod on April 12, 2010, 04:54:33 pm
Shoot Indy, IT's time for you and I to hit Pawnstars bro. :D



Man I love that show.

Stephen
Title: Re: A strange dollar bill?
Post by: IndyShark on April 12, 2010, 06:57:13 pm
It has the title at the top like you suggest. It's a cool collectors item. I've to keep it with my other unusual trinkets...