Topic: SFC3 freezes  (Read 3699 times)

Clark Kent

SFC3 freezes
« on: February 08, 2003, 02:43:01 pm »

I got this game back in November, and I have not been able to play it even once.  Everytime I load it it goes through the movies just fine, and then I get a complete freeze after that.  I've tried getting all the latest updates for my system, and my video card, but nothing changes.  Quite frankly I'm starting to get pissed about this.  Does anyone have a clue what is going on with this thing?
I'm running a Compaq 1.2 Ghtz AMD 384Kb onchip memory
384 megs of RAM
Windows ME
NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 420 video card (64meg)

CK

Blitzkrieg

Re: SFC3 freezes
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 02:58:37 pm »
If you have Direct X9 (or the DX9 beta when this came out) then you will need to get the DX9 patch. Thats all I can think of right this second.

Clark Kent

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2003, 03:32:17 pm »
Quote:

If you have Direct X9 (or the DX9 beta when this came out) then you will need to get the DX9 patch. Thats all I can think of right this second.  

probably a good suggestion, but it did nothing.  
CK

Toasty0

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 03:55:53 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

CK  

You installed the SFC DX9 patch?  

Also, my son and I had a problem with that exact same card. We had to update the drivers to solve the video problems. You can get the newest drivers for that card at the below link. Be sure to uninstall the old Nvidia drivers before installing the new ones.
 http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Have a good day
« Last Edit: February 08, 2003, 04:01:22 pm by Toasty0 »

Clark Kent

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 09:50:50 pm »
Quote:

Also, my son and I had a problem with that exact same card. We had to update the drivers to solve the video problems. You can get the newest drivers for that card at the below link. Be sure to uninstall the old Nvidia drivers before installing the new ones.

Have a good day

Aahh, that's striking a bell.  I did get the driver updates, but the computer was telling me something was wrong after installing them.  Everything is working ok now, but that just might be it.  How do I uninstall the old drivers?
CK

Clark Kent

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2003, 11:25:55 am »
Bump

Clark Kent

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2003, 08:26:00 pm »
Bump again

Dash Jones

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2003, 04:21:40 am »
Well there' s the easy way and the hard way.

the easy way is to d/l the new drivers, and run the install.  They should overwrite any problems you had in the old drivers...that's a should.   This is the easy way.

Then you could try setting up an alternative fo rthe drivers.

Or you could simply uninstall the drivers...to do this however, you will have to revert to the generic Microsoft drivers, and then reinstall.  This would be, obviously the hard way.  If you really have problems uninstalling them, after reverting to the Microsoft generic drivers, you can manually uninstall your drivers by manually deleting them and all records of them, and then doing a complete install...not my first suggestion though.

Another thing to check.  How many CD drives do you have...or DVD drives.  Make sure the CD is in the same drive as you installed it in.  I have had a CD read problem with XP (not ME but who knows, maybe it's similar) which will not read the CD (hence a game freeze of sorts) if the CD is not in the right drive.  Another factor of this, is if the registry has been corrupted, and hence either the CD route is not found, OR, the CDkey is corrupted, in which case, a complete install reinstall might correct the problem, OR, it might not work unless you clean ALL records of SFC from your registry, a task not to be undertaken unless you KNOW what you are doing.

Finally, try the Beta Patch, if you haven't already (and can find it, I was lucky and got it early on) and see if that helps.  The official patch should be out sometime this week which may help you.

Next, another thing you could try (much more effective in SFC 2 and OP) is to directly run it from the SFC3.exe file.  Instead of using a shortcut, click on that directly.  In addition, if you are having problems, it could be with the movies loading up first, you might want to move the movies out of the directory and save them somewhere and see if that speeds up the loading process or not.

Finally, make sure you have the updated official version of Direct X 9.0 if you are using Direct X 9 (I am not, so this is only heresay, so take it as that), and then, once again, apply the DX9 patch.

Hope something here can help you.

Clark Kent

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2003, 01:50:33 pm »
Thanks for the reply- took me a while to get back to it, though.  Alot of info, hopefully some useful.  I'm sure the patch will be announced in each of the forums here, so I'll get it as soon as I can- which may be a while since I'm on a 56k.
Much info, thank you very much.  
CK

Clark Kent

SFC3 freezes
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2003, 02:43:01 pm »

I got this game back in November, and I have not been able to play it even once.  Everytime I load it it goes through the movies just fine, and then I get a complete freeze after that.  I've tried getting all the latest updates for my system, and my video card, but nothing changes.  Quite frankly I'm starting to get pissed about this.  Does anyone have a clue what is going on with this thing?
I'm running a Compaq 1.2 Ghtz AMD 384Kb onchip memory
384 megs of RAM
Windows ME
NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 420 video card (64meg)

CK

Blitzkrieg

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2003, 02:58:37 pm »

Clark Kent

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2003, 03:32:17 pm »
Quote:

CK

Toasty0

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2003, 03:55:53 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

CK  

Have a good day
« Last Edit: February 08, 2003, 04:01:22 pm by Toasty0 »

Clark Kent

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2003, 09:50:50 pm »
Quote:

Have a good day

Aahh, that's striking a bell.  I did get the driver updates, but the computer was telling me something was wrong after installing them.  Everything is working ok now, but that just might be it.  How do I uninstall the old drivers?
CK

Clark Kent

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2003, 11:25:55 am »
Bump

Clark Kent

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2003, 08:26:00 pm »
Bump again

Dash Jones

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2003, 04:21:40 am »
Well there' s the easy way and the hard way.

the easy way is to d/l the new drivers, and run the install.  They should overwrite any problems you had in the old drivers...that's a should.   This is the easy way.

Then you could try setting up an alternative fo rthe drivers.

Or you could simply uninstall the drivers...to do this however, you will have to revert to the generic Microsoft drivers, and then reinstall.  This would be, obviously the hard way.  If you really have problems uninstalling them, after reverting to the Microsoft generic drivers, you can manually uninstall your drivers by manually deleting them and all records of them, and then doing a complete install...not my first suggestion though.

Another thing to check.  How many CD drives do you have...or DVD drives.  Make sure the CD is in the same drive as you installed it in.  I have had a CD read problem with XP (not ME but who knows, maybe it's similar) which will not read the CD (hence a game freeze of sorts) if the CD is not in the right drive.  Another factor of this, is if the registry has been corrupted, and hence either the CD route is not found, OR, the CDkey is corrupted, in which case, a complete install reinstall might correct the problem, OR, it might not work unless you clean ALL records of SFC from your registry, a task not to be undertaken unless you KNOW what you are doing.

Finally, try the Beta Patch, if you haven't already (and can find it, I was lucky and got it early on) and see if that helps.  The official patch should be out sometime this week which may help you.

Next, another thing you could try (much more effective in SFC 2 and OP) is to directly run it from the SFC3.exe file.  Instead of using a shortcut, click on that directly.  In addition, if you are having problems, it could be with the movies loading up first, you might want to move the movies out of the directory and save them somewhere and see if that speeds up the loading process or not.

Finally, make sure you have the updated official version of Direct X 9.0 if you are using Direct X 9 (I am not, so this is only heresay, so take it as that), and then, once again, apply the DX9 patch.

Hope something here can help you.

Clark Kent

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2003, 01:50:33 pm »
Thanks for the reply- took me a while to get back to it, though.  Alot of info, hopefully some useful.  I'm sure the patch will be announced in each of the forums here, so I'll get it as soon as I can- which may be a while since I'm on a 56k.
Much info, thank you very much.  
CK