Topic: Evil Dave, how about a Doomsday Device Mission?  (Read 3046 times)

IndyShark

Evil Dave, how about a Doomsday Device Mission?
« on: June 18, 2003, 10:47:40 am »
Dave, I know you have a talent for making cool new missions, so I thought (and Firesoul suggested) that I ask you if you'd consider making a mission with the Doomsday device. I've always liked that monster since SFC1, and with you ability to make cool missions, perhaps you could add one to your list of accomplishments.

What do you think?

(PS, tractoring someone into the DD is a blast!)

korus

Re: Evil Dave, how about a Doomsday Device Mission?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 12:39:53 pm »
   I've been bugging Taldren on that for over two years now....    I'd like to see the plasma boulders and sun glider make a come back too... Space monsters would be cool to fight... even pilot one...

Korus

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 06:09:56 pm »
You could always change the Doomsday Machine from 'SPECIAL' to 'MONSTER' in the shiplist and go to multiplayer and play 'Monster'. Then when you type '9999' for the BPV limit, it will show up every time.

Your mileage may vary....

Qapla!

KF
« Last Edit: June 19, 2003, 04:16:18 pm by Klingon Fanatic »

Strafer

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 06:25:18 pm »
Quote:

You could always change the Doomsday Machine from 'SPECIAL' to 'MONSTER' in the shiplist ...

Qapla!

KF  

The Doomsday device can still only be killed by having a non-weapon object shoved down it's throat. Better keep a tractored shuttle handy...

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 04:18:42 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

You could always change the Doomsday Machine from 'SPECIAL' to 'MONSTER' in the shiplist ...

Qapla!

KF  

The Doomsday device can still only be killed by having a non-weapon object shoved down it's throat. Better keep a tractored shuttle handy...  

Not entirely true. If you can keep on the Doomsday Machines rear and keep pounding it, you can beat it. I think this tactic is ridiculous myself. The thing is armored with superdense neutronium armor nothing in TOS/TMP can dent the thing. Hence NO BREAK MODEL!  I doubt even TNG weapons can hurt one either. Anybody read "Juggernaught" a TNG book? Borg vs a Doomsday Machine if I recall correctly (I don't own it so I don't know all the details). Personally, I do hope the next OP patch makes it harder to kill this monster than just shoving a shuttle or having a ship/fighter accidently cross into it and blow it up and destroying the crossing fighter/shuttle/ship in the process too.

Qapla!

KF
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Klingon Fanatic »

Sethan

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 05:37:45 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Qapla!

KF  

Anybody read "Juggernaught" a TNG book? Borg vs a Doomsday Machine if I recall correctly (I don't own it so I don't know all the details).

I think the book you're thinking of is Vendetta - in which we meet the Doomsday Machine's bigger, nastier brother.

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 05:39:29 pm »
It's not a bad novel either, Vendetta. Interesting for the time period in which it was written.

IndyShark

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 05:52:28 pm »
I missed that book, but it sounds interesting. Can you give me a brief overview before I go buy it please?

Strafer

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2003, 06:00:46 pm »
Sure, "How far will you go for revenge?"

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2003, 06:45:43 pm »
Quote:

I think the book you're thinking of is Vendetta - in which we meet the Doomsday Machine's bigger, nastier brother.  

Yes, thank you. I stand corrected. As I said, I never owned the book and it was written WELL BEFORE Species 8472 came out. I would like some more details on the book, if memory serves the Enterprise D and the USS Checkov [class?] was in it.

Anybody besides die-hard SFB fans notice the solo mission against the Doomsday Machine in the basic SFB materials included in the SFB folder in our SFC:OP game? Interesting scenario for sure!

Also I noted somewhere that in some proposed CGI enhancements of TOS episodes "The Doomsday Machine" was at least one of those possibly to be done. I'm not 100% sure on all those details.

My favorite Doomsday Machine encounter outside the TOS episode comes from the FASA TREK RPG mission 'A DOOMSDAY LIKE ANY OTHER'. (1986)

Picture the Romulan/Gorn/Federation border territories called the 'Outback' in the FASA Trek universe (mid-late TMP era).

A wily merchant encounters a derelict planet killer and accidently activates it with a control device he finds while managing to find a way to board the monstrosity. In comes the USS Fife to rescue the Pride o' Rigel owned by the wily merchant. Add a ticking clock, roughly 3 days before the planet-killer comes in range to 'devour' the neutral world of Ectair (with Romulan, Gorn and Fed citizens residing there). Stir in a Kirk defense using a luxury liner (as well as the dilemma on how to 'acquire' the ship with or w/out marines) that may or may not work. Oh yeah, you can't possibly get Federation back up or assistance in time and don't forget to add a squadron of Romulan warships [V-6, V-9,  V-5 and an S-9] nearby ready to claim the planet killer for themselves (if possible).

FASA did a great job on extrapolating on the details present in the TOS episode. Lots of attention was focused on the neutronium armor and the fact that even the Romulan plasma weapons couldn't really hurt the super dense armor. Again SFC no break model is accurate IMHO. Not only that, FASA went to great lengths to detail what would most likely happen at the courtmartial of the USS Fife's senior crew for failing to protect the planet Ectair, its inhabitants and the Federation citizens residing there.

This is a mission I would love to see in  SFC:OP

Qapla!

KF

IndyShark

Evil Dave, how about a Doomsday Device Mission?
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2003, 10:47:40 am »
Dave, I know you have a talent for making cool new missions, so I thought (and Firesoul suggested) that I ask you if you'd consider making a mission with the Doomsday device. I've always liked that monster since SFC1, and with you ability to make cool missions, perhaps you could add one to your list of accomplishments.

What do you think?

(PS, tractoring someone into the DD is a blast!)

korus

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2003, 12:39:53 pm »
   I've been bugging Taldren on that for over two years now....    I'd like to see the plasma boulders and sun glider make a come back too... Space monsters would be cool to fight... even pilot one...

Korus

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2003, 06:09:56 pm »
You could always change the Doomsday Machine from 'SPECIAL' to 'MONSTER' in the shiplist and go to multiplayer and play 'Monster'. Then when you type '9999' for the BPV limit, it will show up every time.

Your mileage may vary....

Qapla!

KF
« Last Edit: June 19, 2003, 04:16:18 pm by Klingon Fanatic »

Strafer

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2003, 06:25:18 pm »
Quote:

Qapla!

KF  

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2003, 04:18:42 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Qapla!

KF  

Not entirely true. If you can keep on the Doomsday Machines rear and keep pounding it, you can beat it. I think this tactic is ridiculous myself. The thing is armored with superdense neutronium armor nothing in TOS/TMP can dent the thing. Hence NO BREAK MODEL!  I doubt even TNG weapons can hurt one either. Anybody read "Juggernaught" a TNG book? Borg vs a Doomsday Machine if I recall correctly (I don't own it so I don't know all the details). Personally, I do hope the next OP patch makes it harder to kill this monster than just shoving a shuttle or having a ship/fighter accidently cross into it and blow it up and destroying the crossing fighter/shuttle/ship in the process too.

Qapla!

KF

Sethan

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2003, 05:37:45 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Qapla!

KF  

Anybody read "Juggernaught" a TNG book? Borg vs a Doomsday Machine if I recall correctly (I don't own it so I don't know all the details).

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2003, 05:39:29 pm »
It's not a bad novel either, Vendetta. Interesting for the time period in which it was written.

IndyShark

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2003, 05:52:28 pm »
I missed that book, but it sounds interesting. Can you give me a brief overview before I go buy it please?

Strafer

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2003, 06:00:46 pm »
Sure, "How far will you go for revenge?"

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2003, 06:45:43 pm »
Quote:

Yes, thank you. I stand corrected. As I said, I never owned the book and it was written WELL BEFORE Species 8472 came out. I would like some more details on the book, if memory serves the Enterprise D and the USS Checkov [class?] was in it.

Anybody besides die-hard SFB fans notice the solo mission against the Doomsday Machine in the basic SFB materials included in the SFB folder in our SFC:OP game? Interesting scenario for sure!

Also I noted somewhere that in some proposed CGI enhancements of TOS episodes "The Doomsday Machine" was at least one of those possibly to be done. I'm not 100% sure on all those details.

My favorite Doomsday Machine encounter outside the TOS episode comes from the FASA TREK RPG mission 'A DOOMSDAY LIKE ANY OTHER'. (1986)

Picture the Romulan/Gorn/Federation border territories called the 'Outback' in the FASA Trek universe (mid-late TMP era).

A wily merchant encounters a derelict planet killer and accidently activates it with a control device he finds while managing to find a way to board the monstrosity. In comes the USS Fife to rescue the Pride o' Rigel owned by the wily merchant. Add a ticking clock, roughly 3 days before the planet-killer comes in range to 'devour' the neutral world of Ectair (with Romulan, Gorn and Fed citizens residing there). Stir in a Kirk defense using a luxury liner (as well as the dilemma on how to 'acquire' the ship with or w/out marines) that may or may not work. Oh yeah, you can't possibly get Federation back up or assistance in time and don't forget to add a squadron of Romulan warships [V-6, V-9,  V-5 and an S-9] nearby ready to claim the planet killer for themselves (if possible).

FASA did a great job on extrapolating on the details present in the TOS episode. Lots of attention was focused on the neutronium armor and the fact that even the Romulan plasma weapons couldn't really hurt the super dense armor. Again SFC no break model is accurate IMHO. Not only that, FASA went to great lengths to detail what would most likely happen at the courtmartial of the USS Fife's senior crew for failing to protect the planet Ectair, its inhabitants and the Federation citizens residing there.

This is a mission I would love to see in  SFC:OP

Qapla!

KF