Topic: "'Starfleet Command' is Serious Strategy", says Startrek.com  (Read 17383 times)

ThirdLeg

Re: "'Starfleet Command' is Serious Strategy", says Startrek.com
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2003, 01:25:24 pm »
/thread off

OK, I hate to take this thread further off topic, but I gotta comment on manuals and boxes real fast. I personally believe that the industry is using the small box excuse as a reason for not having a good manual printed. Of couse, this is completely a bad excuse. Take a look at the retail version of Combat Mission. It came with a 200+ page manual and was very well done. Although the font for a manual in a small box might be small, it can still exist. Mostly I believe that not having a printed manual saves the publisher money. Although I can sympathize with them, I'm not remotely prepared to waste a $45 printer cartridge just to print out a manual. A manual falls under the category of customer support and many customer issues could be solved with a well done manual, especially if it had a FAQ section. You have no idea how many calls my store gets for tech support questions, which technically we're not required to answer. Of course we try to answer them, but it's a shame when the little guy across the counter gets berated by a customer when a good manual would have solved the problem.

/thread on  

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2003, 01:34:26 pm »

Quote:

Personally,I prefer a real manual rather then the "cliff notes" versions we get now in the small boxes.

Game publishers are probably reducing their costs (and hence increasing their profits) more by "skimping out" on the game manuals rather than what they are saving on the boxes.  The box size is more important as an excuse for making the manuals smaller rather than any significant savings in materials costs of the boxes themselves.  The manuals used to be a large part of the shipping weight....not any more.

Publishers should  make more extensive manuals for their games available for download if they are not going to ship them with the game CD's.  That would alieviate many of the concerns of the more serious gamers.

Of course, since the trend in entertainment seems to be toward "dumbing down", this also allows for smaller manuals and hence more money for the publisher.

All of this just means less for the customer.....not a good trend.  

EDIT:  Looks like ThirdLeg beat me by a few seconds.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2003, 01:38:33 pm by Mr. Hypergol »

feargusf

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2003, 07:29:24 pm »
The manuals for all of the SFC games would have fit in one of those small boxes. In fact, the manuals for every Star Trek game that I've bought are small enough for the small boxes.  

Scipio_66

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2003, 08:46:09 pm »
Quote:

As some of you may know, I'm a lowly grunt at a Gamestop store (Software Etc. in this case). SFC1 was delisted from our system about a year and a half ago. SFC2 and OP were both delisted about a month ago. Why you ask? It's not because they weren't selling. It's because they were still shipping in the big boxes and our store is clearing out all of those.  

Blech!  I hate those small boxes.  I want a real manual.  All the best games have real manuals.  I also want a real box with real info on the game (preferably with a front surface that opens to give even more info) so I can get a real idea of what the game is like by picking up the box from the shelf.  

Quote:

I disagree their. I hate those big boxes. Most games usually don't have much for manuals and such anyways, and with all that large space in the box

Another reason I don't buy most games.  

-S'Cipio

Demandred

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2003, 07:08:14 pm »
Quote:

The manuals for all of the SFC games would have fit in one of those small boxes. In fact, the manuals for every Star Trek game that I've bought are small enough for the small boxes.    

You don't have the original ring-bound SFC1 manual then. It's much bigger than a jewel case.

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2003, 07:32:09 pm »
I think he was talking about the small boxes that games are now being packaged in, rather than just the jewel case iteself.  I'll have to find my manuals and see if it will fit in the box that SFC3 came in (it's in really good condition, being protected by sitting for months in the back of a droor somewhere).  I LOVED the SFC1 manual, wish more games could spring for that kind of book, sadly most are moving away from manuals (not that a lot of games need much of one, sadly).

Quote:

I like those large boxes. Bigger pictures, larger manuals, more stuff inside. I feel like I'm getting less for my money with those puny small boxes.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.  

Imagine the surprise when you open a big box to find the small box inside!  That's happened to me several times.  I thought "What the @#)(@#$!"  the whole purpose of the small box is to cut down on packaging costs and to take up less shelf space, what kind of sense does it make to put the small box in the big one?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by EmeraldEdge »

Maxillius

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2003, 11:52:22 pm »
I miss my SFC1 manual.  I gave it away like a retard though  It had so much more information on the different races than the other SFC game manuals do.

TheSatyr

« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2003, 02:48:28 am »
The Combat Mission manuals were a trip...I've seen smaller novels...*LOL*

Tremok

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2003, 08:06:44 am »
Quote:

Reading this, I tried. It wasn't even close. The SFC1 and SFC2 manuals are much too wide to fit in the boxes.

The Klingon Academy manual (the best manual I ever owned) was bigger than the box itself.

The Mechcommander and Homeworld: Cataclysm manuals (both excellent) could in no possible way fit into a small box short of burning them into ashes.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Tremok »

Mike H

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2003, 04:43:17 pm »
Quote:

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/gaming/news/article/1559.html

Quote:

REVIEW: "Starfleet Command" is Serious Strategy

Heh!!  Yes, and later this week, they will be posting a shocking revelation that the Earth is actually ROUND !!!!  

Fahrenheit

« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2003, 05:37:59 pm »
Smaller boxes mean that retail stores can stock more games on the shelves.

They mean that you can ship more in a single case.

They mean that you save money on packaging.  I mean, how many times have you opened a big box only to find it full of cardboard, a 16-page "manual", a registration card, some ads for the publisher's other products, and a jewel case with a CD?

I like the small boxes.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." -- Alan Simpson

ThirdLeg

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2003, 06:44:20 pm »
To a major extent I agree with you Farenheit. The small boxes mean we (retailers) no longer have to pull our hair out in frustration during the holiday season. We can fit roughly 3.33 times more boxes on the shelf (or roughly 33 small boxes for every 10 big boxes), which helps out alot with backstocking. Personally, I feel the new, uniformly sized boxes also lend to a more attractive appearance as well. As I said before, publishers citing the small boxes on lack of a comprehensive manual is bogus.  

feargusf

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2003, 06:53:16 pm »
That's weird. I'll admit that I haven't bought a small-box game since SFC3, but I was going by the width of the manual compared to the width of the jewel-case. They must be putting the jewel-cases in them the thinner way. Goes to show what happens when you post an assumption  

Jwest

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2003, 06:18:49 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/gaming/news/article/1559.html

Quote:

REVIEW: "Starfleet Command" is Serious Strategy

Heh!!  Yes, and later this week, they will be posting a shocking revelation that the Earth is actually ROUND !!!!  

LIes - Lies I say - the earth is flat, I've seen it from space, flat as a plate. It's all plasma and mirrors -
Jwest, Charter member of the Flat Earth Society, Off-World Branch