Topic: The TRUTH about TALDREN and SFC3  (Read 22204 times)

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
Re: The TRUTH about TALDREN and SFC3
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2005, 12:42:30 am »
That would be a Non-Disclosure Agreement...which means...he knows...but if he says anything he can be...taken to the proverbial Cleaners.

No ...not at all....we are free to tell you anything you wish to know... ;)

Of course the contract then requires us to hunt you down and terminate you with extreme prejudice... ;D

Most of what went on is no big secret.....as a member of both groups I can attest to the fact that...

....most of the time...both groups were not event testing the same version...

...ACTI's QA system seemed in my opinion to be disfunctional and actually retarded efforts somewhat......

...Most of the Visioneers were not given proper backround information on the series.....and spent a lot of time trying to figure out where the Taldrenites were comming from in a variety of issues...and sometimes those issues were simply declared moot or not applicable to the new game....

...The unstated..but clear desire to part with the previous ruleset as "out dated" ruled out many clearly valid substutes to enhance tactical enjoyment ,variations, and subtleties...

....it took FOREVER and a week to drag the weapons info out of them just to do basic checks for damage bugs etc...

...License restriction was often used as a feature request nuke....even when the request was shown to be TNG based...

...Time or the lack there of was most often used...and it became clear at some point (sooner than you'd think) that the game was feature frozen....

I think the testers did a stellar job what what they had to work with...

And remember this one simple fact....just because something wasnt fixed.....doesnt mean that the testers missed it...

I also think some of the problems stemmed from a basic difference in operation....Taldren was used to having free riegn over issuing patches....and the teams desire to allways make an effort to get fixes out in a timely manner meant many small patches...and that is in direct conflict with ACTI's proven track record....

It wasnt that Taldren didnt want to do more...at one point they were pretty much forbidden to( after having to leak a patch)....and at the other...they didnt have the resources to devote to it anymore....and at that point...the lawsuit with Paramount was fresh.....no one knew what was going to happen with license...

Pity is....SFC3 had hell of a lot of community requests directly in the game(fleeting, option mounts, hidden cloak)....and they tried like hell to make stuff modable....but the stuff you can mod doesnt make up for the stuff you cant....and thus....alot of us still cling to Orion Pirates for gameplay.....it simply has more depth...

We can only hope to fetch it out of the dumpster if and when ACTI pulls the plug... :)

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2005, 01:17:43 am »
Actually, it was Taldren who was holding back information.  They did this because they said they were so tired of all the rules lawyers and stuff, that they didn't want to release numbers and hear all the whining again.  It wasn't ATVI.  Even after Erik said that the numbers would be released, it took forever.  I shot an e-mail off to him at one point, about a variety of issues, and in his response he seemed unaware that they had not been released and said he made a promises to do some talking to some folks and get them released.  Not long after that they appeared.  I believe that Taldren is more to blame that a lot of the fans would ever care to admit.  That is not to say that ATVI isn't to blame, they surely didn't allow Taldren to go about it's normal peicemeal patching process.  I believe that they didn't really know what to do with the Trek franchise (and especially SFC) and just ended up releases a bunch of barely average games (if that), but from what I saw and read there was plenty of fault on both sides, and a lot of the Taldren folks (or at least those in charge of getting them out there) didn't want to release any info on the inner workings of the game. 

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2005, 01:27:32 pm »
I wasnt trying to imply that Taldren was faultless.....only that many of the problems were as much a result of the proccess used, as they were about decisions made.... ;)

Offline FVA_C_ Blade_ XC

• Forum Czar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Yep,I did it.
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2005, 01:44:27 pm »
Yawn,

Who dug up this old mess from the old Taldren forums?
FVA_C_Blade_XC
XenoCorp Fleet Operations
www.xenocorp.net
ISC Race Moderator
Visioneer
S.S.Blade

See Wade,See Wade post like an arse,See Wade get banned.
Dont be a Wade!