Topic: I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Part Two  (Read 17189 times)

Cleeve

Re: I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Part Two
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2003, 02:52:43 pm »
I am touched by your story sir.

Authentic or not, I've bought it. Drop me a line by e-mail and I will give you my CD-Key. (soulwolf@escape.ca)

I'm so damn busy lately I don't really have time to play SFC3 anymore, so someone might as well get some enjoyment out of it...

« Last Edit: February 10, 2003, 02:55:04 pm by Cleeve »

cherokee158

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2003, 03:18:32 pm »
A most noble offer! It is refreshing to see that the entire human race has not been assimilated. As tempting as your offer is, I must decline...I would be forever tormented by the thought that you may someday wish to play again, and would not wish to unwittingly implicate you in some obscure shrinkwrap license violation. I WILL be contacting you by e-mail, however, not to accept your generosity, but simply to meet the man who was kind enough to offer.  Thank you.  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2003, 03:34:02 pm »
I purchased SFC3 as soon as it was available in my area
I played my copy of SFC3 for three days. That was it.

I have not returned to it since (been a few months now...)
I'm quite sure I will not be using my copy. I could send you
my CD key and you need not fear that I will want to use it.

101 uses for SFC3......

Just let me know.  

dgray

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2003, 05:19:46 pm »
I have the game but have no intension of playing it online, I only have a diap up modem and I dont use the internet enough to warrent broadband (which is heavily overpriced and overated in the uk) so you can have my cd key, although i'm not sure if it would work on a US version

LongTooth

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2003, 07:56:30 pm »
Quote:

101 uses for SFC3......

Just let me know.    

Careful my fellow kzin they ban for less here

David Ferrell

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2003, 08:36:13 pm »
Quote:

101 uses for SFC3......

Just let me know.    

Wow, one or two of them are actually funny (and I think they both came from Nuclear Wessels).
Just shows most bashers can't string a sentence together, let alone make a joke.

Thanks,

Dave  

ChrsLWlstr

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2003, 08:48:07 pm »
Quote:

Wow, one or two of them are actually funny (and I think they both came from Nuclear Wessels).
Just shows most bashers can't string a sentence together, let alone make a joke.

Thanks,

Dave    

Wow... Never expected to hear that one...  

<I sense huge mistake by administrator!>

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by ChrsLWlstr »

3dot14

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2003, 08:58:02 pm »
Quote:

Thanks,

Dave    

In view of recent posts, may I humbly suggest you take some time off, Dave?
Go visit a park or something, relax... and let the moderators handle this for a while.

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2003, 07:26:47 am »
Quote:

Careful my fellow kzin they ban for less here

Nope, not banned...! (Thanks for the heads up though LongTooth.)

Dear Dave,

I was only trying to be nice to this fellow who lost his
CD case. Since I am not using my copy I thought I might
give him mine. (Though the offer was not accepted...)

Note that I did not say any bad things about Taldren
or Activision at all. In fact, you may want to head over
to the  Taldren Appreciation Thread to see what I had to say.

Sorry, I didn't think that post above would get to you, it really
shouldn't. Please do not insult my language abilities.
I do not recall insulting you personally. (Are you posting
as Azreal, too?  I have noticed something in reading post's. )

I double checked my grammar on the "101 uses" thread and
it seems relatively good. I do tend to write long
complicated sentences sometimes, but I have been
working on simplifying my writing style.

I am only trying to be helpful here, you will notice
that I have resumed helping people get on to the D3.
I could stop helping those people if you like? I helped one get on
recently; little help plz or  OP D2 Router/WinXP Help Needed: Firewall Error  (D2).
Or perhaps I should stop working to improve
the D2 environment? ( The Wheel - Status )
I do not intend to stop doing either, I am just trying to point
out my positive contributions to the community in contrast
to the odd whine.

I feel I have been relatively well behaved since the new
forums were started and I have been trying to maintain that spirit.
Note my participation here:  Taldren Community Columbia Register

Maybe you should take a bit of a break Dave, I know everbody
at Taldren works very hard - it shows. Perhaps you've been
working a little too hard. I know myself, when I get too emotionally
involved in my work it is good to take a step back, let it be for a while,
and listen to what others have to say a little more closely. Other
times it is best just to get away for a good rest.

There is an old saying: "If you don't like the war, turn it off..."

Sincerely,
rajnsaj

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by rajnsaj »

LongTooth

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2003, 08:23:44 am »
Quote:

Quote:

101 uses for SFC3......

Just let me know.    

Thanks,

Dave    

Give them time dave their not up to 101 yet
Ill be honest with you dave I like D3 more than D2 I like the chat better and fleeting up is better (still needs a few more missions tho)
And I love the cloak
SFC2 is (imho) taldrens greatest work to date SFC3 can get up there with it it just needs time and care
A lot of people forget just what you have done for SFC2 if it was not for you it would not be as good as it is
(I might not all ways agree with you or taldren but I do thank you and taldren for all the time and effort you have put in to a
game series that I love )SFC is more than a game its an addiction

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2003, 09:13:09 am »
Please note that I realize just what Taldren has done,
and continues to do for us, and in no way do I want to
endanger that.  Something to consider

The thread linked there ( Taldren: WON Directory Server is down!!! )
is important to me and the response given is very generous.
I understand that Taldren has no real obligation to continue
to support the D2 but continues to do so.

I am sorry that I voiced my disappointment in SFC3 in this way.
I guess we went a little too far. It is recognised that you have
been on edge lately and I should have been more considerate
and taken that into consideration. I have said my piece on SFC3
on the old forums and I should have left it at that, and do consider
myself lucky that what I said there has not gotten me banned.  

I should stick to discussing things like the structure of the
blobs in the SQL database or how to eventually replace the
distributed network architecture of the the WON logon.

I just got a call that might make all this a rather moot point
for me. My landlord is going to sell the house (I have a great deal here)
and if I have to move, with the rents here, I may not be able to afford the
internet any longer (considering it's price too...)

Wow, talk about Karma man. "The world is round", "Time wounds all heels" all that...

I'm waiting for the lighting bolt to come next...  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by rajnsaj »

Blitzkrieg

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2003, 09:54:41 am »
I think some people just need to cut these guys a bit of slack, there has been an abunadance of critcism over the past few months. It gets to a certain stage when people doing the criticising have to also step back and maybe consider if they are being totaly reasonable. How many more times do people need to make the same points, I think we all are aware of the games major problems, most will be fixed in the patch that Taldren have already made.

Too many personal insults have been made, and far too many generalizations.

As for the CD key, well too bad I take care of all of my manuals (thats where all my cd keys are for some reason), they stay in the box, with the cd, in a dvd rack. If you buy a MD player, and lose the remote (for some this is the only control mechanism) then do you expect a free one back from the company? This analagy isnt perfect but I felt like I needed one.

When you buy a game you buy one liscense which is contained within a code. This is done so that people can copy the CD as many times as they like, but its going to be harder to make 100% useful copies, this is thanks to numerous warez sites and people who make copies not only for there friends but for everybody on there block (for a price of course) at the expense of publishers AND developers.

I mean OH MY F'IN GOD you have a CD which is pretty much impossible to break without using extream force, and a single line worth of security code. You pay $50 or £35 for this, you would think you would take better care of it. If not then its not the publishers fault, they are under no obligation to give you another liscense.

Big   for giving your CD key away, however, big   for constantly dissing (whoever they may be, no names mentioned).

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2003, 06:13:24 pm »
Quote:

...big   for constantly dissing (whoever they may be, no names mentioned).  

I am clearly not "constantly dissing" anybody.
Please read the above more carefully.
Perhaps the "odd whine" but certainly not
"constantly dissing".

Please acknowledge this correction.

Blitzkrieg

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2003, 06:35:39 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

...big   for constantly dissing (whoever they may be, no names mentioned).  

I am clearly not "constantly dissing" anybody.
Please read the above more carefully.
Perhaps the "odd whine" but certainly not
"constantly dissing".

Please acknowledge this correction.

Erm I clearly state no names mentioned, this is because I had no one in mind when I wrote this. Please note this correction  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2003, 11:50:17 pm »
Thank you Blitzkrieg.

I just wanted to be sure that wasn't directed at me.
Sorry If I jumped.  

cherokee158

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2003, 10:09:52 am »
        I agree with Blitzkrieg that we should all weigh our words carefully when commenting on Taldren's product. And I sympathize for the developers, who care enough about what their customers think to provide a place for use to voice our opinions, and to wade through a lot of abuse on these forums in search of feedback.  

But I feel quite entitled to complain about a company(Activision) that treats me as if I am less than human. And by human, I mean someone who sometimes loses things. Someone who thinks something as immaterial as a twenty cent jewel case with a numbered sticker on it should be easily replaceable. Someone who prefers to talk to people long-distance, rather than play twenty questions with a machine.

I am most impressed that some extraordinary people here clearly do not suffer from these human weaknesses.  (although I am concerned that they find it difficult to break a flimsy plastic jewel case without considerable effort. Perhaps a few push-ups?)

And I understand perfectly well that game companies struggle against software piracy, and are constantly striving to protect their profits. I also know that the movie and music industry has been forced to come to terms with the same thing. And, despite their constant laments of lost profits, both Bill Gates and Mike Eisner seem quite comfortable to me.

The fact is, most people are genuinely honest. (and, of the remaining dishonest people, the vast majority prefer to avoid criminal charges) And most people are willing to pay for reasonably priced entertainment, especially if they have confidence that their money is going to the entertainers they love. It's quicker, easier, free of guilt and the money goes to make more entertainment.

It is only companies that abuse their consumers by overcharging them, releasing sub-standard products and providing lacklustre customer service that need fear piracy. In my youth, I did not know a single person who did not own a bootleg cassette tape of some band or another. And yet, somehow, the music industry survived...if you can call mansions in LA surviving.

Even with all of this dreaded piracy, computer and console game companies outgrossed movie makers last year. So you will forgive me if I fail to see the peril inherent in making life for the honest user just a little bit easier by helping a paying customer revive his product by issuing a replacement number, or placing an additional sticker on the CD, or simply foregoing the CD key altogether. (After all, it is already a criminal offense to use a no-CD crack under the DMCA. What further copy protection do you need? Isn't it enough that people guilty of a fifty-dollar theft can be convicted of a felony?)

It is my belief that software companies have let the fear of piracy erode the value of their product by making it so user-unfriendly that many of us no longer feel it is even worth paying for. (witness the latest batch of copy-protected audio CD's that won't play at all on many players) Since I am generally an honest person, I have simply chosen to stop buying games from Activision. (For this and other reasons...I have not been impressed by their prior releases, either) I have also chosen to say so in a public forum, which is my right. (for another few years, anyway) I believe my comments are constructive, in that I have identified a problem and suggested several possible solutions. I have voiced them here in hopes that the powersthat be may actually notice, and reconsider their self-destructive policy of treating all customers as if they are potential criminals.

And if someone out there thinks I am a moron for losing my jewel case, well...I look forward to the day it happensto them.

Promise I won't laugh.

Ex Malterra

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2003, 11:06:53 am »
i hope you find your jewel case.  

Aliasalpha

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2003, 02:48:30 pm »
Quote:

So you will forgive me if I fail to see the peril inherent in making life for the honest user just a little bit easier by helping a paying customer revive his product by issuing a replacement number, or placing an additional sticker on the CD, or simply foregoing the CD key altogether. (After all, it is already a criminal offense to use a no-CD crack under the DMCA. What further copy protection do you need? Isn't it enough that people guilty of a fifty-dollar theft can be convicted of a felony?)

There are still some games that don't have a CD Key, ironically one involving activision (Jedi Knight II). I share the frustration with crappy support, the play CD for my copy of Neverwinter Nights has a whacking great crack in it (so big that I'm beginning to doubt the integrity of the disc). This was an acknowledged problem & the replacement CD was free, I contacted customer support & got a referral to the australian support people & sent them an e-mail. Several months later & I'm STILL waiting for an answer (Well, I'm not waiting but you know...). Now I'm forced to use a crack to circumvent a crack...

Microsoft's tech support is still the worst. I once wanted to ask a simple question about win95 (about networking I think). After playing button bash for 5 minutes struggling through their sh*tty phone menus I wait on hold (long distance hold at that) for 15 minutes. I FINALLY get onto a human operator who'd have to take a postgraduate course to be called a moron & then he has the hide to say he was gonna charge me 40 freakin dollars (about 20-25 $US) just to ask one simple question!