Topic: SETI Thread Part III  (Read 188120 times)

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Re: SETI Thread Part III
« Reply #880 on: June 10, 2005, 09:22:11 pm »
on wards and up wards!  :)  #9  ;D

Link: ht

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #881 on: June 13, 2005, 05:12:16 pm »
http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/tech_news.php

News about the future of classic and BOINC.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #882 on: June 18, 2005, 09:04:55 pm »

Of course you know what happened.  They did a renumbering and I went to 4593.  But I WILL be back. 

:)

:ufo:                  :ufo:                   :ufo:               I be stubborn.                  :ufo:                  :ufo:                  :ufo:

I'm back.

Name (and URL)    IKV Nemesis
Results Received    35262
Your rank out of 5435727 total users is:    4500th place.
You have completed more work units than    99.917% of our users.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #883 on: June 19, 2005, 07:16:52 am »
Congrats Again!  :)  How far down did they bump you?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #884 on: June 19, 2005, 07:40:17 am »

4499 - 4593.

Now to see if they do it again.  Otherwise onward to 4000!!
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #885 on: June 21, 2005, 06:52:21 pm »

Bumped down yet again.  This time to 4523 so it shouldn't take me too long to get back.  I was down to 4483 when I uploaded yesterday.  Todays upload has taken me back to 4518 already.  Next time should be enough to keep me there.  Then onwards to 4000. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #886 on: June 23, 2005, 06:35:40 pm »
Congrats Again!  :)

Back again. 

Your rank out of 5436301 total users is:    4494th place.

This time to stay I think.  Now onward to the top 4000 (and being bounced out of it a few times :) )

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #887 on: June 24, 2005, 06:35:47 pm »
Back again. 

Your rank out of 5436301 total users is:    4494th place.

This time to stay I think.  Now onward to the top 4000 (and being bounced out of it a few times :) )

Out again (4512).  I swear they must be watching to recalculate everytime I post that I'm into the top 4500.  I have already moved back to 4503 and should be back again early in the morning THEN they should not be able to bounce me again. 

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #888 on: June 26, 2005, 05:35:11 pm »
Out again (4512).  I swear they must be watching to recalculate everytime I post that I'm into the top 4500.  I have already moved back to 4503 and should be back again early in the morning THEN they should not be able to bounce me again. 

I'm back in and they renumbered already and I'm still in so I guess it is permanent.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #889 on: July 22, 2005, 09:24:38 am »

I'm back in and they renumbered already and I'm still in so I guess it is permanent.

Well, with BOINC soaking up all of the time and resources, They haven't done a recalc or updated the class lists since 7/4.  It certainly makes it easier when they don't keep bouncing you down the list.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #890 on: July 22, 2005, 04:28:30 pm »
Well, wouldn't you know it.  They are doing an update of the class pages and a recalc of everybodies position as I type this.  :o

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #891 on: August 27, 2005, 05:34:35 am »
In a small note,  today I have made it inside of 20K for the first time. :)

The Postman   
Results Received  13440
Total CPU Time  7.530 years 
Average CPU Time per work unit  4 hr 54 min 29.3 sec 
Average results received per day  13.92 
Last result returned: Sat Aug 27 09:11:21 2005 UTC
Registered on: Sat Jan 4 22:34:07 2003 UTC
SETI@home user for: 2.645 years
Your group info:
You belong to the group named:  Taldren

Your rank: (based on current workunits received)

Your rank out of 5436301 total users is:  19990th place. 
The number of users who have this rank:  4 
You have completed more work units than  99.632% of our users. 

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #892 on: October 23, 2005, 08:38:27 am »
In case somebody on the classic team hasn't heard this yet:

October 10, 2005 - 23:30 UTC
Last week we finished the first phase of the science "migration." What this means is that all of the scientific results from SETI@home classic have been migrated over to the BOINC science database. There is a bit of cleanup work to be done, but the next big phase is merging these data with BOINC data. We will soon be able to shut down the classic master science database, which is currently running on the same server as the BOINC scheduler.

All of you are more than welcome to join the rest of the Taldren team on BOINC when classic does actually end. We hope you will join us there! :)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #893 on: October 23, 2005, 01:27:18 pm »
In case somebody on the classic team hasn't heard this yet:

October 10, 2005 - 23:30 UTC
Last week we finished the first phase of the science "migration." What this means is that all of the scientific results from SETI@home classic have been migrated over to the BOINC science database. There is a bit of cleanup work to be done, but the next big phase is merging these data with BOINC data. We will soon be able to shut down the classic master science database, which is currently running on the same server as the BOINC scheduler.

All of you are more than welcome to join the rest of the Taldren team on BOINC when classic does actually end. We hope you will join us there! :)

Where did they post that?

Myself I plan to stay with SETI 1 until either the end or 50,000 WUs whichever comes first, then decide what to do about BOINC or an alternate project.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #894 on: October 23, 2005, 02:01:42 pm »
Where did they post that?

The general feeling is that classic has just weeks, not months, to go before total shut down. Part of the requirement was that a new 5.x GUI be finished and that the new Science app come out of beta. Both conditions have been met. The net result will be that Astropulse will become active, the curent WU's will be reissued and examined in much greater detail (2x - 3x longer crunch times)and the new arrays will start feeding data tapes for parts of the sky never seen before in SETI.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #895 on: October 23, 2005, 06:08:00 pm »

The general feeling is that classic has just weeks, not months, to go before total shut down. Part of the requirement was that a new 5.x GUI be finished and that the new Science app come out of beta. Both conditions have been met. The net result will be that Astropulse will become active, the curent WU's will be reissued and examined in much greater detail (2x - 3x longer crunch times)and the new arrays will start feeding data tapes for parts of the sky never seen before in SETI.

I would have thought that important enough to put on the main page as an announcement. 

As I said earlier I plan to stay with SETI 1 until either the end or 50,000 WUs whichever comes first, then decide what to do about BOINC or an alternate project.

Meanwhile I have reached a landmark.

Your credit:
Name (and URL)    IKV Nemesis
Results Received    40000
Total CPU Time    15.608 years
Average CPU Time per work unit    3 hr 25 min 05.4 sec
Average results received per day    29.14
Last result returned:   Sun Oct 23 23:03:05 2005 UTC
Registered on:   Sun Jan 20 04:23:27 2002 UTC

SETI@home user for:   3.761 years
You belong to the group named:    Taldren

Your rank: (based on current workunits received)
Your rank out of 5436301 total users is:    4176th place.
The number of users who have this rank:    7
You have completed more work units than    99.923% of our users.

Looks like a few people chose 40,000 WUs as a stopping point. 

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #896 on: October 23, 2005, 07:31:39 pm »
I too plan to keep crunching until they pull the plug. I am going to retake the number 2 spot in my class list and just MAYBE get to the golden WU. Any idea where that is these days? I am guessing it is somewhere between 16K and 18K.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #897 on: October 23, 2005, 07:36:53 pm »
I too plan to keep crunching until they pull the plug. I am going to retake the number 2 spot in my class list and just MAYBE get to the golden WU. Any idea where that is these days? I am guessing it is somewhere between 16K and 18K.

Here is a link to Stan Popes page.

The current Golden WU is 16044.6 and advancing by 3.97 WUs per day.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #898 on: November 07, 2005, 05:19:44 pm »
 Subject: re: classic coming to an end... Message 1 of 2   
  Posted by Matt Lebofsky   on Nov 7, 2005 at 10:24   

Regarding posts about the "December 15" shutdown date. Sorry I didn't post that
over here - bear in mind that nothing is really official until it makes it to
the news on the front page (or technical news). Though we really really really
want to stick to this schedule, it may slip a week or two. Anyway, expect a
mass e-mail soon, funny warnings from your classic clients, a note on the classic
home page, etc.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #899 on: November 07, 2005, 06:46:07 pm »
Matt Lebofsky
Project developer

ID: 122079
Credit: 35,398
RAC: 22
Message 186528 - Posted 7 Nov 2005 1:48:42 UTC

December 15th is the current target date. Have a big outage soon for a big step in the master migration database, and then when we're back up start sending out the mass e-mail saying it's time to start moving over.

- Matt

Big outage: master migration (merging old SETI@home classic science database with BOINC). Everything needs to stop for this to happen, and may take 24-76 hours. Don't want new users coming over to BOINC and finding it down for several days. Of course we'll post news items about this when we have a better idea when this will happen.

Remember this is only the current planned cutoff date, and may slip a week or two, but we're really trying to stick to this one.

- Matt

Actually, we might be able to get by without an outage - we're working that out now. You can see why I don't post things to the front page until we are a lot more certain about events/dates/times...

- Matt