Topic: Warped Zone Mod Release 1 is completed!  (Read 3796 times)

CommanderPlat

Warped Zone Mod Release 1 is completed!
« on: October 19, 2003, 01:55:53 am »
Hello all,

I started working on an sfc3 mod a few months back and I am about to release it. Now all that remains is I got to see if Gamespy will host it and I may list it on SFU if they don?t mind. When it becomes available for download I will post the location in case anyone cares to try it.

Mod features:
15 extra ship models included.
Still based on the original Races.
Some or all AI have been enhanced. Added legendary and expert crew to most AI.
Star bases and defense platforms have legendary crew. Base and planetary Assault missions are significantly harder.
Star bases have superior shields over normal ships.
Each race has it's own battle ship.
Battle ships have their own type of warp core and they have base shields ( except Borg ).
The Borg have an additional battle ship which is the only ship with base weapons, and is the strongest ship.
There is an extra single player map available. Goto the list all campaigns section.
All ships have been made harder to destroy. Shields take more direct hits and armor is more absorbent.
All ships have been balanced on how much haul damage they can take.
Certain weapons have also been increased in damage but not all.
Sub-systems and Officers are easier to disable or kill. Side effect of increased AI and also due to more powerful weapons.
Certain Romulan ships have been given extra weapons to make them equal to ships of the same size.
Anti-matter Mine layers  cost much more and do greater damage (mine layers pay for the ability to kill ).
Base shields and battle ship warp cores are available for refit now, They will not fit on normal ships.
Warp cores survive more damage. ( this Mod  is for  the un-patched version of sfc3 )
Impulse engines and thrusters have been increased in output for heavy class ships.
Cloak is allot harder to detect but unfortunately not hard enough for a probe....
Pirate, Rakellians and Ferengi have been enhanced.
Freighters have better sheilds and armor and thus are much harder to kill.
Weapons and shield properties of each race are different, some races have really strong secondary weapons while others have really strong primary weapons. Each race has an ability that allows it an edge in certain types of missions.

Credits and info are in the Mod. I hope this is not my last release as I can see a few more thing that I thing would enhance the game. I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions! If you wish to leave a negative comment please at least let me know how you would make it better so I might try to correct it in my next release. Even bad reviews can have positive effects.

CommanderPlat

Re: Warped Zone Mod Release 1 is completed!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 01:14:48 pm »
Thanks to gamespy my Mod is now hosted:

It is 42.4mb in size, if anyone cares to look it over they should be able to get it  here!
I also posted it on Starfleet Universe but for some reason I was unable to upload the file to them, probably my connnection.

Later!

CommanderPlat

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 07:37:18 am »
Umm, I was unaware the gamespy added spyware to my mod file, it is soo hard to find a good host for free!    

I am not sure this is true now that I have looked the file over closer, if anyone who has downloaded this file has had spyware problems as a result please let me know! This could have been reported as an error. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 09:01:08 am by CommanderPlat »

CommanderPlat

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 08:34:27 pm »
Hello again everyone,

It is now official, I have found my first bug in the new Mod. If people report things I will do my best to post the fix here on this thread as soon as possible and then post a reply.

The bug found was an overly obvious bug, an invalid ship. The Rakellian Attack frigate has an invalid setup, it was the last ship I was working on in the configuration and I must not have saved when I closed the excel worksheet?.. I believe I pasted one of the heavier ships over this ship and then changed it?s setup but why I didn?t save it is a mystery. I guess I was way ahead of myself in releasing the mod before running at least 1 mission with the Rakellians.

Anyhow right-click defaultloadout.txt and select save target as to get the updated configuration and replace the one that was included in the mod. The file will be located where you installed the mod at under the \assets\specs\ directory. If you need more help with this email me at  gs312082003@yahoo.com .

If you know a little about how to change the configuration just set the warp core and shields to level II and the impulse and thrusters to level I and that will successfully bring everything back to the normal loadout. You can even cut and paste the section below and replace the current systems aboard that particular ship to fix it, then instead of being an idiot like me, save the file!

F-WARP-II:1   F-THRUSTER-I:2   F-IMPULSE-I:3   F-SHIELD-II:1   F-SHIELD-II:2   F-SHIELD-II:3   F-SHIELD-II:4

Don?t worry about this messing up your compatibility with the D3 server or other players that use the mod, I don?t think the game checks the defaultloadout.txt as much as it does other configuration files. However this does greatly effect some missions! When you show up to defend someone who isn?t being attacked you will understand what I mean.

That?s all I can do for this issue, let me know if further problems or errors occur.

{EDIT}: I have recently released version 1.1 that takes care of this issue and adds the ability to return to the normal game configuration. For those of you who have release  1 the above fix will bring you up to date without the need to download again.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 01:46:32 pm by CommanderPlat »

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 10:04:11 am »
Any chance you can break this down into smaller chunks? E.g., Klingon, Romulan, Fed, Missions, etc.  It will get more folks to try your mod. Many 56 kers can't sepnd 80+ hours d/l a 200MB + mod.

Qapla!

KF

CommanderPlat

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 04:06:40 pm »
I will be updateing the 40MB file with a few fixes soon and I am wondering if around four 10MB files would be good for the dialup users??? Let me know, Thanks!

Chris Jones

SFC3 Files?
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 07:49:05 pm »
Hey Commander!

You want this hosted on SFC3 Files?

I am downloading this to look at the readme..

I need complete install instructions and credits

If you want it on there I can get it there. I would ask that you support it should any comments or questions arise. Knowing the Files Network, there will be questions, lol.

(Edit) - I have the mod and like the readme - thanks for the mention.
Let me know if you want it on there.

Chris

« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 08:54:09 pm by Chris Jones »

CommanderPlat

Re: SFC3 Files?
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 11:17:05 am »
Hey Chris,

I just recently sent Gamespy my new release to replace the first one. New release 1.1 will fix a few bugs and add a way for people to go back to the original game configuration. I also have release 1.1 on four 10mb files which I have not gotten hosted yet, you think it would be a good idea to send them both the main extractor and the four little extractors to sfc3files?

My hope is to have all of these available for download within the next week.    

Chris Jones

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2003, 11:26:31 am »
No prob .

I'll watch for the downloads and put them all on SFC3 Files for you..

CommanderPlat

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 12:12:12 am »
Hi all,

I tried to get the four part download hosted on gamespy, unfortunatly I have had to find other methods of hosting them. So there have been some delays in getting the smaller files for WZM hosted. I believe Chris will have them posted on sfc3files sometime soon, hope that helps the Dialup users out a bit. When the files become available I will let everyone know.

If anyone didn't already know, this mod does not support the SFC3 patches. I hope the official patch will be out soon and then I may convert over, but until that time I am staying with the original game.

Because I usually set my server config pretty hard and also because I can't host a very good D3 server on my connection, I plan to release my server configuration and help out anyone that might want to run their own version of D3 server for this mod.

As always comments and input are welcome, later!    

CommanderPlat

Smaller Download Files
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2003, 10:17:20 am »
Hello again!

This is probably my last post regarding this Mod unless someone finds a configuration bug. The four smaller files that Klingon Fanatic suggested I post are now available on sfc3files thanks to Chris Jones. I appreciate your help as always Chris. I would also like the thank the people that maintain sfc3files, great site.

Instructions on installing the smaller parts are simple, extract them all to the sfc3 directory, or a directory you choose. All 4 parts are required for the mod to be fully functional. The first three parts are mainly included ship models, the forth has the last few models and the configuration. Trust me when I say my next mod will be allot bigger!

This mod is not made for the sfc3 patch, so make sure you don't install the mod on a patched game.

SFC3WZM.EXE Smaller files:

Part 1 of 4
 Part 2 of 4
 Part 3 of 4
 Part 4 of 4

SFC3WZM.EXE Single file:

SFC3WZM.EXE

Hope someone enjoys it, I enjoyed creating it.  

CommanderPlat

Re:WZM D3 Server
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2003, 11:36:01 am »
Hi everyone,

As I said in an earlier post, if anyone wanted to run their own D3 server based on this mod they are welcome to use the config and the map in anyway they choose. You would be able to make your own server's custom settings based on this mod and add your own map if you have one. My hope is that an open release Mod that everyone can use and host themselves would bring some people back into the older 1.00 campaigns. I am well aware this is a small mod with few thrills, but it is the perfect size for many dialup users.

Anyhow you can grab the WZM server compatibility config  here. You will need to install the server kit first. If anyone needs any help on setting up let me know!

Take it or leave it.    
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 12:00:40 pm by CommanderPlat »

CommanderPlat

Re:WZM D3 Server
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2003, 11:39:37 pm »
Hello again,

Unknown to me a few of the links I posted here have either expired or required a password.

If you downloaded release 1.0 of this mod then you can get the fixed config file  here! Just right click and select save target as to replace the original config file in your sfc3\specs\ directory.

If you wish to run a D3 server based on this mod, download WZMServer.exe. You will need to have the unpatched D3 server kit installed first, then simply extract this into the server kit's directory. This only makes the server kit compatible with the mod and doesn't change the map or configuration. Don't be alarmed at this being an exe file as it is just a winzip self-extractor.

Sorry for the mistakes, hope yall know I am only human!