Topic: Famous ships??  (Read 31625 times)

Re: Famous ships??
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2003, 03:05:42 pm »
Quote:

USS Niagara. Ok now, how many of you out there know what the significance of this ship is?  

Gonna take a stab here...

Was that Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry's flagship in the Battle of Lake Champlain?

TB613

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2003, 03:34:38 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

USS Niagara. Ok now, how many of you out there know what the significance of this ship is?  

Gonna take a stab here...

Was that Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry's flagship in the Battle of Lake Champlain?  

Ding, ding, we have a winner. While they were having an arms race worthy of the early twentieth century battleship race on Lake Ontario building bigger and bigger ships including laying down a 130(!) gunner. Perry and his British conterpart Robert Heriot Barclay came to grips and fought one of the most strategically important naval actions of the War of 1812. Actually the Niagara was Perry's second flagship during the battle. He transfered his flag from the Lawrence when she was too shot up to continue the fight.  

Barabbas

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2003, 04:02:53 pm »
Have NONE of you ever heard of the....

{drum roll please....}

New....

Joy....

...Zee?

Most decorated  battleship  in United States Navy history?

Anyone?  Anyone?

Bueller?

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Barabbas »

Kmelew

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2003, 04:16:06 pm »
Quote:

Have NONE of you ever heard of the....

{drum roll please....}

New....

Joy....

...Zee?

Most decorated  battleship  in United States Navy history?

Anyone?  Anyone?

Bueller?

"Firepower for Freedom"

I have some pictures of the exterior and interior of the ship, including a 16" turret.  I will try to scan them soon and post them.

BTW the "Big J" is the longest of the Iowa-class ships, by about 6".  This is because the Philadelphia Naval Yard workers, many who were from NJ, left a piece steel in the bow that was normally cut off.  They wanted the New Jersey to stand out from her sisters.

GE-Raven

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2003, 04:30:39 pm »
Monitor and Virginia?

Edmund Fitzgerald?

GE-Raven

Taldren_Erin

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2003, 04:38:47 pm »
Quote:

I've got you all beat. One ship that has struck fear into every sailor. The Flying Dutchman!  

=)  

Dogmatix!

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2003, 05:26:51 pm »
Quote:

I've got you all beat. One ship that has struck fear into every sailor. The Flying Dutchman!  

Isn't that the Mary Celeste?

Uss_Defiant

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2003, 06:26:02 pm »
Prinz eugen
Tirpitz
Schornst (spelling error i'm sure...)

JMM

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2003, 06:32:52 pm »

Uss_Defiant

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2003, 07:43:27 pm »
lol.. thank you my good sir.  

KOTH-Steel Claw

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2003, 08:03:15 pm »
In that vein, don't forget the Graf Spee

KOTH-Steel Claw

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2003, 08:10:21 pm »

Quote:

USS Niagara.  Ok now, how many of you out there know what the significance of this ship is?  

The actual battle took place off of Put-in-Bay (a small island) in the western part of Lake Erie. And yes, it was a pivotal battle in the War of 1812. How do I know? Easy, I lived in Perrysburg, Ohio (named after, you got it, Perry himself).

If you go to Put-in-Bay  there is a tower you can go up in and a little history on the battle there as well. You can also rent a bike and ride around the island. You have to take a ferry out ot the island (I believe it runs from Port Clinton, Ohio), and I believe there was a small airstrip.  

KOTH-Steel Claw

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2003, 08:12:25 pm »
Even though I listed some other ships, I agree with your choice Sethan. The Enterprise has enjoyed a long and distinguished carrer, both as a carrier (twice) and even before then.

Lots of good canfdidates.  

Strafer

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2003, 09:31:59 pm »
Schooner or later someone will mention the Bluenose.

Dime if it's gonna be me tho...

La'ra

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2003, 10:27:57 pm »
USS Constitution.

USS Enterprise.

Andrea Doria.

Titanic.

Queen Anne's Revenge. Arrrr!  

BortaS

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2003, 12:21:09 am »
Quote:

Quote:

USS Niagara.  Ok now, how many of you out there know what the significance of this ship is?  

The actual battle took place off of Put-in-Bay (a small island) in the western part of Lake Erie. And yes, it was a pivotal battle in the War of 1812. How do I know? Easy, I lived in Perrysburg, Ohio (named after, you got it, Perry himself).

If you go to Put-in-Bay  there is a tower you can go up in and a little history on the battle there as well. You can also rent a bike and ride around the island. You have to take a ferry out ot the island (I believe it runs from Port Clinton, Ohio), and I believe there was a small airstrip.  

There is a ferry from Catabawa as well.  It was the first and only time a British fleet was captured.  Commodore Perry had a distinquished career.  He opened up Japan.

Put-in-Bay is a great party island.  The world's longest bar is there.  Also America's oldest continuiously run bar is there.  My family is from another island next to it called Kelley's Island.  My grandmother was a Kelley.  And as she often reminded me, it's English, not Irish!  That is what the "ey" was for. LOL  That generation hated the Irish! And she let me know it.

TB613

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2003, 06:08:27 am »
BortaS, The British fleet at the Battle of Plattsburgh September 11, 1814 on Lake Champlain had its four "large" ships and some of its gunboats captured by the American fleet. So while the capture of the British fleet by Perry was the first for the British it also unfortunately for the British was not the last.  

KOTH-Steel Claw

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2003, 06:57:12 am »
Forgot all about Catabawa Island. Our middle school math teacher had a cottage there and invited his class there for a picnic.  

BortaS

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2003, 08:24:54 am »
Quote:

BortaS, The British fleet at the Battle of Plattsburgh September 11, 1814 on Lake Champlain had its four "large" ships and some of its gunboats captured by the American fleet. So while the capture of the British fleet by Perry was the first for the British it also unfortunately for the British was not the last.  

Actually what I ment to say was it was the only time a British fleet surrended.  You are correct that the a British fleet was captured at Champlain, but the fleet did not surrender.  Then again, some would argue that the use of the words fleet actions to describe those battles might be a little generous.

Tremok

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2003, 09:32:54 am »
 Most popular?

Enterprise or Noah's Ark.