Topic: Been thinking about that Fed SCS mini...  (Read 5648 times)

anduril

Re: Been thinking about that Fed SCS mini...
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2003, 11:38:31 am »
Funny thing that nick and my sometimers disease.

Read the series for the first time sometime in the mid 70's or so and when I was introduced to D&D in 79 it became the name of my first character.  Been using it ever since.  

Five years ago I was online giving all I got in a game of Quake3 and another player "Queen of Denial" (another good name) says...

Great choice of name Anduril!

In between rails I reply "Thanks!"  Short answer cause you only have a short time between shots.  I play a little longer and it dawns on me.  I'd forgotten where the heck I'd gotten the name.  So a little later I come back with..

"Hey QoD, been using the name so long and I suffer from old age retardedness.  Where does that name come from?"  She tells me and I'm like d'oh.  I knew that.  Either those synapses went dead, got scrambled and needed beer to reconnect them or the dreaded sometimers had me at that moment.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by anduril »

anduril

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2003, 09:30:53 am »
Alright, a bit tired of coming up with fighter pads on the carrier so I'll mess with this a bit.  By the looks of that very finely crafted and molded mini ADB released it seems the mechlinks are in two rows of six down the spine of the ship.  Which fits with the description "each column of three a-20's".

But it also calls the "bay" or "shuttle box" (in sfb terms) semi external.  Now looking at the mini they are completely external if you ask me.  Unless of course you consider the warp engine overhead the top of the semi enclosed structure....

If I was to arrange the shuttles in the fashion of the second pic I could fabricate a structure, albiet flimsy, that semi encloses the shuttles.  Who's to say the enclosure isn't completed by a force field?  Just thoughts....

Anthony_Scott

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2003, 09:51:52 am »
Quote:

Alright, a bit tired of coming up with fighter pads on the carrier so I'll mess with this a bit.  By the looks of that very finely crafted and molded mini ADB released it seems the mechlinks are in two rows of six down the spine of the ship.  Which fits with the description "each column of three a-20's".

But it also calls the "bay" or "shuttle box" (in sfb terms) semi external.  Now looking at the mini they are completely external if you ask me.  

If I was to arrange the shuttles in the fashion of the second pic I could fabricate a structure, albiet flimsy, that semi encloses the shuttles.  Who's to say the enclosure isn't completed by a force field?  Just thoughts....

Been following this particular thread with growing intrest....

Seems to me that the second arrangement would be more practical for launching said fighters in two directions at once, kinda like modern French and American carriers can launch two to three aircraft at once.

But as far enclosures, I would over-engineer things and keep a physical covering for the launch bays. Shields and force fields go down with often terrible results but a solid hull takes alot of pounding to be totally ruptured. Just my two cents worth.

Good work though!

Semper Fi, Carry Onh

Kaenyne

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2003, 09:52:51 am »
Well, I like th efirst arrangement to be honest. My idea would be to have some kind of magnetic grapplers underneath each shuttle/fighter. It could be represented by a simple pad of some sort.

Just my own two cents...

Rod O'neal

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2003, 10:18:47 am »
I like the 2nd. It looks like they'd be easier to make "semi-internal". On a seperate note, (What do you mean, you didn't ask for any seperate notes?) I like open hanger bay doors. Just an idea, when you get around to them. In case you don't ask.  

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2003, 01:22:32 pm »
Where will the other 12 ftrs go, underneath the six jeffries shuttles? Doesnt seem like enough space for 12...

The Jeffries shuttles look great btw!

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2003, 01:23:29 pm »
Quote:

Read the series for the first time sometime in the mid 70's or so and when I was introduced to D&D in 79 it became the name of my first character.  Been using it ever since.  

I used Tar-Palantir for my primary character, a magic-user. I need not reference that since Im sure everybody here has also read the Silmarillion...

anduril

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2003, 01:37:37 pm »
Read it many moons ago...way many.

Only six actual bays per side sir.  Just like the CVA.   They do the shuffling amongst the 12 per side internally.

Prolly should mention that the ship is a bit under sized.  Not all that much but enough that it will give me a little more room to make a structure over the a-20's.

Rogue

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2003, 01:44:44 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I used Tar-Palantir for my primary character, a magic-user. I need not reference that since Im sure everybody here has also read the Silmarillion...

I did, I did! IMHO, I thought that if any of Tolkiens tales were to be commited to film I would have chosen the story of Beren and Luthien. It might be the toughest quest ever laid upon a man in all of literature.

"I will place the hand of my daughter in your hand when you place a Simaril from the crown of Morgoth in my hand."
"Very well. If the king of the elven sets the price of their daughters for such a meager wage, I will pay it."

Of course I'm paraphrasing but I thought it was one of the best comebacks... ever!  

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2003, 02:11:34 pm »
Ah ha  I see.

Ya know, this design is starting to grow on me, I am liking it more and more...

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2003, 02:15:40 pm »
I would recommend reading "Lost Tales" if you havent already, really sheds light on First and Second age stuff, esp. concerning Galadriel and the Sundering of the Elves. Das Recommenden!

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2003, 04:34:47 am »
Quote:

But it also calls the "bay" or "shuttle box" (in sfb terms) semi external.  Now looking at the mini they are completely external if you ask me.  Unless of course you consider the warp engine overhead the top of the semi enclosed structure....

Second Arrangement makes more sense to me I like your take on the A20 Shuttles not the blocky things that ADB put out in schematic form in their captain Logs and nexus magazines .  The covering would look nice as a Transparent Aluminum shell with a Tritanium frame.   I'm looking forward to seeing the final Results your doing fantastic work on her
Thanks for sharing your ideas.    

anduril

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2003, 05:56:45 am »
You can thank Lord Schtupp for finding those little gems.  I've been to the site before but never ever went through the section they were in.  When he showed me a project that had a pic of them in I instantly thought the same thing he did.
Heavy shuttle!  They're just quickie jobs for scaling.

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2003, 12:14:45 pm »
Well you know - great minds etc. etc.  

I also see you've been putting in some late nights...  

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2003, 04:25:42 pm »
and I get up early in the morning to see if anything new is going on the forum. Bump to the top    

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2003, 07:30:19 am »
Bump so  this stays on page one  

anduril

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2003, 09:37:02 am »
Nothing exciting to report as I've picked up a severe design block on this thing so I'm biding my time reworking the mesh of the Romulan V4.

Just a garage type layout I was playing with.

Rod O'neal

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2003, 10:35:04 am »
Quote:

Nothing exciting to report as I've picked up a severe design block on this thing so I'm biding my time reworking the mesh of the Romulan V4.

Just a garage type layout I was playing with.    

This model's looking fantastic. I like the "garage". Maybe make the top of it narrower to enhance the visual effect of the exposed ftrs? More "external" on the "semi-internal" mech-links. When you do the textures it would look cool to have the edges of the openings lit to give it the look of force fields. If that would work?  

Anthony_Scott

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2003, 12:54:22 pm »
I dig the garage concept!

Semper Fi, Carry On

anduril

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2003, 01:08:34 pm »
Kinda my thinking.  I had the openings circular and they went up higher but the poly count was going up proportionately.  So I went with the square pattern for now.  I'll cut it up higher.  The glowy along the doors won't be a prob since I have to model the inside anyways so I'll have a rim around the doors.