Topic: If you make any ,what goes into your stew?  (Read 15389 times)

Khalee

If you make any ,what goes into your stew?
« on: January 22, 2004, 01:28:31 pm »
Ive got the meat, got a potato, got a bit of onion left, what else.

Re: If you make any ,what goes into your stew?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 01:36:25 pm »
You need some kind of leavening to thicken the stew. Leavening is made by beating soft butter into flour until it's kind of pasty.

Carrots are good.
Mushrooms
Maybe some leeks
Black olives (very Provencale)
Various spices, particulary rosemary and bay leaves.

JMM

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 02:23:41 pm »
If you want it thick, just a TAD bit of cornstarch, very cheap, we down here in Texas do the same with our chili. Can you believe the Mexicans never really tried our chili? To them, chili means pepper, and I am going to shock Vicky's family with a dish from hell next month!

Just goes to show the cultural divide between the Mexicans and hispanics that reside in the U.S.  

Sirgod

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 09:31:25 pm »
Some form of Tomatoes My friend, You have to have some tomatoes.

Carrots are good, and the other things the Guys mentioned are great ideas.

Stephen

Khalee

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 02:14:35 am »
Another question What do you do first, Make the broth or kinda throw it all together. Which is probably why the stews Ive made in the past dont come out all that woopy.

Sirgod

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 02:26:50 am »
Actually what I do, Is slow boil the Beef with a few Spices (Garlic,Onion Powder, bullion,etc...)

then I add the Other ingriedients. For example Green Beans, carrots, onions, Potatoes, More Garlic, etc... I let It simmer slowely for along time.

another real good hint with stew, is after you make It, refrigerate It for a day or two. For some reason, when It's re-heated, It taste's alot better, has more flavor.

But then again, this is just too my taste Buds, But you know what, I'm thinking of making stew in the next few days thanks to this post.  

Stephen

Khalee

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 02:59:28 am »
Slow Boil? new one on me.

Sirgod

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 04:50:12 am »
Quote:

Here you go My Friend, Maybe this well help you abit with that.

linkie poo

Stephen

KOTH-Steel Claw

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 08:44:04 am »
Some green beans, carrots, garlic, black pepper, dash of paprika. To thicken it up I mix some flour and water and then mix this in. I prefer flour over corn starch. You have to be careful using flour so that it doesn't clump (unless of course, you want to make some dumplings instead).  

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 08:48:16 am »
Quote:

Some green beans, carrots, garlic, black pepper, dash of paprika. To thicken it up I mix some flour and water and then mix this in. I prefer flour over corn starch. You have to be careful using flour so that it doesn't clump (unless of course, you want to make some dumplings instead).  

That's where the butter comes in.

KOTH-Steel Claw

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 09:15:31 am »
Good point. Also tastes good.

Losiack

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 12:50:52 pm »
The variety of the information found in those forums never ceases to amaze me

Losiack

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2004, 01:10:00 pm »
Here's the best way to season your stew if you want to take some time and do it right.

Make a "spice bag"

Got to the supermarket and get FRESH spices (most big ubermarkets sell them in little plastic containers now)

Thyme
Rosemary
Parsley
Bay leaves
Peppercorns
Orange rind (but just use a little, it's very strong)
Garlic (ditto)

Get some cheese cloth and some twine and tie them up in the cheese cloth. Throw the whole bag while it's slow-cooking.

mmmmmmmmmm  

P.S. Don't eat the bag !!

Sirgod

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2004, 02:39:38 pm »
Quote:

Here's the best way to season your stew if you want to take some time and do it right.

Make a "spice bag"

Got to the supermarket and get FRESH spices (most big ubermarkets sell them in little plastic containers now)

Thyme
Rosemary
Parsley
Bay leaves
Peppercorns
Garlic (ditto)

Get some cheese cloth and some twine and tie them up in the cheese cloth. Throw the whole bag while it's slow-cooking.

mmmmmmmmmm  

Hehe, That's one of my wifes secret things she does when Making sauce for her Lasangia. (sp) She claims It's easier to remove the Bay leaf's after words, then looking for them with a spoon.

Stephen

Khalee

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2004, 04:36:51 pm »
Well I started my stew gonna slow cook it all night.  Going to add the potato and vegies just befor I go to bed. Aught to be pretty good tomorrow.

TheShadow

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2004, 06:12:28 pm »
 Ok, I know you've already started your stew, but here's my own recipe. (I make several types, but this is for beef stew).

Purchase a piece of meat. Buy a good cut. Look for alot of good marbling. Then the night before you are going to make the stew, cut up the meat into 1-1 1/2 in. thick, steak-like portions and tenderize them by pounding them with a mallet or the side of a saucer. Once you are done cut them into 1 cubic in. pieces.

In a pot put 1 cup each of beer, apple juice, tomato juice. To this mixture add 2 diced cloves garlic, 1 tsp. black pepper, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 bay leaves. (Use a spice bag). Bring mixture to a boil and continue for 10 minutes. Pour over meat in a bowl, cover, and allow to marinate for 24 hours.

When you go to cook, remove meat from marinade, reserve marinade, allow meat to drain. Put meat seasoned flour (2 cups flour, 2 tsp black pepper, and 1 tsp salt.  In a large preheated dutchoven, put 2 Tbsp. oil. Place meat in and cook until browned. Cover and place in a moderately heated oven, 250-275 F. Cook for 1/2 hour. While it is cooking, prepare vegetables making sure that they are diced to about the same size as the meat.

2 lbs diced potatoes
1 onion
2 green bell peppers
3 carrots
3 stalks of celery
Peas, corn, or green beans (or a combination of all three). Roughly one can
2-3 whole skinned tomatoes, diced

After the meat has cooked, add vegetables, remainder of marinade,cover, and return to oven. Add enough water to cover meat and veggies. Allow to cook at 300F, for 11/2-2 hours. Sauce should thicken while cooking.

EE

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2004, 06:51:39 pm »
cat hair

damned cat was not a long hair when I got him

TheBigCheese

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2004, 03:12:27 am »
My Grandma's recipe

Lancashire Hot Pot:

8 x 175g/6oz middle neck lamb chops
4 lamb kidneys, cored and sliced (optional)
oysters (optional)
1kg/2lb potatoes, sliced
250g/8oz onions, sliced
250g/8oz carrots, sliced
salt and pepper
300ml/10fl oz veal or lamb stock
25g/1oz lard or dripping
shortcrust pastry to 'top the pot'

served with pickled red cabbage or pickled beetroot  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by TheBigCheese »

Sirgod

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2004, 01:10:20 pm »
God that sounds good Bigcheese, But my wife would never go for It, as she can't stand Lamb... Maybe If I substitiued It with Goat she might go for It though.

But It does sound very good.

Stephen

PS how did your stew turn out Khallee?

Khalee

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2004, 01:38:33 pm »
Not bad, got a pretty good broth this time as well not to thick not to runny. But I still need to learn how much spices to put in, its edable but I over did it on one of the spices. The Lemon pepper I think, So Im going to be drinking lots of milk along with the stew to cut down on the flavor.

TheBigCheese

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2004, 01:56:02 pm »
You can use beef instead  

and add lots of pepper

Sirgod

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2004, 04:13:11 pm »
That sounds good also. I just finished some Lasagnia, and Have It in the Oven baking right now. Not near as good as my wifes, But IT'll do in a pinch.  

Oh glad to hear about your stew Khallee, I use Lemon Pepper alot with Fish recipes actually.

stephen

Khalee

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2004, 01:28:31 pm »

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2004, 01:36:25 pm »
You need some kind of leavening to thicken the stew. Leavening is made by beating soft butter into flour until it's kind of pasty.

Carrots are good.
Mushrooms
Maybe some leeks

JMM

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2004, 02:23:41 pm »
If you want it thick, just a TAD bit of cornstarch, very cheap, we down here in Texas do the same with our chili. Can you believe the Mexicans never really tried our chili? To them, chili means pepper, and I am going to shock Vicky's family with a dish from hell next month!

Just goes to show the cultural divide between the Mexicans and hispanics that reside in the U.S.  

Sirgod

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2004, 09:31:25 pm »

Stephen

Khalee

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2004, 02:14:35 am »
Another question What do you do first, Make the broth or kinda throw it all together. Which is probably why the stews Ive made in the past dont come out all that woopy.

Sirgod

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2004, 02:26:50 am »
Actually what I do, Is slow boil the Beef with a few Spices (Garlic,Onion Powder, bullion,etc...)

then I add the Other ingriedients. For example Green Beans, carrots, onions, Potatoes, More Garlic, etc... I let It simmer slowely for along time.

another real good hint with stew, is after you make It, refrigerate It for a day or two. For some reason, when It's re-heated, It taste's alot better, has more flavor.

But then again, this is just too my taste Buds, But you know what, I'm thinking of making stew in the next few days thanks to this post.  

Stephen

Khalee

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2004, 02:59:28 am »

Sirgod

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2004, 04:50:12 am »
Quote:

linkie poo

Stephen

KOTH-Steel Claw

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2004, 08:44:04 am »

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2004, 08:48:16 am »
Quote:

KOTH-Steel Claw

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2004, 09:15:31 am »

Losiack

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2004, 12:50:52 pm »

Losiack

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2004, 01:10:00 pm »

Make a "spice bag"

Thyme
Rosemary
Parsley
Bay leaves
Peppercorns
Garlic (ditto)

mmmmmmmmmm  

Sirgod

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2004, 02:39:38 pm »
Quote:

Make a "spice bag"

Thyme
Rosemary
Parsley
Bay leaves
Peppercorns
Garlic (ditto)

mmmmmmmmmm  

Hehe, That's one of my wifes secret things she does when Making sauce for her Lasangia. (sp) She claims It's easier to remove the Bay leaf's after words, then looking for them with a spoon.

Stephen

Khalee

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2004, 04:36:51 pm »
Well I started my stew gonna slow cook it all night.  Going to add the potato and vegies just befor I go to bed. Aught to be pretty good tomorrow.

TheShadow

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2004, 06:12:28 pm »
 Ok, I know you've already started your stew, but here's my own recipe. (I make several types, but this is for beef stew).

Purchase a piece of meat. Buy a good cut. Look for alot of good marbling. Then the night before you are going to make the stew, cut up the meat into 1-1 1/2 in. thick, steak-like portions and tenderize them by pounding them with a mallet or the side of a saucer. Once you are done cut them into 1 cubic in. pieces.

In a pot put 1 cup each of beer, apple juice, tomato juice. To this mixture add 2 diced cloves garlic, 1 tsp. black pepper, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 bay leaves. (Use a spice bag). Bring mixture to a boil and continue for 10 minutes. Pour over meat in a bowl, cover, and allow to marinate for 24 hours.

When you go to cook, remove meat from marinade, reserve marinade, allow meat to drain. Put meat seasoned flour (2 cups flour, 2 tsp black pepper, and 1 tsp salt.  In a large preheated dutchoven, put 2 Tbsp. oil. Place meat in and cook until browned. Cover and place in a moderately heated oven, 250-275 F. Cook for 1/2 hour. While it is cooking, prepare vegetables making sure that they are diced to about the same size as the meat.

2 lbs diced potatoes
1 onion
2 green bell peppers
3 carrots
3 stalks of celery

After the meat has cooked, add vegetables, remainder of marinade,cover, and return to oven. Add enough water to cover meat and veggies. Allow to cook at 300F, for 11/2-2 hours. Sauce should thicken while cooking.

EE

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2004, 06:51:39 pm »
cat hair

TheBigCheese

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2004, 03:12:27 am »
My Grandma's recipe

Lancashire Hot Pot:

oysters (optional)
1kg/2lb potatoes, sliced
250g/8oz onions, sliced
250g/8oz carrots, sliced
salt and pepper
25g/1oz lard or dripping

Sirgod

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2004, 01:10:20 pm »
God that sounds good Bigcheese, But my wife would never go for It, as she can't stand Lamb... Maybe If I substitiued It with Goat she might go for It though.

Stephen

Khalee

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2004, 01:38:33 pm »
Not bad, got a pretty good broth this time as well not to thick not to runny. But I still need to learn how much spices to put in, its edable but I over did it on one of the spices. The Lemon pepper I think, So Im going to be drinking lots of milk along with the stew to cut down on the flavor.

TheBigCheese

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2004, 01:56:02 pm »
You can use beef instead  

and add lots of pepper

Sirgod

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2004, 04:13:11 pm »
That sounds good also. I just finished some Lasagnia, and Have It in the Oven baking right now. Not near as good as my wifes, But IT'll do in a pinch.  

Oh glad to hear about your stew Khallee, I use Lemon Pepper alot with Fish recipes actually.

stephen

Khalee

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2004, 01:28:31 pm »

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2004, 01:36:25 pm »

Carrots are good.
Mushrooms
Maybe some leeks

JMM

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2004, 02:23:41 pm »

Sirgod

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2004, 09:31:25 pm »

Stephen

Khalee

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2004, 02:14:35 am »

Sirgod

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2004, 02:26:50 am »

Stephen

Khalee

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2004, 02:59:28 am »

Sirgod

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2004, 04:50:12 am »
Quote:

linkie poo

Stephen

KOTH-Steel Claw

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2004, 08:44:04 am »

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2004, 08:48:16 am »
Quote:

KOTH-Steel Claw

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2004, 09:15:31 am »

Losiack

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2004, 12:50:52 pm »

Losiack

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2004, 01:10:00 pm »

Make a "spice bag"

Thyme
Rosemary
Parsley
Bay leaves
Peppercorns
Garlic (ditto)

mmmmmmmmmm  

Sirgod

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2004, 02:39:38 pm »
Quote:

Make a "spice bag"

Thyme
Rosemary
Parsley
Bay leaves
Peppercorns
Garlic (ditto)

mmmmmmmmmm  

Stephen

Khalee

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2004, 04:36:51 pm »

TheShadow

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2004, 06:12:28 pm »

2 lbs diced potatoes
1 onion
2 green bell peppers
3 carrots
3 stalks of celery

EE

« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2004, 06:51:39 pm »
cat hair

TheBigCheese

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2004, 03:12:27 am »
My Grandma's recipe

Lancashire Hot Pot:

oysters (optional)
1kg/2lb potatoes, sliced
250g/8oz onions, sliced
250g/8oz carrots, sliced
salt and pepper
25g/1oz lard or dripping

Sirgod

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2004, 01:10:20 pm »

Stephen

Khalee

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2004, 01:38:33 pm »

TheBigCheese

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2004, 01:56:02 pm »
You can use beef instead  

and add lots of pepper

Sirgod

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2004, 04:13:11 pm »

stephen